Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "best when the sat is connected wirelessly to router." Really?

DoctorA
Luminary

"best when the sat is connected wirelessly to router." Really?

NG says: "Tri-band WiFi works best when the Orbi satellite is connected wirelessly to your Orbi router. This gives you better performance than many wired Ethernet solutions and gives you greater flexibility in placing your Orbi satellite."

I agree with the second part about the placement flexibility but disagree with the first part. My tests shows that my iphone Xs Max internet download speed (Ookla) is twice as faster connected with Ethernet wire. Also my iphone connection link speed to the satellite is twice faster using WiFisweetspots app suggested by FURRYe38. 

I have to admit that there is a wood and drywall partition, open hallway and then a wooden door between my router and the satellite 30 feet away.

Maybe NG tested in an open space like in a wearhouse.

https://kb.netgear.com/31011/Can-I-connect-my-Orbi-satellite-s-Ethernet-port-directly-to-my-existing...

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

@DoctorA wrote:

NG says: "Tri-band WiFi works best when the Orbi satellite is connected wirelessly to your Orbi router. This gives you better performance than many wired Ethernet solutions and gives you greater flexibility in placing your Orbi satellite."

I think what is meant is that wireless backhaul will give you a total throughput of 2.4 Gbps in Orbi AX, while wired backhaul will give you a maximum of 1 Gbps. So wireless backhaul is much better than wired when having many devices streaming or downloading data at high speeds simultaneously.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

My testing has been similar. I don't have the RBR850 setup but I have a different wireless AX mesh setup. For this the hardwired backhaul has been faster more consistent. 

Agree with you in that if I put them both in an open space, the wireless backhaul is faster but in a real world usage scenario, the wired backhaul is better. 

This was true of both the mesh AX I tried (arris) and the original orbi. Maybe someday I'll get to try the orbi ax. 

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Technically wire has less processing of the data flow than wireless does thus less over head and best performance over wireless. Current wireless tech is getting better, however realistically won't be as good as wired.  

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@DoctorA wrote:

I think what is meant is that wireless backhaul will give you a total throughput of 2.4 Gbps in Orbi AX, while wired backhaul will give you a maximum of 1 Gbps. So wireless backhaul is much better than wired when having many devices streaming or downloading data at high speeds simultaneously.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7