Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Iphone 14.01 upgrade has "broken" Orbi App

seckersl
Star

Iphone 14.01 upgrade has "broken" Orbi App

First , I love the Mesh WiFi. We upgraded from a Nighthawk 6 months ago and everything including Orbi App (which is also great) was all working smoothly until..........I upgraded my iPhone 11 to 14.01 yesterday.

Iphone 14.01 brings extra security and each app must specifically ask for access to the "local network" , when I first opened the Orbi app after the upgrade indeed the app warned me that I must grant permission and the app will ask me to do so on next screen or screens...................IT NEVER DID ask for access to "Local Network" in the process. On checking Orbi app permissions , it shows Local Network had not been requested and indeed in Iphone settings under Privacy/Local Network it shows that Orbi never asked for permissions. After the upgrade I could only randomly access my network through Orbi App using "Anywhere Access" but this only worked about 10% of time, most of the time I got spinning wheel.
I have rebooted/reset router several times - no difference
I have deleted the Orbi App and reinstalled it 10 times and now Orbi has locked me out as I have requested 2 factor authorization too many times.
I have tried accessing my network from 2 different computers either Chrome or Edge and clearing cache/cookies and all i get are 400 bad server or 500 internal server errors
I upgraded Orbi firmware several weeks – but cannot tell what version I am on as I can’t access it due to 400/500 errors.
I was on latest version of Orbi App, but due to lock out cannot go any further

I still have Nighthawk App and this does ask for permissions and Ihave granted it Local network permissions and Iphone shows them as granted (but I have turned them off). I don't use Nighthawk anymore but someone else in another thread says that this fixed the same issue for them
Can anyone help me……………….

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello seckersl, 

May you reinstall the Orbi app as we pushed out an Orbi app update (iOS) this week. I would also recommend checking to see if your iOS device has iOS 14.2 available for update. 

Regards,

Christian 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

This is a Apple and NG issue and nothing can be done until Apple or NG fixes it. 

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 19
msaad
Aspirant

After I upgraded my iphone 6s to IOS14, the next morning I was prompted to update my orbi app to the latest, version 2.6.7.0.  I opened the app, followed the prompt to enable local network access, which I did.  However the app could not detect my Orbi router, kept trying with no success.  I tried all the other solutions mentioned, verified settings/orbi/local network is on, uninstalled the app, re-installed, disabled wifi, rebooted my phone, etc ... with no success.   I was only able to connect to the router through the app by using the access anywhere option.

I used to have the nighthawk R7800 router before upgrading to RBR50, which I transfered to our vacation home, so I still have the app on my phone.  When I usually open it at home, I notice it has a link to open the orbi app instead.   when I previously checked I did not see the settings/nighthawk/local network.  I decided to launch the nighthawk app, when it came up, it walked me through the same prompts the orbi app did when I first started it up, including enabling local network access, I enabled it did again this time through the nighthhawk app.  Once I did that, I opended the orbi app, it was successfully able to detect the RBR50 router.  

I suspect both apps leverage a common library or set of settings under the hood, so if you are like me and have both apps on your phone, this solution might work for you.

I'm running the orbi RBR50 + 1 RBS50 statellite with the latest firmware V2.5.2.4.

Hope this helps others having the same issue.

Message 3 of 19
fmalloy
Luminary

iOS Orbi app v2.6.7.0 is broken. I get the same thing - "Detecting Product" and it cannot and says that it couldn't connect to my network. Previous app version worked fine until I updated it today. The app update was apparently released about 3 days ago.

The iOS app is broken. It's not your router, it's not your firmware, it's not  iOS. They need to fix the bug they introduced in the app.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 19
seckersl
Star

I thinks its the orbi app too 2.6.7.0. the previous version of Orbi App fixed my original probelms with not getting Local network approval but now 2.6.7.0 has introduced spinning wheel  and eventtually  error message "(code CDIL-API-FAIL) when trying to select Device Manager within Orbi App.  From PC everything looks good 

Steve

Message 5 of 19
Isnt
Star

@seckersl wrote:

I thinks its the orbi app too 2.6.7.0. the previous version of Orbi App fixed my original probelms with not getting Local network approval but now 2.6.7.0 has introduced spinning wheel  and eventtually  error message "(code CDIL-API-FAIL) when trying to select Device Manager within Orbi App.  From PC everything looks good 

Steve

I am also facing this app issue with the same error message. This started when I updated my router to firmware 2.7.1.60

Message 6 of 19
Isnt
Star

Message 7 of 19
fmalloy
Luminary

@seckersl wrote:

First , I love the Mesh WiFi. We upgraded from a Nighthawk 6 months ago and everything including Orbi App (which is also great) was all working smoothly until..........I upgraded my iPhone 11 to 14.01 yesterday.

