Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi keeps disconnecting

Zipsy
Aspirant

Wifi keeps disconnecting

I've had trouble with this router a lot but a lot of the times I feel that it is fixable.This time the router keeps dropping out and shows the router with the purple light. This is fixed though when I use only the router and no satellite. This is not daisy chain I know. I've tried changing dns server. The problem with just having the router on is that the speed is drastically decreased. If it has to with the satellites it's not that I have a faulty one since I've tried it on an extra satellite that we had as well. I've also noticed a few patterns in which the wifi seems to cut depending on the location of a person and their devices. Sometimes also particular devices seem to shut down the wifi whenever they are turned on. Like turning on a laptop/tv in particular makes the wifi drop out instantly, and it's happened too many times to be coincidental. I probably have more information regarding this but hope anyone can help me. 

Side note:Posting an image of modem event log. I have a netgear modem. It shows a bunch of problems but theres so much I don't even know what to say. 

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Aht NG product are you referring too?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 14
Zipsy
Aspirant

The model of the router is a rbr750. The motem that we have is a cm400. All the firmware is up to date.
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

FW version at v12? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 4 of 14
Zipsy
Aspirant

Tested it again. Turns out it still breaks with only the router. Both are firmware version V3.2.16.22 which is the most up to date one. The mode is V2.01.06. I live in the city but the router was working before. 

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 6 of 14
Zipsy
Aspirant

I live near a lot of neighbors and most of them have wifi.
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

May help reduce some neighboring wifi interferences. 

Message 8 of 14
Zipsy
Aspirant

Could having a lot of devices be an issue. This would probably pertain to our ISP but I'm not sure if it would cause the router to turn off and on like this. We have a pretty slow internet speed 29 Mbps Download and 3 Mbps Upload plus we have a lot of devices and the wifi usually works when there is only 2 people home rather than three. Hopefully changing the power output works. 

Message 9 of 14
Zipsy
Aspirant

This at first seemed to work but it had stopped wrorking and the wifi is back to cutting out.

Message 10 of 14
Zipsy
Aspirant

Not sure if this helps but when it drops out the netgear-guest wifi channel also pops up even though we don't have it turned on.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would upadate to v12 on the system, RBS first then RBR lastly. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

After the files have been applied and updated, factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. 

Message 12 of 14
Zipsy
Aspirant

Could the plug be a problem? When I had first bought it, it was working but only stopped working when someone had changed positions in the house. Could this also be my neighbors? Would changing the power output to 25 percent help. 

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible...

Try 25% and see....be sure try different channels too. Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. 40-48

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7