Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Software/Hardware Security /Firewall/ device that works with newest orbi

wase471111
Apprentice

Software/Hardware Security /Firewall/ device that works with newest orbi

So, wondering if anyone has tried any hardware or software devices or solution to add some serious protection to the Orbi AX; devices like BitDefender Box, or Rat Trap, or software solutions that are similar?

Since Netgear didint include Armor in this device, and doesnt appear anything is going to be released soon from them, has any one gotten a 3rd party solution to work, without seriously slowing down the Speed of the Orbi?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep what is working. I wouldn't change anything. 

Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Aside fromt he built in Firewall, I haven't tried anything different. Thought I've never used Armor. Haven't seen any problems using Orbi AC or AX out of the box with just it's own firewall. 

Hopefully NG may implement Armor at a future date. 

Message 2 of 10
wase471111
Apprentice

well, the "built in" firewall isnt really much, and, with whats going on around the world, there is way too much time for hackers to spend trying to attack systems, so I have little confidence that the "firewall light" built into the Orbi will stop much, if anything..

I've used devices in the past, like Cujo and Bit Defender box 2, which have stopped hundreds of attacks and probes on my system, but I am not sure those would work on the Orbi..

I'm looking at this now, seeing if this might do the job..

https://firewalla.com/products/firewalla-blue

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can install a firewall then configure the RBR for AP mode would be a suggested configuration that would work.

Hacking and scamming as been on going for years, regardless of current events. I haven't seen any need for any additional defensive items over the years. Even if additional defenses are in place, something could get thru. Doesn't hurt to be proactive as well. 

Message 4 of 10
wase471111
Apprentice

yeah, I am trying to find a soloution that wont requiore using AP mode, since so many people seem to have issues doing that; plus, a couple of these solutions would require changing dhcp assignments, and I dont want to have to "reset" all of the 55 devices on my network with new IP addresses..

I'll keep looking, thanks for the suggestions

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you could use AP mode and set up your host router or firewall to use same IP address as your using now.

AP mode does work, RBS just need to be connected wirelessly when in AP mode. They can be connected wired however need a directly connection to the RBR. Switches are having problems in recent v10.11 FW when in AP mode with RBSs. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 10
wase471111
Apprentice

yeah, I am using one satalite in wired backhaul, connected to a switch that is connected to the router. the oither one is connected wirelessly..

the "problem" is I get 600-800 mb WIRELESS speed all over my house with my 1 gig Cox connection, so, I hate to mess with ANYTHING, since  I worked so hard to get those kinds of speeds all over the house and back yard..

thanks!

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep what is working. I wouldn't change anything. 

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Another solution to internet security would be to have a VPN installed on the computer(s) that you use to conduct financial or private communications on. That way the packets transmitted are encrypted and even though they might be intercepted they would be unintelligible to all-even your ISP. Most VPN's utilize their own DNS servers as well so your ISP will not be able to log your activity and even if they did again it would be unintelligible. I have my RBK852 running in AP mode behind an ASUS GT-AX11000 router with my VPN installed on the router-the default mode for all devices is the internet with an exception list of those devices I wish to be on the VPN. No system and I repeat no system is entirely hack proof-you just want to make it as difficult as possible without compromising stabiltiy to the would be hacker so he moves on bypassing your network.

Message 9 of 10
wase471111
Apprentice

thanks; thats exactly what I do now, as far as using a vpn...I wanted to install the VPN natively on the Orbi, but, thats not possible right now, plus, I dont like how vpn kills your download speeds. I have many IOT devices, and those are the ones I was concerned aboiut being "unprotected"..

I had the same ASUS ax11100 when it first came out, and it was great at first..I like your idea of combining the systems the way you are; my warden wouldnt allow me to spend ANIOTHER 500 to get that again, after spending 1000 on the 3 unit Orbi...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7