Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which mesh system for inside and then outside?

Don_NC
Aspirant

Which mesh system for inside and then outside?

I just moved into an old house with plaster walls and out buildings, one being a pool house. The current WiFi does not reach the back of the house from the router in the front room. Want to install mesh system to get through to back of house (50’ distance for WiFi, TV & doorbell camera), then to garage (60’ distance for security camera), then to pool house (95’ distance for WiFi & TV). Wifi coverage around pool would be an added bonus. See attached diagram. Daisy chaining seems to make sense, but would require 3 RBS’s I beleive. Ethernet cable is not an option outside. Piggy backing off of electrical service wires not an option as there are breakers in between. Given thick walls in house and amount of ground to cover outside, what system and configuration would you recommend? Would like to have TriBand & WiFi6. Thanks.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad it's working well. Please mark your thread and solved so others will know.

Enjoy. 😉 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The distance between the 2nd and 3rd RBS maybe a bit too far for Orbi systems. it might work. Generally 60-70 feet is about the limits for Orbi systems. Its something to try and see though. Could work however distance may see poor connections. 

The only outdoor RBS is the RBS50Y that only works in Extender mode with the Orbi AX. If you did the Orbi AC then the RBS50Y would work in MESH mode. 

Sonething else to consider if you want to try Orbi AX, run buried CAT6A LAN cableing from the house out to #2 and #3 positions then you can run RBS wired, though #3 will need to be in side a structure or some forum of houseing. IF you can't run a cable to #3 position, then you can connect the #3 RBS to #2 that could be wired from the house.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 7
Don_NC
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Thanks for the response. The distances are my concern which you confirmed. I may try to give the cableing a go to #2 & #3 since one will support part of the security system and the other proper TV reception stream for whatever football season we may have ... both important for different reasons. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets us know how it goes. 

Message 4 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Don_NC wrote:

@FURRYe38Thanks for the response. The distances are my concern which you confirmed. I may try to give the cableing a go to #2 & #3 since one will support part of the security system and the other proper TV reception stream for whatever football season we may have ... both important for different reasons. 

This is precisly how my home is configured...  From RBR850, hard wired to an RBS50 (a long distance!) to cover the pool house area.  I also have an RBS850 and other hardwired RBS50 providing full coverage over property and it works like a champ.

Once it becomes easier to buy RBS850s, I will replace the RBS50s -- purely an unplug, replug operation.

Message 5 of 7
Don_NC
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 I set up the system with just two satellites in daisy chain formation. Did not add another in pool house and did not connect with cables just to see how it would perform.  Signal is very strong at garage (60' from RBS1) and we actually streamed a show on the TV last night at the pool house (75' from RBS2) and it worked like a champ. I was blown away and no trenching!  Thanks for your help. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad it's working well. Please mark your thread and solved so others will know.

Enjoy. 😉 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7