Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi shows on but nothing connects: Wifi Password is Incorrect

Wifi shows on but nothing connects: Wifi Password is Incorrect

I have an AX setup that replaced an Orbi Pro setup.  On the immediately prior AX setup, at least once a day the wifi would just disappear for everything (multiple devices showed no wifi). If I tried to reconnect, I was told my wifi password was incorrect.  Only solution was a reboot, at which time everything would reconnect with no intervention.  All of this was on the immediately preceeding firmware to the current release.  After some troubleshooting, Netgear decided to replace the router (not the satellite).  With the new router, I had several days of great connection (all on the new firmware btw), but then a similar problem started happening. First I would get slow downs during the day, then random streaming devices couldn't connect, then finally everything was kicked off and if I tried to reconnect, I was told (again on multiple devices) that the wifi password was incorrect.  The difference was that now my devices show an active wifi connection (5 bars) but I don't actually connect.  Again, only solution is a reboot. I had no problem with exactly the same clients on the Pro.  The satellite is connected via wired backhaul.  Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi shows on but nothing connects: Wifi Password is Incorrect

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Are you using the same SSID name and PW from your Orbi Pro or something new? I have been using same SSID name and PW for years on different wifi systems and haven't seen this issue as of yet. 

You might try temporarily changing the SSID name and PW to something different. Something fairly simple on both. Be sure to use the "forget this network" feature on phones and pads. Clear out old wifi profiles on other devices. Then connect up with the new info. See if the problem re-appears again. 

What devices do you have connected? 

Be sure your using WPA2 and AES only. NG is still working with WPA3 currently. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 17

20/40 cooexistence is off.  1pv6 is off.  It has been set up from scratch since the latest firmware.  Every client is the same versus the Pro setup (no new clients). Firmware is the latest one. Same problem as the next to last version except it shows a connection that won't connect vs not showing a connection at all and not allowing a connection. Still using the same security (WPA2), have manually set channels to various.  On wired backhaul so distance isn't an issue. I have forgotten the network on multiple devices.  Nothing changes.  Increasing instability during the course of a day until all devices loose connection. 

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the system could be faulty. If you have done resets and configured different things and it won't work well, I would make contact with NG support and ask for additional help and information and also ask about an RMA. 

Message 4 of 17

It has already been RMA'd. This is the new unit that is having a variant of the prior unit's fault. 

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

So with the RBS turned OFF, your devices are still experiencing this problem? 

What happens if you disable AX mode on the RBR. 

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 6 of 17

Correct.  Tried the satellite with wired backhaul, wireless backhaul and off entirely. 

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmm, sounds like something is not configured right or something in your environment is a possible cause. Very odd. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

And you did disable AX mode on the RBR? 

Message 8 of 17

It is odd.  There are very few configuration options in the AX compared to the Pro, and what there are are the same as they were configured in the Pro.  And nothing changed in the clients that would cause this (there was literally a 10 minute break between connecting to the Pro and connecting with the AX, and it affects all devices not just some.   The newest firmware did seem to affect the amount of time the AX would remain stable (in a positive manner), but everything eventually still goes to hell within a day.  With the unit I RMA'd, I actually had to leave it for several weeks while travelling and put the router on a timer that would reboot it every day. That helped 90% of the time (sometimes everything would crap out before the reboot).  Can do the same here but don't want a kludge "fix" to what is obviously just an issue with the router. 

Message 9 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

Can you characterize the other wireless & wired devices on the network?  Include switches, routers, etc.

It is possible there may be an issue with one of them causing this, so try and be specific of what you have out there.

Message 10 of 17

Wired backhaul straight to the RBS. Connection to TPLink 16 port gigabit switch for all other wired devices. Have 65 clients mixed between 2.4 and 5ghz and wired. Directv,  AppleTVs, Sonos, projectors, Nest Protects, cameras, hubs and doorbell, computers, printers, iPhone and iPads and printers and pool equipment and garage doors etc. Same mess as was connected without issues to the Pros. 

Message 11 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

Is it possible to lower the lease time in the AX6000?

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What model # is this switch? This a managed switch or have any Green Ethernet features by chance? 

@Redlightning88 wrote:

Wired backhaul straight to the RBS. Connection to TPLink 16 port gigabit switch for all other wired devices. Have 65 clients mixed between 2.4 and 5ghz and wired. Directv,  AppleTVs, Sonos, projectors, Nest Protects, cameras, hubs and doorbell, computers, printers, iPhone and iPads and printers and pool equipment and garage doors etc. Same mess as was connected without issues to the Pros. 

Message 13 of 17

It is one of their Easy Smart switches. And the regular Orbi and the Pro had no issues with it. And the satellite is straight wired to the Orbi base unit and not through the switch. I rebooted everything again yesterday am BTW and tried again using just wireless backhaul and a day later I'm still running. So maybe the hints I've seen on the forums that wired backhaul has issues may be relevant.
Message 14 of 17

Nope, no adjustment to lease time.
Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

My RBSs are currently wire connected. And running thru switches, non managed and non green ethernet. 

I have submitted a bug on the RBS connected to switches. I've seen odd behaviors with RBS wire connected.

Just last weekend the RBR in AP mode became unplug by accident over night. I plugged it back in thinking the system would all come back to ready, Ah no. Both RBS were online however the RBRs UI showed them as disconnected. I could not get them to show as connected until I removed 1 switch from the mix and and then wirelessly resync 1 RBS then wire connect it. Been good since then. Crazy experience. 

Smiley Frustrated

I also submitted a bug for xbox and Strict NAT. Thought this would be a separate issue. 

@Redlightning88 wrote:
It is one of their Easy Smart switches. And the regular Orbi and the Pro had no issues with it. And the satellite is straight wired to the Orbi base unit and not through the switch. I rebooted everything again yesterday am BTW and tried again using just wireless backhaul and a day later I'm still running. So maybe the hints I've seen on the forums that wired backhaul has issues may be relevant.

Message 16 of 17
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Redlightning88

Please send me a private message with the support case number by clicking on this link

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7