Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't logon to Orbi - "Logon timed out, please try again" - STILL AN ISSUE AFTER MORE

beckss1
Tutor

Re: Can't logon to Orbi - "Logon timed out, please try again" - STILL AN ISSUE AFTER MORE

Hi

Same issue after 4 year, that Orbi worked (RBR40).

All work fine on iPhone's wife

Thanks 

Message 26 of 194
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 27 of 194
wsalopek
Guide

Same here - can't login via the Android app. Very frustrating. RBR50 and two satellites. Pixel 6 Pro, Android 13. 

I've uninstalled/reinstalled, and rebooted more times than I can count, which in itself is quite irritating because the hardware takes so long to boot up. 

Another frustrating issue is being auto-logged out of the web interface seemingly every couple minutes.  There's no way to change this?  Huh? 

And advertising in the web interface?

I had just switched from Asus mesh because of poor performance (but the app works and the settings pages and features are MUCH better than Netgear), only to find on the FIRST DAY of using a Netgear product that not only is its performance mediocre at best, but I can't even log into the app!  Yeesh.

Message 28 of 194
wsalopek
Guide

QUOTE:  Submit a bug report:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

Those instructions are only if a person can get into the app.  Good grief.

Message 29 of 194
FURRYe38
Guru

For submitting ANY issue seen on Orbi app. Good Grief. 

Message 30 of 194
wsalopek
Guide

Of course it is. But in THIS thread, the subject is not being able to login to the app, making that link 100 percent useless.
Message 31 of 194
FURRYe38
Guru

You can still submit the bug. 

You'll need to contact NG support and let them know your having problems. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT 

Have you tried a full on factory reset and setup from scratch on the RBR using a wired PC and web browser or try a NEW SET up from with in the Orbi app after you've uninstalled the app and re-installed the app? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Nighthawk-app-not-connecting-but-Wi-Fi-works-gt-Try-T...

Thought NH app, same principle method to see if the app can gain access to the RBR. 

Try a different mobile device with Orbi app? 

Be ware of this as well for Apple devices:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-Web-Page-and-Orbi-app-Access-Status/td-p/2223085/jump...

Message 32 of 194
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Orbi Community,

We are looking into the Anywhere access issue. We will let you know for any updates.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 33 of 194
wsalopek
Guide

Thank you - yes I did do a full factory reset, of all three units, and uninstalled/reinstalled the app, and rebooted, etc etc.

Message 34 of 194
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @wsalopek ,

Thank you for your post!

Please clear the cache and storage on your android phone by navigating to application storage and selecting both clear data and clear cache. Then log into the Orbi app using your account credentials. 

Please let keep us informed on your progression with this issue!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 35 of 194
Jearbear
Tutor

To help with troubleshooting, I'll mention that up to this point, I personally have...

• Rebooted the router five times
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the app three times
  • Cleared the app cache twice
  • Tried the app on an older phone with an older version of Android

Every one of these troubleshooting steps results in the exact same result. None of them has made any difference.

I also don't have "Anywhere Access" enabled, so I don't have that option in the Orbi app.

Netgear, please keep us updated. Thank you.

Message 36 of 194
Garyst16
Initiate

Same issue here with Android device. Asks for fingerprint and accepts it then asks for account log in information which results in the logon timed out issue. Uninstalled app, rebooted router. Same results. Just started today.

Message 37 of 194
wsalopek
Guide

Clearing cache and storage did not work - thanks for the idea though.

Message 38 of 194

@KevinLiT

If it was that easy to solve the login problem everybody is facing here, somebody would have found that solution already. No no, neither uninstalling, removing cache, restarting phone nor anything else regarding the app and phone is working. The problem is inside the app. As I mentioned already: IOS version works with local connection, Android app doesn’t. Android only works if I activate “anywhere access” on IOS version and then start the Android app. It then connects via “anywhere access” automatically. If you switch from there to local access again the error message will appear on logon again. 

My guts tell me the solution lies somewhere in Android version compatibility, as people in this thread have mentioned that the app is working on older phones (but perhaps that’s also older versions of the app?). Would be great if NG could accept that this really is a programming error somehow…

Message 39 of 194
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Jearbear ,

Thank you for providing this information!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 40 of 194
wsalopek
Guide

Kevin,

Your signature says "community team" - does that mean you are an employee of Netgear?  Or does it mean you have access to speak with someone at Netgear that can (in theory), DO something about customer issues?

