Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't logon to Orbi - "Logon timed out, please try again" - STILL AN ISSUE AFTER MORE

CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can't logon to Orbi - "Logon timed out, please try again" - STILL AN ISSUE AFTER MORE

@michaelkenward wrote:

Interesting, I have 1 July 2021 on my Huawei Android 9.

Each company selling Android phones sets its own policy for how long devices will get updates.  My impression is that none of them come even close to matching Apple's update policy.  Mine's a Sony, and Sony's policy is two years.

Message 101 of 194

@CrimpOn wrote:

Each company selling Android phones sets its own policy for how long devices will get updates.  My impression is that none of them come even close to matching Apple's update policy.  Mine's a Sony, and Sony's policy is two years.

Maybe down to costs.

As a Samsung user, mostly, you won't catch me paying Apple prices.

When you pay at least twice what something is worth, a few dollars for firmware updates is peanuts.

I bought the Huawei because Google abandoned the 7-inch Nexus tablet.

Message 102 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

I am one of the five people in the United States who wants a small phone.  Every few months, I do a search for "small cell phone" and just sigh. 5G LTE? not yet.  WiFi6? not yet. New version of Android? not yet. Security updates? not yet.  My biggest fear is that I'll manage to destroy the phone and be forced to buy something that is bigger than I want because there's nothing available in the size I want.

Message 103 of 194
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Orbi Community,

We have released a new Orbi app version (iOS only). Kindly uninstall and install the latest app version 2.21.0.329 and let us know how it goes.

As for the Android version,  we are still working on a fix. We will provide update once new information will be available

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 104 of 194
enhompe
Tutor

I'm one of the other 4. I recommend the Asus Zenfone 9. It's the right size, a little heavy because of the big battery, but otherwise, just what the Dr ordered!

Message 105 of 194
climbertjh
Initiate

Exact same problem for me.

No way I'm turning on Anywhere access just for this app to connect!

Just to pile on, I'm using a Galaxy S21 for the Android app.

The browser interface to the router is slow and old ... but at least it works.

Please fix the Android app!

Message 106 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

Not a problem, because without local access, it is IMPOSSIBLE to enable Anywhere Access

Message 107 of 194
Lansing
Tutor

Did some troubleshooting as I assumed it was on my end. 

Rebooted router (a gazillion times)

Rebooted modem (a gazillion times)

Rebooted phone, apps and deleted / reinstalled

Nothing worked so I was ready to trash the thing until I read that this is an ongoing issue. What kind of company has their customers go through this much agony?  

Submitted a trouble ticket.  How about a fix?

Google Pixel 6Pro

Message 108 of 194

@enhompe wrote:

I'm one of the other 4. I recommend the Asus Zenfone 9. It's the right size, a little heavy because of the big battery, but otherwise, just what the Dr ordered!

This is going seriously off topic, but for me it is invaluable. I am one of the four people in the UK who wants a small phone.

My four-year old Samsung A5 fits in a shirt pocket. But it is too small on the memory front. Time for an upgrade, The Asus looks like one to investigate.

Message 109 of 194

@Blanca_O wrote:

We have released a new Orbi app version (iOS only). Kindly uninstall and install the latest app version 2.21.0.329 and let us know how it goes.

At last, someone from Netgear has put their head above the parapet. Thanks for that. Please keep us informed.

Message 110 of 194
MichelH61
Star

You can do anything what NG may dictate you to do, but it won't solve the problem. My guess is that the underlying cause is Android itself, at least starting from version 10 and later. Android 13 does not let me log-in still.

Let's just wait for the scheduled next version of the Orbi app and see if NG has fixed this problem...

Message 111 of 194
Lansing
Tutor

Android here so need an Android version. Also why would someone have to deinstall and reinstall? Can't you just push updates?

Super frustrated with Netgear and the support that doesn't do their products justice
Message 112 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lansing wrote:
Android here so need an Android version. Also why would someone have to deinstall and reinstall? Can't you just push updates?

The Orbi app for Android is installed through Google Play, so the update is indeed automatic (i.e. pushed).  My own personal experience with Orbi app updates is that the new version always forces me to go through that annoying login procedure the first time it runs after updating.  I picked a long and complicated Netgear login and entering it on that tiny smartphone screen is a chore.

Message 113 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

More off-topic (while we wait for the Android app version.  Guess we know which customers are more important to Netgear)

ZenFone 9 may be a contender, but alas does not support Verizon.

CrimpOn_0-1668183543779.png

Message 114 of 194
Cuebbing
Initiate

Amen, NG pay attention to what is being reported and look into real solutions not canned responses that just delay and frustrate your customers.
Message 115 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

@Cuebbing wrote:
Amen, NG pay attention to what is being reported and look into real solutions not canned responses that just delay and frustrate your customers.

