Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't logon to Orbi - "Logon timed out, please try again" - STILL AN ISSUE AFTER MORE

MichelH61
Star

Re: Can't logon to Orbi - "Logon timed out, please try again" - STILL AN ISSUE AFTER MORE

I have been informed by NG Tech support that a new Orbi app update is due before November 12. What are your thoughts on this? 

Message 51 of 194
CheleB
Initiate

Agree - only way to send the bug was to shake the phone hard.... but it work.  now let's overwhelm them with these "bugs"   this needs to be fixed ASAP.   I have "blocked" devices that need to be unblocked!  which of course I cannot.

Message 52 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

@MichelH61 wrote:

I have been informed by NG Tech support that a new Orbi app update is due before November 12. What are your thoughts on this? 

To get a new release of the app out by Nov 12 is probably "par for the course" in terms of a Quality Assurance process.  (although some would argue, "what's the point?" considering that this defective version got out the door with a pretty huge flaw)

Message 53 of 194
MichelH61
Star

How odd considering that the error is thrown BEFORE a first router connection attempt is made, so, the issue is the app itself and, thus, unrelated to any router state.

Message 54 of 194
BritPop
Aspirant

Same issue, probably already mentioned but either logging on via the PC, or cellular data using the app seems to work though.
Message 55 of 194
CheleB
Initiate

At a minimum they should be able to pull this version. And go back to the prior version. Then they can be sure to fully QA the next release fully and more adequately.
Message 56 of 194
iken68
Initiate

Yep. Same here.

I see folks are talking about the QA process here. I doubt there is one. Because the test case "As a user I can successfully login to the Orbi application and view the Orbi dashboard" would pretty much be the first test case in the release regression pass.

SMDH.

Message 57 of 194
cybin
Initiate

Found a fix (I think). So, I never had this issue before I setup my Guest network a week ago (had this router for a couple years). After setting it up I went about my day and haven't tried the app since. I tried logging in tonight for the first time since the Guest Network was setup, low and behold, I get the issue everyone else here seems to have.

At the end of the day, when I try using the app, via Android, connected to my main network, I get the error everyone is describing. HOWEVER, when I Force Quit the app, switch from main network and connect to the GUEST network, and then open the app...it pulls up fine.

Based in this, it seems the issue lies in the guest network/main network arena somewhere (at least, in my instance).

I will login via laptop and delete the Guest Network and see if main WiFi connection works tomorrow, but thought I'd drop this here to see if this works for anyone else.

Please test and let us know.
Message 58 of 194
hcporter
Initiate

So...first Anywhere Access stopped working. When I went in to the APP, it looked like Anywhere Access was disabled but when I tried to enable it, the app asked if I wanted to disable.  I tried disabling so I could re-enable and the app timed out.  So, Anywhere Access is in limbo.  Now, I can't sign on to the app with a local connection (says that login timed out).  I have done a  full factory reset, uninstalled and reinstalled app...nothing works.  Really frustrating.

Message 59 of 194

@cybin wrote:

At the end of the day, when I try using the app, via Android, connected to my main network, I get the error everyone is describing. HOWEVER, when I Force Quit the app, switch from main network and connect to the GUEST network, and then open the app...it pulls up fine.

I made the switch and that just killed the local wifi access option.

Message 60 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

I, also, tried the "force quit, change to guest WiFi".  Failed exactly the same way, "Logon timed out". Not a solution for me. And, the AX series does not offer the option of allowing guests to reach the primary network or each other. (does it?)  My original Orbi does offer that option and I have it enabled.

As an aside, I attempted to diagnose the problem by installing PCAPDroid to capture and decrypt the actual network conversation and the app worked. PCAPDroid is a "Man in the MIddle" based on Android VPN service and does all sorts of crazy things with IP addresses.

Message 61 of 194
Alkera
Aspirant

Thank you for the information! Before this post, I thought I was going crazy.

Message 62 of 194
BobArnett
Tutor

The Orbi Android app has been working very nicely for a long time (years?) but just yesterday started giving this same "timed out" error when I try to log on. 

