Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded to RBK852 from RBS50 - SLOWER SPEEDS

Tonyblaze
Follower

Upgraded to RBK852 from RBS50 - SLOWER SPEEDS

I just purchased the RBK852 to replace the RBS50 system. I have a 3,300 sq. ft home. Main router on floor 1, satellite on floor 2. I'm getting slower speeds all over. I have Gigabyte internet. On old system I could get between 600-870 Mb WiFi in various locations with a dead spot in my basement and weak signals in yard. Now I can't get over 560 Mb anywhere. Using Ookla Speedtest on android to test. This is what I spent $700.00 for??

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Upgraded to RBK852 from RBS50 - SLOWER SPEEDS

@Tonyblaze wrote:

I just purchased the RBK852 to replace the RBS50 system. I have a 3,300 sq. ft home. Main router on floor 1, satellite on floor 2. I'm getting slower speeds all over. I have Gigabyte internet. On old system I could get between 600-870 Mb WiFi in various locations with a dead spot in my basement and weak signals in yard. Now I can't get over 560 Mb anywhere. Using Ookla Speedtest on android to test. This is what I spent $700.00 for??

Unless the phone supports WiFi 6 it is not likely to achieve much higher speed than it did with the Orbi "ac" model.  There are only a few phones which feature WiFi 6:

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/wi-fi-6-devices-top-compatible-phones-laptops-gadgets-routers-thu... 

(Which illustrates the main reason I have not purchased a WiFi 6 system: I have zero devices that support WiFi 6.)

Another improvement of the AX product over the "ac" product is potentially higher backhaul bandwidth between the router and satellite.  Due to the encoding mechanism used for WiFi 6, the maximum theoretical data rate between AX router and satellite is 2400Mbs whereas the "ac" maximum backhaul bandwidth is 1733Mbs.  All WiFi rates fall off with distance and obstacles.  My router-satellite backhaul rate is in the range of 780Mbs because it is 25ft, three walls, and one floor away from the router (less than half of the theoretical maximum.)

(This illustrates the second reason I have not purchased a WiFi 6 system: my internet data rate is about 230Mbs, which does not strain even my old Orbi WiFi ac system.)

If there are devices attached to the satellite that are constantly streaming 100's of megabits (not bytes) per second there is probably a measurable difference between the "ac" and AX Orbi's.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Upgraded to RBK852 from RBS50 - SLOWER SPEEDS

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7