Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Solid magenta LED on new RBK753

PaulO1804
Aspirant

Solid magenta LED on new RBK753

Hi there, pretty frustrated at the moment. I replaced my working, but struggling BT Whole Home Wi-Fi mesh with the RBK753 and can’t get it to connect to the internet - the router just shows a solid magenta light - the 2 satellites seem ok. The app shows the router to be ‘offline’ but doesn’t give any guidance of what to do to resolve this. S

I’ve re-run set up a few times, deleted and reinstalled the app, pressed reset to restore factory settings and finally given up and gone back to my old BT mesh set up. I also continued to use the same Orbi- supplied cable when re-connecting the BT system - I’m now back online.

So I know it’s not the cable, it’s not the ISP provided router/modem on which I have the Wi-Fi signal switched off, it’s not the supply of a decent signal into my home because the BT system is now back up and running fine

It’s probably worth noting that when setting up the Orbi router the app at first couldn’t find it after 3 attempts but then randomly sorted itself out. But proceeding through the rest of the set up process, I got to the firmware update page and it just won’t update - I’ve tried about 5 or more times and each time it fails.

Any advice to resolve this will be much appreciated
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
PaulO1804
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 I’m gonna close this and mark it solved and come back if I have any more issues. I probably won’t get a chance to fiddle around with the routers for another few days.

Thanks a lot for your advice, which really helped me sort this out

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? If it's got a built in router, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 2 of 12
PaulO1804
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38 thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I’m in the UK and the ISP is a company called PlusNet, and it’s their Hub One router I’m using.

I’ve had a look on their support community site and it doesn’t look like they support bridge mode for that device. I’ve also seen something on here saying you can’t use the netgear app if the RBR750 (or any of their routers) is in AP mode.

I think AP mode is the most straightforward option (I think) so the question is, will I have limited functionality if I can’t use the app, and if so what will I be losing?
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi app is limited in any mode. Mostly to see what is connected, you can stop access per device, speed test and thats about it. The app works in both router and AP mode. At least on the 8 series Orbi. I presume 7 series it should as well since there both close in nature and HW san some wireless speed supported rates on 2.4Ghz and memory and LAN ports, FW is same code base. So the app should work on the 7 series as well. 

Message 4 of 12
PaulO1804
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Ok great, thanks. I'll have a look at setting up the AP this evening and let you know how it goes.

I also found this: https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Some of those disabled functions are I think available through the PlusNet Hub One. Also, I've got a fixed IP address from my ISP because I have a NAS that I want to set up a link to a remote backup NAS. So it probably makes sense to keep the functionality of the PlusNet router and limit the functions on the Orbi.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

That is wise. 

Message 6 of 12
PaulO1804
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Ok, so interesting experience. I went through a fresh install, had a number of issues, including a continuous loop on a password refresh page I didn’t request! Finally, after about 3 failed attempts to install, everything sorted itself out and the system did a seamless and complete install....in router mode! No need to set up AP or anything, which is strange and unexpected.

The Orbi has reassigned all my device IP addresses, which shouldn’t be an issue, except for my NAS, which I’ll look to sort out later.

I’ve left everything running for 2 days and everything is working fine - in fact web pages on my iPhone X Max are pinging around at lightening speed - which is great.

One question. There’s an option on the Orbi to assign DHCP addresses. Should I leave this on? Or if I turn it off will it revert to the ISP router to do this?
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@PaulO1804 wrote:
@FURRYe38Ok, so interesting experience. I went through a fresh install, had a number of issues, including a continuous loop on a password refresh page I didn’t request! Finally, after about 3 failed attempts to install, everything sorted itself out and the system did a seamless and complete install....in router mode! No need to set up AP or anything, which is strange and unexpected.
Sometimes browser caches can get hosed up and there not cleared out normally by the system so it's best to clear out any browser caches before starting a setup process. 

The Orbi has reassigned all my device IP addresses, which shouldn’t be an issue, except for my NAS, which I’ll look to sort out later.

I’ve left everything running for 2 days and everything is working fine - in fact web pages on my iPhone X Max are pinging around at lightening speed - which is great.

One question. There’s an option on the Orbi to assign DHCP addresses. Should I leave this on? Or if I turn it off will it revert to the ISP router to do this?

I would leave DHCP on the RBR enabled. If everything is working then you can keep using the RBR as your main host router. Just move everyone over from the ISP router and connect to the RBR. I would set the ISP modems DMZ up for the IP address the RBR is given so that you can avoid any connectio problems while having two routers online at the same time. 

Message 8 of 12
PaulO1804
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 ‘Sometimes browser caches can get hosed up and there not cleared out normally by the system so it's best to clear out any browser caches before starting a setup process.’

Ok thanks, that makes sense and lesson noted for future

‘I would set the ISP modems DMZ up for the IP address the RBR is given so that you can avoid any connectio problems while having two routers online at the same time.’

I have to admit I don’t know what this means. But I’ll have a dig around later and see what I find
Message 9 of 12
PaulO1804
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 I’m gonna close this and mark it solved and come back if I have any more issues. I probably won’t get a chance to fiddle around with the routers for another few days.

Thanks a lot for your advice, which really helped me sort this out

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors