Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Split Wifi Networks for Orbi AX6000

AceHack
Aspirant

Split Wifi Networks for Orbi AX6000

I'm on an AX6000 and I can't get 2nd wifi split out to survive a reboot.  I've tried every other method for previous device models.

In telnet if I run

uci set wireless.FhAp2.ssid="WiFi2GName"
uci commit
/etc/init.d/wireless restart

This will make a 2nd wifi show up for a period of time until a reboot.

Also "config" is not on the system.

And with nvram, wl_ssid is always set to NETGEAR no matter what I do, and setting wla_ssid only changed the wifi name in the netgear UI nowhere else.  setting wlh_ssid will change both the 2G and 5G ssid.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Separation of SSID is not supported on Orbi AX. 

Message 2 of 11
JCasetta
Tutor

I am confused on the response from Orbi.  Hopefully you can help me as I have a similar issue.

I want to be able to split my wifi network as I am trying to connect my Wifi enable range hood, wifi enabled refrigerator, wifi enabled dishwasher, wifi enabled washer and dryer.  All of these want to connect on 2.4 and not 5ghz.  

I have tried to connect these devices but a chunk of them have failed.  

So how do I seperate the networks so that I can force them on the 2.4ghz?

Please do not tell me Netgear Orbi can not do this.  A lot of money has been spent by people purchasing the AX6000 models and it has a limitation that will not allow you to do this?  If this is the case then how soon to a firmware update to correct this issue?

Message 3 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@JCasetta wrote:

I am confused on the response from Orbi.  Hopefully you can help me as I have a similar issue.

I want to be able to split my wifi network as I am trying to connect my Wifi enable range hood, wifi enabled refrigerator, wifi enabled dishwasher, wifi enabled washer and dryer.  All of these want to connect on 2.4 and not 5ghz.  

The problem you're having may not have to do at all with 2.4Ghz vs. 5Ghz because your 2.4Ghz devices do not support and cannot see the 5Ghz network at all.  Instead, there may ne other factors affecting the wireless compatibility of your new Orbi AX system with your wifi enabled appliances.  Let's first try these changes:

1. In the latest V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 firmware in orbilogin.com Advanced... Setup Wireless you can uncheck AX mode just for 2.4Ghz.  In older firmware versions you could only uncheck AX mode for all bands.
  2. If that doesn't help, in Advanced... Advanced... Wireless Settings change CTS/RTS Threshold for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz from 64 to 2347.  I found this helped with AX 2.4Ghz wireless compatibility with many of my home devices in the older firmware versions, but it may not be necessary anymore with the latest firmware.
  3. Finally, another thing to try is in Advanced... Advanced... Wireless Settings you can temporarily change the Transmit Power Control for 5Ghz from 100% to 25%.  Then setup your older wifi devices.  Once they are setup you can restore the 5Ghz power back to 100%.

One other factor is that often these devices are setup using an app on your phone.  This can be problemmatic if your phone is connected to Orbi's 5Ghz wireless network and you select that in the app for your 2.4Ghz device (so it will not work).  Depending on how the app works internally, if the app offers an alternative method for selecting the wireless network (like typing the SSID in) then try that vs. using the networks seen on your phone.  Unfortunately your phone sees the 5Ghz network but your devices need the 2.4Ghz network.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't support separation of SSIDs on Orbi AC or AX systems. Users have asked about this and NG has not given in. I believe is there is more to just implementing this. The system and FW and wifi drivers are complex, and a lot goes on behind the scenes and is designed around using 1 single SSID name which in most cases does work. All my wifi devices connect fine for me on Orbi AX. 

If your looking for separation of SSID names, then Orbi systems may not be what you need. 

@JCasetta wrote:

Please do not tell me Netgear Orbi can not do this.  A lot of money has been spent by people purchasing the AX6000 models and it has a limitation that will not allow you to do this?  If this is the case then how soon to a firmware update to correct this issue?

Message 5 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@Mikey94025 wrote:

@JCasetta wrote:

The problem you're having may not have to do at all with 2.4Ghz vs. 5Ghz because your 2.4Ghz devices do not support and cannot see the 5Ghz network at all.  Instead, there may ne other factors affecting the wireless compatibility of your new Orbi AX system with your wifi enabled appliances.  Let's first try these changes:

1. In the latest V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 firmware in orbilogin.com Advanced... Setup Wireless you can uncheck AX mode just for 2.4Ghz.  In older firmware versions you could only uncheck AX mode for all bands.
  2. If that doesn't help, in Advanced... Advanced... Wireless Settings change CTS/RTS Threshold for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz from 64 to 2347.  I found this helped with AX 2.4Ghz wireless compatibility with many of my home devices in the older firmware versions, but it may not be necessary anymore with the latest firmware.
  3. Finally, another thing to try is in Advanced... Advanced... Wireless Settings you can temporarily change the Transmit Power Control for 5Ghz from 100% to 25%.  Then setup your older wifi devices.  Once they are setup you can restore the 5Ghz power back to 100%.

One other factor is that often these devices are setup using an app on your phone.  This can be problemmatic if your phone is connected to Orbi's 5Ghz wireless network and you select that in the app for your 2.4Ghz device (so it will not work).  Depending on how the app works internally, if the app offers an alternative method for selecting the wireless network (like typing the SSID in) then try that vs. using the networks seen on your phone.  Unfortunately your phone sees the 5Ghz network but your devices need the 2.4Ghz network.

@CrimpOn just gave a very descriptive reply for what to do on your phone after #3, i.e., reducing 5Ghz power to 25%.  I neglected the extra steps to get your phone to connect to the 2.4Ghz network before using the app to connect your wifi appliance.  Please refer to his post if #1 and #2 don't work so you're trying #3 (The Orbi AX series cannot stop broadcasting and completely hide the 5Ghz SSID like the AC series, so reducing power is the best we can do): https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-2-4GHz-not-showing/m-p/1964940/highlight/true#M1009...

Message 6 of 11
AceHack
Aspirant

This is a terrible router, return it. I just returned mine and buying the AmpliFi Alien that can split the 2g and 4g networks.
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good luck. 

Message 8 of 11
JCasetta
Tutor

Thank you everyone....so I tried steps 1 and 2 of the 3 steps provided and things are looking good now.

I have connected all the devices except for the washer but I think that is an issue with it and I will have to call their support.

So I really do appreciate everyone jumping in here and giving me some guidance to fixing the problem.

My only question left.  After I have connected the devices do I leave things as they are?  Do I change it back by enabling AX on 2.4G

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You can re-enable AX on 2.4ghz and see if anything changes. If you don't anything using or supporting AX, you could leave AX mode disabled. 

Message 10 of 11
Chuck_M
Mentor

@JCasetta wrote:

Thank you everyone....so I tried steps 1 and 2 of the 3 steps provided and things are looking good now.

I have connected all the devices except for the washer but I think that is an issue with it and I will have to call their support.

So I really do appreciate everyone jumping in here and giving me some guidance to fixing the problem.

My only question left.  After I have connected the devices do I leave things as they are?  Do I change it back by enabling AX on 2.4G

Testing that after you tried -- would be very good information for the community here.  Please try and reenable AX and tell us if your 2.4 devices remained connected.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7