Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XBox 360 + Satellite WiFi = "IP Address Error"

KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

XBox 360 + Satellite WiFi = "IP Address Error"

Hi all,

I have the following setup (1 router, 2 satellites and updated to latest firmware):

Capture Router and Satellites.PNG

I have an up-to-date XBox 360. The XBox gets internet connectivity when wired to a satellite, and if I switch the nearest satellite off, has wifi through the router (presumably the router, but could have been the other satellite, although not great signal). However, when I switch the satellite back on, we get an "IP Address Error" (again):

20210721_164723082_iOS.jpg

I noticed that it in the Netgear Router admin site it was saying it had an IP address, but on the XBox it was showing the IP address as 169.254.*.*. I then setup a fixed IP for the Mac address (ref: How do I reserve an IP address on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support) and manually configured the IP address on the XBox (IP address: 192.168.1.7, subnet: 255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.1.1). However, this did not resolve the issue. The Error Status Report is as follows:

20210721_165739433_iOS.jpg

There is nothing in the Logs of the firewall since a few hours ago (I'm sure there must be something it can log!).

I do however notice that even though I put the following in the IP address allocation:

Capture IP Address Reservation.PNG

I see the following listed in the devices:

Capture Attached Device.PNG

NB I have rebooted the router and nearest satellite for 1+ minutes.

I did notice when connecting (just about) to the router (or possibly the other satellite) it did say something about duplicate wi-fi name.

On the XBox I have cleared settings with "Restore to Factory Defaults" and switching off for 1+ minutes. However, I believe the issue is related to the satellite rather than the XBox settings (or at least, a support issue with mesh networks and the XBox 360).

NB In the final location we want the XBox 360 it is not easy to have a wired connection (and the reason we invested in a mesh network).

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Ben

Message 1 of 17
KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

Re: XBox 360 + Satellite WiFi = "IP Address Error"

Going by the user experience of Netgears router software, I should have assumed that the images wouldn't work here too!!!

Message 2 of 17
KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

Message 3 of 17
KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

Message 4 of 17
KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

Message 5 of 17
KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 7 of 17
KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

Ah, of course the "Orbi" forum isn't the right one 😉 Have reposted here (images still don't work): XBox 360 + Satellite WiFi = "IP Address Error" - NETGEAR Communities

Message 8 of 17
KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

Also can't replay to that post for some reason to attach the images (1 by 1 seems only way).

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Will see if we can get this post thread moved over for you. 

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

@KrazyKratosUK 

Any progress on this? 

Message 11 of 17
KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

Unfortunately not no.
Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you turn OFF the RBS and let the xbox connect to the RBR wirelessly, does it do the same thing? 

Message 13 of 17
KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

Yes, I believe it does connect (if it can get signal - which is why I wanted a mesh network).
Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

So if the xbox connects to the RBR here, go in on the RBR and set a IP address reservation on the RBR for the xbox. Then apply the setting and reboot. Turn OFF the xbox. Turn ON the RBS and after it connects, turn ON the xbox and see what happens...

Message 15 of 17
KrazyKratosUK
Aspirant

Paid £100 on a device I have only had 3-months in order to open a support ticket with them.
Web based UX is atrocious and missing functionality from the app, app is missing functionality from the web UI, Bitlocker just freezes up iOS devices, unblocking sites doesn't work, enabled access controls for kids (only just released) but now have to reboot router every few days.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

@KrazyKratosUK 

So I presume this didn't work? 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So if the xbox connects to the RBR here, go in on the RBR and set a IP address reservation on the RBR for the xbox. Then apply the setting and reboot. Turn OFF the xbox. Turn ON the RBS and after it connects, turn ON the xbox and see what happens...

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7