Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Several issues with Orbi Mesh Wifi

Orbz
Aspirant

Several issues with Orbi Mesh Wifi

System:

RBR750 router in AP mode with two RBS750 satellites connected via ethernet, both directly to the router

1000/1000 fiber using Nokia Gateway 3 (G-240W-E) ONT with WiFi disabled

I have had several issues since I got the system about a month ago:

• Both of the satellites are connected by ethernet to the router but sometimes the network map in the Orbi app shows the connection as router -> satellite 1-> satellite 2 or router -> satellite 2-> satellite 1. 
  • Some 2.4GHz devices see my network 3 separate times with the same name, which I'm assuming is one from the router and one from each satellite.
  • Phones connected to the network frequently disconnect prompting "Couldn't get IP address" error
  • Phones occasionally display in the Orib app as having a wired connection when they do not
  • Roku on 5GHz buffers and the Orbi app shows a connection of 6 Mbps when my phone speed tests >500Mbps at the same location.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to trouble shoot next? I am not sure if these issues are related and I'm running out of ideas to try. I would hate to return the system if I am overlooking something simple that can be configured.

Would it be useful to have my ISP place my ONT in bridge mode and change the router back to router mode? Any advice is welcome!

Message 1 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

I would start by ignoring the app and any display inconsistencies you might observe there that are not reflected in the orbilogin.com admin website.  The multiple SSIDs is normal due to the various mesh locations.

> Phones connected to the network frequently disconnect prompting "Couldn't get IP address" error

You should certainly not be getting any phone errors.  What type of phones are these?  Do these errors occur when you are using a specific app or browser to access a website (I have an iPhone and am not familiar with ever seeing "couldn't get IP address" error).

Is your Orbi using the default DHCP settings?  What, if anything, have you changed from the system defaults?

For the 5Ghz Roku buffering issue, how far away is the Roku from the Orbi base or satellite?

For speed test variances, you can try some of the steps in the community FAQ to isolate where any speed bumps are occuring: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 5
Orbz
Aspirant

The IP address error has happened on two phones, both Samsungs (Note9 and Galaxy S8+) and happens once every several days. I haven't noticed it happening after using a specific app or website. When clicking on more information about the error, it states:
"Your phone couldn't get an IP address from the router. Try turning the router off, then on again. If the router doesnt belong to you, try contacting the owner. Is the router being used by many people? If all available IP addresses are being used, it may not be possible to connect to the network. It may help to set a shorter IP address lease time in your renter's DHCP settings."
I only have 16 devices connected to the network and have restarted the router several times without change.

I havent changed any DHCP settings from the default. The only settings change I made was to put the router into AP mode in attempt to solve the IP address issue which made no difference.

The Roku is about 20 ft from the router with a wall in between and about 30 feet from the closest satellite with nearly a direct line of sight, just slightly around one corner. Other devices perform just fine around it and I'm showing around -45dbm on the app. The Roku performs better on 2.4GHz when it changes over but there isn't a way I have found to manually select the frequency.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the RBR connected to the ISP ONT? Using the WAN port on the back of the RBR to the ISP ONT? 

If your still having problems with these two devies and DHCP when in AP Mode, i would check with your ISP ONT router since you have a built in router with the ONT. Set IP address reservations there for these two devices. 

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #2...

Be sure your ISP ONTs wifi radios are fully OFF or Disabled.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Check with the mfr of these devices as well. If other devices are working and these two are not, there maybe a problem with these two devices. 

@Orbz wrote:
The IP address error has happened on two phones, both Samsungs (Note9 and Galaxy S8+) and happens once every several days. I haven't noticed it happening after using a specific app or website. When clicking on more information about the error, it states:
"Your phone couldn't get an IP address from the router. Try turning the router off, then on again. If the router doesnt belong to you, try contacting the owner. Is the router being used by many people? If all available IP addresses are being used, it may not be possible to connect to the network. It may help to set a shorter IP address lease time in your renter's DHCP settings."
I only have 16 devices connected to the network and have restarted the router several times without change.

I havent changed any DHCP settings from the default. The only settings change I made was to put the router into AP mode in attempt to solve the IP address issue which made no difference.

The Roku is about 20 ft from the router with a wall in between and about 30 feet from the closest satellite with nearly a direct line of sight, just slightly around one corner. Other devices perform just fine around it and I'm showing around -45dbm on the app. The Roku performs better on 2.4GHz when it changes over but there isn't a way I have found to manually select the frequency.

Message 4 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

Sorry, I can't think of why your two Android phones would be getting these IP address errors.  The explanation does not apply to your situation.  In Router mode, your phones are getting their IP from the Orbi so even with Double NAT there shouldn't be an issue getting an IP address.  One thing to try is to go into orbilogin.com, Advanced... Setup... LAN Setup and add Reserved Addresses for the two phones (check their device line and press Add at the bottom).  Again, shouldn't matter but this is one of the only IP-relevant things you can change for your Orbi.

@Orbz wrote:

It sounds like you are at the range limits for 5Ghz (which has greater throughput than 2.4Ghz but less range) and the Roku's auto-selection isn't working at its best for you.  Unfortunately if the Roku doesn't give you an option of disabling 5Ghz then there isn't a way on the Orbi side to force it to connect at 2.4Ghz.  Shouldn't matter, but for maximum wireless compatibility go to orbilogin.com Advanced... Advanced... Wireless Settings and try changing CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for both bands and/or try turning AX mode off for 5Ghz.  Maybe one of those settings will affect which band the Roku prefers.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7