Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wanting to upgrade to the RBK853 (Wifi6) system, can the RBS50Y's still work with the new system

swellvue
Tutor

Wanting to upgrade to the RBK853 (Wifi6) system, can the RBS50Y's still work with the new system

I have an RBK50 with multiple RBS50 and RBS50Y sats in order to give more coverage inside and outside of my home.    I would like to update the router and most of the internal sats to the RBK853 system... but still need outside coverage... does anyone know if the older RBS50/RBS50Y sats would be able to connect with the new system to provide wifi coverage (Yes I know if they did it wouldn't be Wifi6 but still, would they work in areas where I only care about wifi coverage, not wifi6?)

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Wanting to upgrade to the RBK853 (Wifi6) system, can the RBS50Y's still work with the new system

People who participate in the forum for the AX product are more likely to have faced this situation and have experience to relate:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

From the posts I have observed, none of the previous Orbi satellites will "integrate" with the new AX systems over WiFi.  Apparently they will connect and function over ethernet, but not WiFi.

The "good news" is that the RBS50Y has two "modes":  Orbi satellite and "WiFi Extender" (which can connect to any brand of WiFi router).

Netgear may have done this because the RBS50Y is the only "outdoor rated" product that Netgear sells and they want to sell as many of them as they an.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wanting to upgrade to the RBK853 (Wifi6) system, can the RBS50Y's still work with the new system

I guess the RBS40v with extender mode will also work. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7