Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't logon to Orbi - "Logon timed out, please try again" - STILL AN ISSUE AFTER MORE

shawn_c
Initiate

Re: Can't logon to Orbi - "Logon timed out, please try again" - STILL AN ISSUE AFTER MORE

@hcporter wrote:
My issue remains because I can't get Anywhere Access turned on. I have tried from an iPad (because I can't log on at all from my Android device) and every time I get the "something went wrong" error message.

Even with wi-fi turned off? With wi-fi turned off, it should force you to an Anywhere connection where you use your Netgear login.

Message 76 of 194
Anthracyte
Guide

With Anywhere Access when on 4G, nothing shows up in the list... Not sure if it's turned on, but if it is turned on by default I should be able to see my router since I've factory reset it. 

I shouldn't be getting 'logon timed out' on every single device  I try though. This never used to happen. 

Message 77 of 194
HenrikN
Aspirant

Betreff: Can't logon to Orbi - "Logon timed out, please try again" - STILL AN ISSUE AFTER

I started out with a factory reset (since VPNs and upload speeds are not up to standard, but first things first....) and thought that was initiating the problems. I have tried everything in this thread, and nothing will help me managing my network, not from my android phone nor from my computer. The main reason is the login to router failure from the app which is highly annoying.

I'd expect a fix by this time tomorrow, anything else is a big support failure from Netgear's part

Message 78 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

@shawn_c wrote:

Even with wi-fi turned off? With wi-fi turned off, it should force you to an Anywhere connection where you use your Netgear login.

Anywhere Access must be enabled when the app is connected to the router on the LAN.  This is the "Catch 22" that so many customers find themselves in.  They cannot enable Anywhere Access because the app will not connect on the LAN.  I was lucky and had enabled Anywhere Access some time ago, so my phone can use it.  None of my tablets have LTE capability, so they are worthless.

Message 79 of 194
Anthracyte
Guide

That's fair enough, but even with a factory reset, and 'Anywhere Access' apparently being "enabled by default", its still not working attempting to access a 'newly' setup router.

Message 80 of 194

@Anthracyte wrote:

I can't believe the app is the one and only place to make changes, why not a windows or web version? 

It isn't.The app is possibly the worst place to make important changes. (You don't say there what you want to change or what device you want to control.)

The browser graphical user interface (GUI) is, and always has been, the best option, followed, depending on what you want to do, by the desktop genie for you operating system.

Can only access and make some changes via logging on to the routers 10.0.0.1 IP address.

I would suggest that you just aim a browser at that address, but if this is what your router has adopted, rather than the router default of 192.168.1.1,  you may have a few other things to investgate.

Message 81 of 194
Anthracyte
Guide

I've been able to make most of the changes I wanted to make via routerlogin.net etc, but there are some things and status I want to see that are more visible in the app. 

"The browser graphical user interface (GUI) is, and always has been, the best option, followed, depending on what you want to do, by the desktop genie for you operating system."

What desktop genie app are you talking about?

Message 82 of 194
bigrizz
Guide

This is just latest in a string of issues I keep having with the Orbi. I'm done with it. This is the last straw. I delusionally hung in with the Orbi thinking that one day they'll iron out all the kinks and it'll be stable and feature rich. I've now officially given up hope. I'm giving up on the Orbi and quite frankly, Netgear. Nothing but mediocre from the day I spent good money on my RBK50. Somebody explain to me why on Earth you would implement a UI for a router and not have the ability to sort your devices by different attributes? Want to find a particular IP? Scroll down looking for it. The UI hasn't changed from day one. My old Asus had sorting ability a decade ago.

You live and learn. Good luck, folks. I'm done.
Message 83 of 194
Eddye1964
Aspirant

Message 84 of 194
Bkp1133
Aspirant

Right! How stupid
Message 85 of 194

HAVING SAME ISSUE AND UNFORTUNATELY THE APP IS ABSOLUTELY NECCESSARY TO SET UP ALEXA...WHICH IS STUPID BY THE WAY BECAUSE THAT MAKES THE ORBI VOICE USELESS FOR WHAT IS WAS PURCHASED FOR. 

Message 86 of 194
Lpa66
Aspirant

Ditto for me, cannot log into orbi via android app, "looin time out, pls try again, if this issue persists, try rebooting your device"
Message 87 of 194
scottbb
Aspirant

I had the app on my Samsung S10e and it worked fine.  Then got a Samsung S21 5G and the problems began.

Message 88 of 194
enhompe
Tutor

I got my previous RBR50 out of the garage and plugged it in. No problem connecting with the app. Plugged my regular one back in, and I can only connect via Anywhere. Weird problem, this!
Message 89 of 194

@scottbb wrote:

I had the app on my Samsung S10e and it worked fine.  Then got a Samsung S21 5G and the problems began.

There's a good chance that the new Samsung has a newer version of the Nighthawk App.

That seems to be the common thread.

There are ways to backtrack to older apps. Look for the apk bundle. (That's one way to install the now dead Genie for Android.) I wonder if anyone has tried that.

Message 90 of 194
scottbb
Aspirant

I'm not using Nighthawk.  I use the Orbi app. I used the Orbi app on my previous Samsung phone too.

Message 91 of 194

@scottbb wrote:

I'm not using Nighthawk.  I use the Orbi app. I used the Orbi app on my previous Samsung phone too.

It seems that they are effectively the same thing.

That's why people see the same symptoms.

Use them side by side and you will see that updates for both apps have a habit of appearing at the same time.

Message 92 of 194
KeenEye
Tutor

NetGear Needs to fix this ASAP. I'm unable to access the app on my Samsung device! It works on my wife's Apple device okay. It looks like the Orbi App doesn't like the new security patch on Android devices.

Message 93 of 194

@KeenEye wrote:

It looks like the Orbi App doesn't like the new security patch on Android devices.

Not really. The same fault is there on ancient, unpatched Androids.

Message 94 of 194
KeenEye
Tutor

Oh Really? I thought I started to have this issue since my phone was updated. I've submitted a bug report from my app as a lot of others had done. I hope NetGear fixes this ASAP. As I mentioned in my post, this issue is definitely only on my Android device. The App works on Apple devices.

Message 95 of 194

@KeenEye wrote:

Oh Really? I thought I started to have this issue since my phone was updated.

I find that Android updates can also provoke app updates.

Maybe that happened to you.

Message 96 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

My Android phone no longer receives Android software updates. (I remain on Android 10.)  Same issue with the Orbi app ("Logon timed out.")

Message 97 of 194

@CrimpOn wrote:

My Android phone no longer receives Android software updates. (I remain on Android 10.)  Same issue with the Orbi app ("Logon timed out.")

Android 8 and 9 here. Still getting updates as far as I can tell.

Most recent update for Nighthawk app was 12 Oct 2022, Orbi app was 5 Oct 2022.

Message 98 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Sorry to be unclear.  Android 'apps' update constantly, as long as the new app version is compatible with the underlying Android operating system.  (There are times when an app update will not function with older versions of Android and thus does not install automatically.)

It is the underlying Android operating system that has stopped updating.  My Android security patch, for example, remains at Nov 1, 2020.

Message 99 of 194

@CrimpOn wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Sorry to be unclear.  Android 'apps' update constantly, as long as the new app version is compatible with the underlying Android operating system.  (There are times when an app update will not function with older versions of Android and thus does not install automatically.)

It is the underlying Android operating system that has stopped updating.  My Android security patch, for example, remains at Nov 1, 2020.

Interesting, I have 1 July 2021 on my Huawei Android 9.

Message 100 of 194
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7