Message 63 of 194
tenspd137
Aspirant

All these stupid things meant to make it "easy" are crap. First company that says "Here is hardware, a terminal, and real documentation" wins.
Message 64 of 194
prix57
Guide

I have the same issue on my Samsung note 10 plus. Rebooted all my devices, deleted the app rebooted my phone reinstalled the app tried again same issue. It's very disappointing the app doesn't even work anymore after years of working fine.
Message 65 of 194
RockRite
Tutor

Same issue here.....noticed Orbi app "Logon timed out" error this morning.  Never had issues with Orbi app until today.

Issue -

Unable to login using admin credentials via Orbi app (Android).  "Logon timed out, try again later, reboot router".  However, logging in locally via web browser works without issue.

Possible Fix (Below steps worked for me. NOTE - turn OFF WiFi on Phone prior to start) -

1. On phone, opened Settings\all Apps\Orbi\Storage & cache

2. Cleared storage (alternative is to uninstall and reinstall Orbi app)

3. Launched Orbi app

4. By checking this box.....I agree

5. WiFi Auto Connect.....Allow\While using the app

6. Sign into existing account (Netgear)

7. Enter credentials.....Log In

8. Add trusted device.....Trust Device

9. Continue

10. Turn on TouchID.....Maybe Later

11. Go to Dashboard

12. WiFi Not Detected.....select Connect Via Anywhere Access

Connected, closed Orbi app, opened app; works okay now!

Steps 4 - 11 not too relevant and may be different on your device. Important step is to turn off phone WiFi to force Anywhere Access to show up during install/connection.

Not sure if this will work for anyone else, but hope it helps!

Message 66 of 194

@tenspd137 wrote:
All these stupid things meant to make it "easy" are crap.

That's why a lot of us think apps on mobile phones are the devil's play thing,

Sadly, not everyone has a PhD in computer science so they need a helping hand.

Nothing wrong with that, but the people who provide that help have to be careful to make things idiot proof. This time around their helper seems to have been dead on arrival.

Message 67 of 194
Keithdb-
Initiate

Turn off your phone's Wi-Fi so that the Orbi app is forced to connect through your mobile network and Orbi Anywhere Access. After successfully connecting without utilizing your Wi-Fi the problem seems to resolve itself. You can then turn Wi-Fi back on and connect normally.

Message 68 of 194
Jearbear
Tutor

@Keithdb- Wow, I thought I'd tried everything, but didn't try turning off the wifi on my phone! Thank you!
Message 69 of 194
shawn_c
Initiate

Switching Wi-Fi back on won't switch back to a local connection. If you open the menu in the app, it will show the connection method at the top and allow you to switch between Anywhere and Local. Attempting to switch back to local still results in the login error for me.

Message 70 of 194

I agree. Switching back to WiFi doesn't switch from Access Anywhere to local connection. Once you do that manually in the app you have the login problem again. As a said before: local connection to the router is not possible anymore with the Android app.
Message 71 of 194
Hanseman
Tutor

Nice with all workarounds and tips on how to solve this problem. But this is still a problem owned by Netgear and should be solved in a hurry. Why use your products if your support is in sucg a low level? I think the hardware is brilliant but on the software level they seem to hired the not so bright people?

Message 72 of 194
nomandland
Tutor

I also just found out I have the same problem today. Tried everything this thread suggested but nothing works. I think I need to app to set up Alexa on my Orbi Voice, now the app is not working, I don't know how to set it up ... any other thoughts?

Message 73 of 194
hcporter
Initiate

My issue remains because I can't get Anywhere Access turned on. I have tried from an iPad (because I can't log on at all from my Android device) and every time I get the "something went wrong" error message.
Message 74 of 194
Anthracyte
Guide

Hi,

I can confirm I'm having the same problem, have tried on 3 different android devices, have cleared cache, multiple times, and even factory reset the devices and satellites which was a real pain in the backside. Can only access and make some changes via logging on to the routers 10.0.0.1 IP address.

I can't believe the app is the one and only place to make changes, why not a windows or web version? 

Message 75 of 194
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7