Iphone 14.01 brings extra security and each app must specifically ask for access to the "local network" , when I first opened the Orbi app after the upgrade indeed the app warned me that I must grant permission and the app will ask me to do so on next screen or screens...................IT NEVER DID ask for access to "Local Network" in the process. On checking Orbi app permissions , it shows Local Network had not been requested and indeed in Iphone settings under Privacy/Local Network it shows that Orbi never asked for permissions. After the upgrade I could only randomly access my network through Orbi App using "Anywhere Access" but this only worked about 10% of time, most of the time I got spinning wheel.
I have rebooted/reset router several times - no difference
I have deleted the Orbi App and reinstalled it 10 times and now Orbi has locked me out as I have requested 2 factor authorization too many times.
I have tried accessing my network from 2 different computers either Chrome or Edge and clearing cache/cookies and all i get are 400 bad server or 500 internal server errors
I upgraded Orbi firmware several weeks – but cannot tell what version I am on as I can’t access it due to 400/500 errors.
I was on latest version of Orbi App, but due to lock out cannot go any further

I still have Nighthawk App and this does ask for permissions and Ihave granted it Local network permissions and Iphone shows them as granted (but I have turned them off). I don't use Nighthawk anymore but someone else in another thread says that this fixed the same issue for them
Can anyone help me……………….

If you have the Netgear Nighthawk app on your phone - delete it. Doing that fixed my problem with the latest Orbi app and everything works again.

Message 8 of 19
seckersl
Star

Thanks for the suggestion of deleting Nighthawk app, I did that , unfortunatley still broken

Message 9 of 19
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello seckersl, 

May you reinstall the Orbi app as we pushed out an Orbi app update (iOS) this week. I would also recommend checking to see if your iOS device has iOS 14.2 available for update. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 10 of 19
relberfeld
Apprentice

i am on 14.2 IOS and 2.7.0.28 on orbi.  current firmware on rbr50.  after upgrade to latest orbi now on device manager i get the same error - either 0 devices or cannot contact server.  i have 23 devices not 0.  This release totally screwed up the app and my network.

when will this be fixed ?  does netgear management know about this serious break and lack of IT testing ?

Message 11 of 19
seckersl
Star

It's all working now , i think the last version of app 2.7.0.28 has fixed my issue

Message 12 of 19
relberfeld
Apprentice

I am already on 14.2 iOS and 2.7.0.28 on Orbi. No devices show up. Error. Just like everyone else having this same stupid problem. For gods sake can’t someone in tech fix this ???
Message 13 of 19
Stevenloren6480
Aspirant

Removed old nighthawk app and restarted RBR50 from iOS app. Now I can again see devices in the app.
Message 14 of 19
Isnt
Star

Solved! For me at least!
I downloaded to newest iphone app this morning and I can now access the Device Manager and see all devices with no error occurring! So finally fixed I think. I tried it both on my iphone and ipad and it works fine 😄

Message 15 of 19
relberfeld
Apprentice

still broken. i get the dumb api error and 0 devices.  this whole thing started when they pushed armor on us, that piece of crap has caused the error and I guess tech support just cant figure this one out.

Message 16 of 19
relberfeld
Apprentice

not to mention that now the app just crashes on IOS.  14.2. what a joke.

time for another vendor - google ?

Message 17 of 19
relberfeld
Apprentice

I suspect that anyone with armor running still has the problem.

attention NETGEAR TECH:

have you TESTED THIS WITH ARMOR ?

Message 18 of 19
relberfeld
Apprentice

apparently netgear upgraded two point releases on this and STILL didnt get it fixed

two errors - first a completely undocumented error about "unable to add"

second - the obvious database error that wasnt tested by the highly competent tech team at Netgear

IMG_2126.PNGIMG_2127.PNG

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7