Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rbr850 3.2.16.6 upgrade - I had difficulties and downgraded - be careful!

Dd852
Luminary

rbr850 3.2.16.6 upgrade - I had difficulties and downgraded - be careful!

When I took the offered upgrade to 3.2.16.6 I ended up with a very odd issue. My two satellites (also upgraded, of course) worked perfectly but the main orbi router refused to connect any devices to the 5 network and connected only at 2.4 even at a distance of zero. The satellites, I repeat, worked perfectly. I reset all to factory and downgraded to 3.2.15.32 and all is working fine again. 

I tried discussing with phone support but after waiting for 40 minutes for level 2 I gave up!

I'd be interested if anyone else had this issue or whether there was something specific to the way I got upgraded, corruption in the upgrade or something.

Thanks

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Dd852
Luminary

Solved - finally

I'm a bit embarassed that the solution ended up being so simple. Finally after much fussing around, I did what I should have done earlier and simply sat near the offending router and did a long wifi scan. It turned out that even though I have the satellite approx. 30 ft away from the router, and even though everything had worked previously, after the firmware upgrade for some reason the 5 ghz signals clashed - they were very close in strength. And since Apple devices are a bit weird and fussy in how they decide what to attach to, I was creating a conflict the devices couldn't navigate through. I reduced the 5 and 2.4 signal strengths to 50% and all is good. I don't think I've created any black spote. Just another reminder that satellite placement and signal strength can be absolutely key.  

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you attempt a full factory reset and setup from scratch of the RBS and RBR after v6 was loaded? 

Message 2 of 15
Dd852
Luminary

yes I did. No joy. So I did a full factory reset again and downgraded to V3.2.15.32_1.3.25 and for the moment it seems ok. 

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. 

Please keep in contact with NG support about this. Have them foward this to the engineering team. 

We haven't seen anyone else express experiences so you maybe the only one at this time. 

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Manual v6 FW files have been posted for download:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062217/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-16-6

You might try downloading these and applying them to the RBS first then RBR using a wired PC and web browser. I recommend doing a factory reset and setup from scratch after updating. 

Message 5 of 15
Dd852
Luminary

Many thanks. I think I might leave well enough alone at this point ... I broke rule number one which is , if it works well don’t upgrade unless the change seems truly necessary !
Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 15
thedak
Apprentice

I upgraded (satellites first,then router) to 3.2.16.6 and works fine.  Did full factor reset (ugh).  The only anomoly now is that device icons don't stick being set from either/or the web gui orthe android app.  Has anyone else seen this and should I downgrade?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to post about over in the Orbi app forum. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 15
thedak
Apprentice

Happens in the web interface as well. Seems to be firmware and not app related?
Message 10 of 15
thedak
Apprentice

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Happens with different browsers? 

if same happens in web UI and in different browsers, I would let NG know what your seeing. 

I don't change icons for my device. I use what seems to be default unless its something very odd or mis detect. Anything is possible when it comes to Orbi. Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 15
dtay
Luminary

@thedak wrote:

I upgraded (satellites first,then router) to 3.2.16.6 and works fine.  Did full factor reset (ugh).  The only anomoly now is that device icons don't stick being set from either/or the web gui orthe android app.  Has anyone else seen this and should I downgrade?

I'm seeing the same issue (where the device icons aren't sticking after saving when you make a change) and am running the latest version of the Android app and the firmware for my RBK853. 

I've also posted it in the Orbi app forum: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-app-not-identifying-device-type-icon-correctly/m-p/19...

Message 13 of 15
Dd852
Luminary

Solved - finally

I'm a bit embarassed that the solution ended up being so simple. Finally after much fussing around, I did what I should have done earlier and simply sat near the offending router and did a long wifi scan. It turned out that even though I have the satellite approx. 30 ft away from the router, and even though everything had worked previously, after the firmware upgrade for some reason the 5 ghz signals clashed - they were very close in strength. And since Apple devices are a bit weird and fussy in how they decide what to attach to, I was creating a conflict the devices couldn't navigate through. I reduced the 5 and 2.4 signal strengths to 50% and all is good. I don't think I've created any black spote. Just another reminder that satellite placement and signal strength can be absolutely key.  

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for letting us know. 

@Dd852 wrote:

Solved - finally

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7