Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to Admin my new AX4200 router

BulletRouge
Aspirant

Unable to Admin my new AX4200 router

So, my wifi is up. I have only one network, all my devices are run and running OK.

But... I can't get to my router to do any admin. (no response from 192.168.1.1)

I've tried different browsers, all in-cognito mode.

I also can not get to it from the app on my Android phone, it doesn't see anything on my local network and can't connect via "anywhere" access.

I did just reboot it, Iwas then able to connect via the app, but was getting pretty flakey results, so I tried from my browser on my laptop, it told me I was already doing admin somewhere else, and offered to let me proceed. I refused. And then couldn't access it from any of  the methods above.

Any ideas??

Message 1 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unable to Admin my new AX4200 router

@BulletRouge wrote:

I also can not get to it from the app on my Android phone, it doesn't see anything on my local network and can't connect via "anywhere" access.

Netgear set up a new community forum for the AX products. If you post questions there, people who answer may have personal experience with the product, unlike those of us who have only the "original" Orbi.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

That said, what IP address is showing as the "gateway" in your network configuration?

You are correct that most WiFi routers assign IP's in the 192.168.1.x subnet and give themselves 192.168.1.1 as the gateway.

However, if the Orbi is connected to another router that is already using the 192.168.1.x subnet, then Orbi will pick a different private IP space, often 10.0.0.x

Message 2 of 16
BulletRouge
Aspirant

yea, all my stuff is on 192.168.1.x all show gateway as 192.168.1.1

Message 3 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@BulletRouge wrote:

I

Well, subnet is not it.  Can you please explain the meaning of "incognito mode" for a web browser?

I use Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Opera with http://192.168.1.1

Message 4 of 16
BulletRouge
Aspirant

Basically a new "private" window. Meaning it starts with no cache, cookies, or anything. The moral equivalent of completely clearling all your history etc...

Message 5 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@BulletRouge wrote:

Basically a new "private" window. Meaning it starts with no cache, cookies, or anything. The moral equivalent of completely clearling all your history etc...

well (duh). I use that myself.  (What a dufus.)  Yep, incognito mode works, too.

You do not even get a login window? (see attached)

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 7 of 16
BulletRouge
Aspirant

I rebooted again, and am logged on OK at the moment. Haven't tried from my phone app though...

I have V3.2.16.6 on router and nodes

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 9 of 16
BulletRouge
Aspirant

No, it is litterally brand new as of this week.

One concern I have about doing a reset is how it will deal with leasing new IP addresses since everything already has an IP address.

I realize over time it will resove, but in the short term won't I end up with a bunch of duplicate IP addresses (until I go around and reboot things or wait for TTL expires)?

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

No, you'll not get duplilcate IP addresses, even if you reset. 

YOu can add to this as well if you like:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-no-access-to-interface/td-p/2001220/jump-to/first-un...

I though I think newer FW for the 8 series fixed it but the 7 is waiting for newer FW.

Message 11 of 16
BulletRouge
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

No, you'll not get duplilcate IP addresses, even if you reset. 

YOu can add to this as well if you like:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-no-access-to-interface/td-p/2001220/jump-to/first-un...

I though I think newer FW for the 8 series fixed it but the 7 is waiting for newer FW.

Oh wow, sounds like this is pretty common. It also sounds like that update might have resolved things. I'll try to wait. But pretty annoying when going to a new device like this. 

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

It's had some growing pains along the way. Smiley Embarassed

Message 13 of 16
BulletRouge
Aspirant

well, two things:

1. I realized I hadn't been power cycling my mesh points, so I am doing that now.
  2. I just got (and upgraded to) new firmware (V3.2.16.22)
  3. and I was running fing on several devices (including a fingbox). I don't really know what was doing, but I know it scans the network and reports on things it finds. Probably benign but I figure I need to simplify to stabilize.

OK. 3 things...

I noticed yesterday that my connected devices kept changing IP addresses, in most cases devices were just all swapped around the IP range. I'd see different devices with the IP address of something else, etc... I checked the logs and all I saw were DHCP events. Lots of them.

All in all pretty alarming, plus not very easy to diagnose what's going on. Begining to think I need to return these things...

Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try powering OFF all units for 30 seconds, then back on with the RBR first, then RBS lastly. Be sure all units got the update. You might want to factory reset and setup from scratch. 

I've been able to have access to my units whle on v22. 

Message 15 of 16
BulletRouge
Aspirant

Yea, I just did the power cycling you described. so far so good.

But I have to say I am pretty disappointed in the experience so far. Clearly there was (maybe still is) some riff-raff going on on my network. I found it virtually impossible to figure anything out. The logs were not very useful at all, only say one class of events and nothing else. Couldn't tell is I was only seeing the router logs and not anything from the satelites. 

I'm going to sit tight for now, but I am trending to think I should cut my loses and pick a different setup (thinking either eero pro 6 or asus xt8)

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7