As far as I know, the only response from Netgear is post #110, reporting the new Apple app version.  The rest of the discussion is us customers talking to each other.

Message 116 of 194
Just_Lurking
Guide

@CrimpOn wrote:

I am one of the five people in the United States who wants a small phone.  Every few months, I do a search for "small cell phone" and just sigh. 5G LTE? not yet.  WiFi6? not yet. New version of Android? not yet. Security updates? not yet.  My biggest fear is that I'll manage to destroy the phone and be forced to buy something that is bigger than I want because there's nothing available in the size I want.

I know this is off-topic, but have you ever tried using a larger phone for an extended period of time? I know someone who liked their small phone and ended up needing to use a large phone for a while. After a few weeks of the larger phone they were used to it and the old phone was unnecessarily small and cramped.

That's extremely anecdotal of course, but it does help explain the ever-growing phone sizes. Once people use larger phones for a bit, they get used to the new size and the smaller sizes then feel too small and too cramped to go back.

Message 117 of 194
Just_Lurking
Guide

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi Orbi Community,

As for the Android version,  we are still working on a fix. We will provide update once new information will be available

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread that people were able to continue to use the iOS app while the Android app failed. So it's a little disappointing to see the iOS app updated before a fairly critical issue to the Android app is resolved!

That said, I understand there are probably different teams working on the two apps, and so the release of one app doesn't affect the other. Hopefully the Android issue gets figured out soon...

Message 118 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

@Just_Lurking wrote:

I know this is off-topic, but have you ever tried using a larger phone for an extended period of time? I know someone who liked their small phone and ended up needing to use a large phone for a while. After a few weeks of the larger phone they were used to it and the old phone was unnecessarily small and cramped.

Part of my situation is that I like to keep the phone in my shirt pocket. (Even buy summer polo shirts only with pockets, which are not easy to find.)  Phone plus Covid mask and sometimes reading glasses all fit in the pocket.  Plus, I don't do things like streaming video and playing games on the phone.  Text. Email. Android Auto, WiFi Analyzer app, etc.

In a pinch, the small phone also fits in jeans front pocket. ('pinch' has double meanings)

Message 119 of 194

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Just_Lurking wrote:

Part of my situation is that I like to keep the phone in my shirt pocket. (Even buy summer polo shirts only with pockets, which are not easy to find.)  Phone plus Covid mask and sometimes reading glasses all fit in the pocket.  Plus, I don't do things like streaming video and playing games on the phone.  Text. Email. Android Auto, WiFi Analyzer app, etc.

In a pinch, the small phone also fits in jeans front pocket. ('pinch' has double meanings)

This is what the foldable Samsungs seem to be aimed at. But I am not going to pay silly prices for a phone. I have no need for a portable computer with enough processing power to run a space station and a camera that can record remakes of Ben Hur.

Message 120 of 194
Lansing
Tutor

@netgear if you can't fix the Android app you should at least update the error message so people don't try rebooting their system and troubleshooting.

I spent a good amount of effort trying to fix on my end when it's a Netgear app issue!

Come on!
Message 121 of 194

yeah i talked to tech support they wanted me to pay 89 dollars for their error

Message 122 of 194
CrimpOn
Guru

@JOHNNYB1021976 wrote:

yeah i talked to tech support they wanted me to pay 89 dollars for their error

Good thing you declined the offer to subscribe to GearHead, because they would have told you, "the app is broken. someday there will be a new app, and it might work correctly."

With a purhase, Netgear offers 90 days of "complimentary support" to help customers get their system up and running.  After that they offer a subscription tech support service (Gear Head: https://www.netgear.com/home/services/gearhead/ ) which is similar to Geek Squad from Best Buy. $89 buys six months of support. ($229.99 for two years. Scroll toward the bottom of the page.)  I have friends who use Geek Squad and are fairly pleased.  Don't know anyone who uses Gear Head.

They also offer "Pro Support". Scroll toward the bottom of this page: https://www.netgear.com/support/ 

Extended hardware warranty and 24/7 phone support is $49.99 for two years when purchased within 90 days of buying the product.  Now that I might go for (sort of five years too late for me now.)

None of this, however, would make the Orbi app work.

Sorry to rant.  Too much cheesecake last night.

Message 123 of 194
treadpool
Tutor

This is great to know. Looking forward to a fix. 

Message 124 of 194

@treadpool wrote:

This is great to know. Looking forward to a fix. 

Join the club.

The app that caused this grief landed on 5th October (Orbi) and 12 October (Nighthawk). A  month on and still denial at Netgear's end.

Surprising that reviews on the Android app store haven't gone into meltdown.

Maybe that is the best way to wake them up.

Message 125 of 194
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7