Thanks...

Message 41 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

@jtcommunity wrote:

My guts tell me the solution lies somewhere in Android version compatibility, as people in this thread have mentioned that the app is working on older phones (but perhaps that’s also older versions of the app?). Would be great if NG could accept that this really is a programming error somehow…

I agree completely.  Behavior varies depending on Android version:

• Samsung Galaxy S6-Lite. Android version 12. Orbi app 2.20.2.2506
    Opening the app brings up the "Log in with 'admin' and password.
    "Login Timed Out appears almost immediately upon selecting Login" which indicates that it did not wait very long (if at all).
    Since the user cannot get past this point, there is no option to use Anywhere Access (which IS enabled on this router).
  • Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact. Android version 10. Orbi app 2.20.0.2506
    Opening the app results in connection using Anywhere Access.  Says that local connection is available.
    Selecting the Local option results in "Invalid Password entered", even though the password is clearly correct.
  • Moto e4. Android version 7.7.1  Orbi app 2.20.0.2506
    Both Anywhere Access and Local access work as expected.

My typical investigation technique is to download a previous version from APK Mirror and see if it works.  In this instance, those downloads are not installing (claiming file 'invalid').

What a bother.

Message 42 of 194
Heavymisterd
Initiate

Dear community team,

The everywhere Access also does not work for me. The app hangs when I try it and I need to kill the app before I can try anything else. The only solution on Android is using an old version. I know for certain that Android 10 is working and 12 and 13 are not working. I do not have a device with Android 11 to see if that version is still operational.

But even if this option would have worked, the local option should also work. I normally do not have an option active that gives access to such a important service through the internet, that is for me a security issue. I have activated it (through the app on Android 10) to test it. I have my own VPN which I use to logon to my home network and then use the local options to access whatever is needed.

As you can see, we have tried it all, clearing the cache, clearing the data, un- and reinstalling the app even a complete factory reset of the device (which should not be needed, but okay) and nothing fixes this issue.

So I suggest you take a close look at the application and test it on all the different Android versions that are operational at the moment to make sure that app works as it should.

Thank you

Duncan

Message 43 of 194
DamonEdwards
Initiate

Same with us. Wife and I are on Android and we can't access on either phone (Samsung Galaxy S10 and Google Pixel 6). We've checked firmware and rebooted, etc to no avail. What gives? Web interface works fine, but no access to the parental controls we paid for. It feels like we're using an app from 2012, not 2022 - I swear, isn't this the latter part of 2022???!! Ugh, good grief indeed. 

Message 44 of 194
MichelH61
Star

Hi,  

It is certainly not a regional problem because I myself am in the Netherlands and experience the same problem. I've already tried all suggestions variing from deleting the cache, my credentials, to deleting and reinstalling the Orbi app. I eventually contacted Netgear support.

The suggestion to change the admin password has also not helped and their suggestion to reset the router itself, an RBR50 wi-fi router I have not yet done because I am afraid that this will not help after reading the messages from many experiencing the same problem.

I also downloaded an older Orbi app from APK Mirror from a year and a half ago (March 2021) and,  unfortunately , that did not help either. I don't want the option to use Access anywhere because of security issues.

My conclusion is that the current Orbi app is not compatible with the latest releases of Android, from Android 10 to version 12.

Thanks. 

Message 45 of 194
MichelH61
Star

My guess it's some sort of incompatibility with the latest releases of Android. All thinkable actions lead to no success! 

Message 46 of 194
Royalh13
Star

I'd tell them to give you a refund for the entire time you're unable to access it through your phone...

EDIT: This was a reply to JearBear's post, below. Apparently Netgear doesn't allow you to "quote" a person when replying...

"I literally created an account in the community here just to add my voice to the many that this is indeed an issue and needs to be fixed.

I can access the router via the browser, but not through the app. Same error message.

I can't access and manage the parental controls which I pay extra for! We need a fix please!"

Message 47 of 194
lundq
Aspirant

How am I supposed to use this method to submit a bug report, when I am unable to login to the app?

Message 48 of 194
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you see when you shake your mobile device when you see the "Logon timed out" message? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/m-p/2140980#M3630

Message 49 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What do you see when you shake your mobile device when you see the "Logon timed out" message? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/m-p/2140980#M3630

I get the "Report a bug" screen when I shake my Android phone after the Logon timed out error appears.  Have to give the phone a really good shake.

Message 50 of 194
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7