Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anywhere Access will not enable

Ferrellt
Star

Anywhere Access will not enable

When I try to use the Orbi app to enable ANywhere Access it comes back with error Oops...something went wrong. First, that's a useless error message and provides zero diagnostic info. Second, this seems to a pervasive issue with Orbi and Nighthwak apps. Has Netgear just decided not to address this?

And..yes, I have done the factory reset, tried it with and without Bitdefender VPN enabled, with and without Armor enabled. All the tricks. No luck.

Message 1 of 12
Greene10
Apprentice

Re: Anywhere Access will not enable

It’s not you. It’s not worked since 10-6-22 when the app was updated according to the forum post here. I done everything and it’s a NG problem plain and simple. Support acknowledged there was a problem with Anywhere Access THEN said let’s do a factory reset/reboot while I had done a few times already.

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

It may be helpful to describe the specifics in more detail.  That Oct 6 Android firmware release definitely broke ability of users to connect to their Orbi routers locally.  ("Logon timed out" was the error message.)  Users who had already enabled Anywhere Access found the app functioning correctly, unless they attempted to Connect Locally, which brought up the error.  The latest Android firmware release appears to have resolved this issue, although it took longer than anticipated for the new firmware to make its way through Google Play to all users.

"Oops...something went wrong" is a different error that has been seen now and again for some time.  (I agree completely. The error message is useless.)  After giving the phone a good shake to file a bug report, could you please post some details:

• Which model Orbi is this?
  • What is the firmware release on the router?
  • What kind of smartphone is this? (Apple/Android, model)
  • What version of the Orbi app is loaded?
Message 3 of 12
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Ferrellt @Greene10

Is this an iOS device or Android device?

We have released a new Orbi / Nighthawk App v2.21. Kindly uninstall and install the latest App version.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 4 of 12
Greene10
Apprentice

No, it’s a iphone 14 pro max 16.1.1,  Orbi 963 V6.3.7.5.

Message 5 of 12
Ferrellt
Star

iPhone 13. iOS 16.1. Latest Orbi app at 2.210329 . Rbk850 with latest firmware 4.6.9.11.

A more useful diagnostic message would be very useful. Also how about an indicator that Orbi is connected to Netgear cloud? This like flying blind
Message 6 of 12
Ferrellt
Star

Thanks but I’m already on the latest of everything.
Message 7 of 12
Ferrellt
Star

Uninstalled Orbi app and reinstalled. Still no success. “Something went wrong”
Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

For Apple devices, be sure that WiFI Private IP address is disabled on these devices:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Message 9 of 12
Greene10
Apprentice

I have tried all of this on my iPhone 14 pro max. It’s still a no go. I have a two year android phone that I no longer use that I am going to try next.
Message 10 of 12
Ferrellt
Star

I have to say that if the Orbi app is using MAC address as part of device identification, this seems to be a questionable approach. MAC addresses are easily and with iPhones often changed. Wouldn’t a better approach be a key, token or certificate to uniquely identify my iPhone?
Message 11 of 12
Ferrellt
Star

I've done this as well.  No success. I think I'll just use OpenVPN access ot manage the router and give up on the Orbi app.  Somebody please ping me when Anywhere Access is wokring again. 😉

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7