Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Very disappointed in lack of QOS in AX6000... Future firmware?

OrbiNewGuy
Aspirant

Very disappointed in lack of QOS in AX6000... Future firmware?

Just setup the ORBI 852 and when I did a speed test on my speed app at phone which was at max my isp speed, my online game started lagging (my playstation was connected directly to the satellite using Ethernet). So I searched and it turned out it lacks QOS. What the heck.. Otherwise it's been barely a day but really loved the coverage. The nighthawk R8000 I am replacing with this had fantastic QOS.

Any hope for a firmware update in the future to add the QOS? Tnx.
Message 1 of 12
Chuck_M
Mentor

Fat chance on that wishlist item.... Netgear can't (or won't) fix DNS or other critical/compatibility issues...  

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Wired or wireless gaming?

Orbi systems have never had QoS UI features. It's mostly automatic I believe.

i gamed with two xbox consoles on my RNK853 system and have not seen any gaming issue. CoD online multiplayer. 

@OrbiNewGuy wrote:
Just setup the ORBI 852 and when I did a speed test on my speed app at phone which was at max my isp speed, my online game started lagging (my playstation was connected directly to the satellite using Ethernet). So I searched and it turned out it lacks QOS. What the heck.. Otherwise it's been barely a day but really loved the coverage. The nighthawk R8000 I am replacing with this had fantastic QOS.

Any hope for a firmware update in the future to add the QOS? Tnx.

Message 3 of 12
OrbiNewGuy
Aspirant

I don't think it has any capable QOS in the system. When I do speed test which maxes out my 150mbs connection, even streaming suffers for the duration of the test. It's connected to the same modem I had my Netgear R8000 connected and it never allowed one device or connection to saturate the bandwidth, especially at the expense of gaming or videos.
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 5 of 12
OrbiNewGuy
Aspirant

I installed the Orbi yesterday day so it did the firmware update at that time as well. Whatever the firmware was as of yesterday is my firmware version (for both router and satellite)

I am not sure why the modem it's connected to is relevant. It's a cable modem without any routing capability. I think you are thinking if it's one of those ISP router, it's not it's a docsis 3.1 modem
Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have v18.1 is laoded?

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch?

Reason for asking about modem brand and model is that some modems can come with built in routers and wifi which can cause problem. Try to determine this or not. So kind of relavant. Up to you if you want to give feedback though. 

Might put the R series router online as your host router then configure AP mode on the Orbi system. 

I use a NG CM1200 and have had both RBK50 and RBK853 systems online and gaming with wired consoels. However I have 1Gb ISP service. 

Message 7 of 12
OrbiNewGuy
Aspirant

Thanks for your assistance Fury, like I said, it's not a modem router combo, it's just a modem. And I goggled it, QOS doesn't exist in this router. Meaning it doesn't prioritize traffic. It was brand new units installation so factory reset was redundant. I won't install old router, I will just wait and hope for the QOS that exist in my R8000 from netgear eventually comes to this. If not, like I said very disappointing considering how much I paid for it. I game online (NHL 21 for example) and it was only during a speed test (ookla phone app) that the game lagged and that too because speed was showing 155mbs (my actual bandwidth supposed to be 150mbs lol), meaning the app was using the full bandwidth and then some. A proper QOS was supposed to prevent thst. Heck there isn't even a qos setting, just a speed test tab in the router portal. I was just wishfullly thinking if there's a chance for an qos update in the future because otherwise I really like it. The coverage and speed is phenomenal.
Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi has never had a QoS UI feature. Be all behind the scenes. 

Possible something with your particular system could be faulty or how your have it configured. 

Again, more details would be help and relevant. However if you feel the system is the problem, then return it and find something that works for you.

Good Luck. 

Message 9 of 12
OrbiNewGuy
Aspirant

Why do you think it's faulty? I am really liking everything else beside the lack of qos but if it's faulty that's not good.
Message 10 of 12
tak1313
Luminary

The QOS issue is one of the main reasons why, despite not having any real problem otherwise, switched to using the Orbi as an AP only and stuck my old Asus RT-AC68U in line for routing.

Asus' UI is MUCH better, with far more control and features than Orbi, PLUS it has QOS that is adaptive or you can set it up manually, including determining activity priority order and speed limits.  It's not "smart queue management" level, but works for my purposes.

On top of that, protection is FREE! via AiProtection - no paying for Armor for the same security (if not better).

I originally wanted to switch to mesh because of an odd signal propogation problem in my house, even though it's not that large.  Got the Orbi because of reviews, etc., and learned how it s*cked at everything else.

If you have gig service, you may want to use something with a bigger WAN port (2.5gbe, etc.) so you get max throughput to the Orbi out of the LAN port.  I only have 100mpbs coming in, so the old 68U is no hinderance at all, and improved my bufferbloat through QOS from "C/D" using the Orbi straight to A/A+ using the 68U for QOS.

I have an Edgrouter Lite in the closet that I could use as well, but the Asus is doing great with a simpler UI.

Message 11 of 12
Validus
Luminary

I agree that the Netgear Orbi Mesh could of been so much better if they provided more advance options and control. They have a good Wifi mesh, but they destory what could of been great with zero control and DNS problems.

They need to fix the logging system, it's broken and doesn't log much as all.

They need to fix the ddos protection, it's broken and doesn't even protect or track anything.

They need to add QoS. You know the devices and their types. Let the user pick. I want online gaming or perhaps tv streaming to come first. This PC or laptop gets top proirty. 

They split the router admin into two basic and advance, yet don't have the advance features available to control.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7