Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed degradation over time?

dtay
Luminary

Speed degradation over time?

I've got a strange one and have been able to duplicate the issue.  Note that I have not done a full factory reset/set up again yet due to the need to schedule an outage window, with a household WFH and in distance learning, etc.  

i have a 1 Gbps Fios network and what I have noticed is that when I run the speed test (using fast.com) on my Chrome browser via my HP Elitebook laptop (it has 802.11ax, so it's connecting at 1201 Mbps/735 Mbps per Windows), it reports that the speeds are anywhere from 1.5 Kbps (!) to < 10 Mbps.  This is when the client is connected to one of the RBS units, which are connected back to the RBR via a wired backhaul connection.  When I reboot the RBS and have the client connect back to the same RBS, the speeds would resume back to about 350-500 Mbps on the fast.com speed test.  This would last maybe for hours, days, a week, max, but then it would drop back down to those horrendous speeds.  This is reproducible.  Firmware is V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.

I'm going to try and do a full factory reset/reconfigure again but until then, has anyone noticed similar symptoms?

Enable 20/40 MHz coexistence is enabled

CTS/RTS Threshold at 2437 (needed that for kids school Chromebooks)

Armor is enabled (tried disabling it, made no difference)

Preamble mode is automatic for both bands

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Speed degradation over time?

@dtay wrote:

I've got a strange one and have been able to duplicate the issue.  Note that I have not done a full factory reset/set up again yet due to the need to schedule an outage window, with a household WFH and in distance learning, etc.  

i have a 1 Gbps Fios network and what I have noticed is that when I run the speed test (using fast.com) on my Chrome browser via my HP Elitebook laptop (it has 802.11ax, so it's connecting at 1201 Mbps/735 Mbps per Windows), it reports that the speeds are anywhere from 1.5 Kbps (!) to < 10 Mbps.  This is when the client is connected to one of the RBS units, which are connected back to the RBR via a wired backhaul connection.  When I reboot the RBS and have the client connect back to the same RBS, the speeds would resume back to about 350-500 Mbps on the fast.com speed test.  This would last maybe for hours, days, a week, max, but then it would drop back down to those horrendous speeds.  This is reproducible.  Firmware is V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.

What happens if you use Ooklas Installable speed test app as well when you notice this in Chrome and using the other speed test site? 

What are your wired speed test results with a wired PC or laptop? 

I'm going to try and do a full factory reset/reconfigure again but until then, has anyone noticed similar symptoms?

Enable 20/40 MHz coexistence is enabled Try disabling this.

Armor is enabled (tried disabling it, made no difference) When you disable Armor, be sure to power OFF the RBR for 30 seconds then back ON. Sometimes Armor can still be running in the background after its disabled. Best way to ensure this is a factory reset though. 

Message 2 of 4
dtay
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@dtay wrote:

What happens if you use Ooklas Installable speed test app as well when you notice this in Chrome and using the other speed test site? 

What are your wired speed test results with a wired PC or laptop? 

Enable 20/40 MHz coexistence is enabled Try disabling this.

Armor is enabled (tried disabling it, made no difference) When you disable Armor, be sure to power OFF the RBR for 30 seconds then back ON. Sometimes Armor can still be running in the background after its disabled. Best way to ensure this is a factory reset though. 

I'm not able to download the Speedtest app (for Windows) due to policies enforced on this laptop with regards to software installs, hence running the web versions.

Did some furrther quick testing on wireless vs wired, each time ensuring that I am connected to the specifc RBS in question:

HP EliteBook (802.11ax, 1201/865 Mbps wirelessly to the RBS)
Speedtest.com - 105.44/390.00 Mbps (Chrome)
Speedtest.com - 68.21/61.20 Mbps (Edge)

Fast.com - 390/310 Mbps (Chrome)
Fast.com - 320/300 Mbps (Edge)

HP EliteBook (StarTech/ASIX USB-to-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, 1000 Mbps, wired to the RBS)
Speedtest.com - 82.88/65.20 Mbps (Chrome)
Speedtest.com - 108.57/107.65 Mbps (Edge)
Fast.com - 480/630 Mbps (Chrome)
Fast.com - 370/390 MBps (Edge)

I also ran Google's speed test and it came back as 55/21.3 Mbps (1ms latency).

Will do further testing when I get a chance to reboot the RBR.

Also, very tempted to cancel (do I get a prorated refund?) of my Armor subscription given all the issues/complaints that I've been reading about.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this for a home system or business? I would try to install on a PC that is personal. 

I tend to NOT use web browser speed testing. Seen each browser give different results, good and bad thus causing some inaccuracies. The installable apps are much better in regards to accuracy. 

I see near 900Mpbs on my 8 series all the time on a wired connection. WIreless, for a few of my wifi devices, sees near 700Mpbs which is good for them. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7