Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox X wired upload is slow

DoctorA
Luminary

Xbox X wired upload is slow

My son's Xbox X, connected to Orbi RBR 850 in wired mode, upload speed is 10 times slower than connected to the ISP router in Pass through mode.

My service is capable of 950 Mbps download and 950 Mbps upload but Xbox X is  getting 700 Mbps download and only 95 Mbps upload connected wired to Orbi RBR 850.

Directly connected to Att BG 210 RGW Xbox speed test shows the same high speeds for both upload and download.

I didn't expect  my residential gateway  BG 210 RGW, in pass through mode and wifi antennas disabled, to function while connected to Orbi in Router mode. I guess it acts like a switch. My phone NG app listed Xbox as connected to RBR- 850. I wonder how many other devices can be connected wired to  BG 210 RGW if they have a problem like the Xbox.

Message 1 of 7
Bandito
Luminary

You can try attaching more devices to the BG210RGW to see if they'll work or not, but typically the ISPs will limit the gateway to providing only one IP address.

On the RBR850, have you gone into the QoS setting and executed the speed test there?  I don't think that it will affect your performance speeds, but if you test it and get your full fiber speeds, then at least you know that the router itself is functioning correctly.

If the wired upload speed doesn't improve, I would definitely contact Netgear about this to see what they have to say about it.  It should be essentially your full connection speed unless there is other traffic traversing the network.  If I recall correctly, a couple of other people have mentioned that the wired connection isn't providing a full speed connection, so there may be a bug with the built-in switch in the Orbi.

Message 2 of 7
DoctorA
Luminary

I  went into the QoS setting and performed the speed test and I get my full fiber speeds near 950 Mbps upload and download. So the RBR850 router is functioning correctly. I use the same Ethernet cable to connect the Xbox to  RBR850 router or  BG210RGW gateway So cable is good. I power restarted the RBR850 router but it didn't help. If the factory restart doesn't help then, like you said, there may be a bug with the built-in switch in the Orbi  RBR850 router.

What is different in factory reset that sometimes it solves problems?

@Bandito wrote:

You can try attaching more devices to the BG210RGW to see if they'll work or not, but typically the ISPs will limit the gateway to providing only one IP address.

On the RBR850, have you gone into the QoS setting and executed the speed test there?  I don't think that it will affect your performance speeds, but if you test it and get your full fiber speeds, then at least you know that the router itself is functioning correctly.

If the wired upload speed doesn't improve, I would definitely contact Netgear about this to see what they have to say about it.  It should be essentially your full connection speed unless there is other traffic traversing the network.  If I recall correctly, a couple of other people have mentioned that the wired connection isn't providing a full speed connection, so there may be a bug with the built-in switch in the Orbi.

Message 3 of 7
Bandito
Luminary

A factory reset causes the system to write the default values of all settings into memory.  If there happens to be a corrupted value somewhere, this should correct the problem.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

After rebooting the RBR or a reset if you did that, did you press and hold the front power button on the xbox console untill it turned OFF then back On after the RBR was back to ready? 

Any network switches between the RBR and game console? 

One thing iv'e found for mine, OPEN NAT is not possible with my system in router mode. I have two xbox ones 1st gen, one seems to get OPEN NAT while the other gets only Strict NAT. Both are wired. I also check this over at a freinds house with a different modem and with just 1 xbox connected to the RBR in router mode, Strict NAT is seen on the game console. I reported this already with NG. I also found a problem with Orbi AX and when using 4 or more daisy chained network switches that this causes bad NAT status with the xbox connected at the very end of the chain. Not sure if this is due to to many switches or the FW not handling the data flow correctly or what. 

I also found another problem with the NAT Filter setting. Testing of this in SECURE reports Port Address Restricted NAT which is expected, however when switching to OPEN, Port Address Restricted NAT is still seen. We expect FULL CONE NAT to be seen here. Which for house holds the two or more game consoles, helps in gaming with consoles online at the same time playing the same game. This is also been reported as well. 

These two items will be fixed. I can't use the system in router mode due to these problems. AP mode works fine behind a different router.

All these problems are not seen if I put my Orbi AC system online what so ever. So this is mostly a FW issue at this point. 

@DoctorA wrote:

My son's Xbox X, connected to Orbi RBR 850 in wired mode, upload speed is 10 times slower than connected to the ISP router in Pass through mode.

My service is capable of 950 Mbps download and 950 Mbps upload but Xbox X is  getting 700 Mbps download and only 95 Mbps upload connected wired to Orbi RBR 850.

Directly connected to Att BG 210 RGW Xbox speed test shows the same high speeds for both upload and download.

I didn't expect  my residential gateway  BG 210 RGW, in pass through mode and wifi antennas disabled, to function while connected to Orbi in Router mode. I guess it acts like a switch. My phone NG app listed Xbox as connected to RBR- 850. I wonder how many other devices can be connected wired to  BG 210 RGW if they have a problem like the Xbox.

Message 5 of 7
DoctorA
Luminary

Thank you  

When this problem is fixed after future FW update(s) please let me know so I can check the   discussion of this issue as solved.

Are the other issues solved after the latest FW update?

I haven't tested my RBS 50 satellites wirelessly with RBR 850 yet but it will be nice to be able to do that if people don't have an Ethernet wired backbone like me. I will also benefit from the wireless capability with older models, especially in the backyard during the summer, since the only Orbi outdoor satellite model RBS 50Y is unfortunately only wireless with no Ethernet port.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Will definately let you know. Hoping the new year will bring some good bug fixes. 

I have no idea when NG will be making the RBS50s compatible with Orbi AX wirelessy. We'll have to keep an eye out on the release notes as they come out. Many others have been asking abou this as well.  

For now, I wouldn't bother with RBS50s unless you can wire them up. 

As a suggestion, if you don't think the Orbi AX is working in router mode, I would use it in AP mode, if and when you seem to encounter odd problems. I would also file a support ticket to at least let NG know about issues you seem to notice. I have to run my Orbi AX in AP mode for now until NG gets these NAT problems sorted out.

My speeds are mostly near 900Mbps DOWN and always 50Mbps UP for my system. I don't have the same speed on the UP so I can't tell if the system is working at the capaticty or not. Something NG can look into. 

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7