Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is there any way to measure data usage via the app or web interface to chart peak usage?

gobananasnet
Apprentice

Is there any way to chart peak network data usage via the app or web interface?

To best determine my entire network's actual peak usage, I need to measure/chart it through the Orbi Router. I don't want to pay for more data from my ISP if it is not necessary. To do that I need to know my peak usage? I've seen the "Traffic Meter" and it is not able to show anything like that. Is there another way or another tool? To be clear, I'm not talking about any specific device, but instead the combined usage of all devices on my network. Thanks

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is there any way to measure data usage via the app or web interface to chart peak usage?

@gobananasnet wrote:

Is there another way or another tool? To be clear, I'm not talking about any specific device, but instead the combined usage of all devices on my network. Thanks

No.  Traffic Meter is the only tool that Netgear provides. As you have decuced, Traffic Meter is intended to warn users when they are approaching monthly "caps" which will trigger increased charges from their ISP.

"Usage" is an ambiguous term because some types of internet connections are time-sensitive and others are not.  Streaming video, for example, requires different bandwidth depending on the quality of service.  This website has an interesting report on various streaming services: https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/how-much-speed-do-i-need-to-watch-netflix-and-hulu  Suppose the plan is to stream 4K video (the highest) on four TV's at the same time.  4 times 25 = 100mb/sec.  If you have less than 100mb, the video streams will stutter or lag.  (It appears you could stream 10-20 lower quality video streams with the same 100mb internet connection.)

Things like web browsing, email, downloading files, etc. are not time-sensitive.  If there is less bandwidth, then it takes longer.  If you have 200mb and start a download of a 2GB file, it will probably consume the entire 200mb, until the file is downloaded, and then consume zero until you do something else.  The point of having tremendous bandwidth is (a) to shave a milisecond off response time, and (b) to make activities complete more quickly.

So, if videos are not streaming smoothly, there is not enough bandwidth.  If you keep saying, "Dang. Web pages sure load slowly." There is not enough bandwidth.

Not what you wanted to hear.  Sorry.

Message 2 of 9
gobananasnet
Apprentice

Thanks for your response.

I was already aware of that, but thanks for taking the time in case someone else finds this thread and needs to better understand it. Also, I should have mentioned I have unlimted data (no caps) from my ISP.

My use is software which at certain times of day I have it consuming sizeable amounts of (financial market) data on two computers. I need it to be running peak performance. I occasionally have glitches with bandwidth stalls it seems, freezing the software, yet my ISP (Specturm) says I need to measure from my (Orbi) router my peak consumption moments, as they say all seems fine. My ISP service is actually very dependable and stable with nearly never having issues and always solid line tests.

So, how do I measure peak bandwidth moments? This seems a logical feature all routers should have.

Thanks

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@gobananasnet wrote:

My use is software which at certain times of day I have it consuming sizeable amounts of (financial market) data on two computers. I need it to be running peak performance. I occasionally have glitches with bandwidth stalls it seems, freezing the software,

My guess is that the most useful approach will be to run bandwidth monitoring software on these two computers.  If they are Windows machines, there are a number of programs which watch the ethernet (or WiFi) connection and record what is going on (sometimes in some detail). https://windowsreport.com/bandwidth-monitors-windows-10/ 

I'm sure you are probably aware of the feature in Ctrl-Alt-Delete to show performance.  Attached is a screen grab of my PC displaying Live View from 6 security cameras. (see attachment)

At the very least, watching the network utilization on the two computers would provide a "ball park" feeling for what is going on. 

Things like stock tickers and scrolling news items consume very little actual bandwidth.

There are routers that report bandwidth usage (or at least people dissing the Orbi claim there are).  I'd want to at least look at the two computers first before buying something to put in front of the Orbi.

Message 4 of 9
gobananasnet
Apprentice

Thanks, yes I'm aware of those options. I really want to get to the router level showing graphic usage charts. Thanks

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Another option is to temporarily accept the ISP's offer to increase bandwidth (for a higher monthly payment).  If after one month, the problems persist, you could always go back to the previous plan.  If the problems go away, the problem no longer exists!

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi do you have? 

@gobananasnet wrote:

Thanks, yes I'm aware of those options. I really want to get to the router level showing graphic usage charts. Thanks

Message 7 of 9
gobananasnet
Apprentice

RBR750 aka RBK753S-100NAS. It's a highend home router $500. I believe it very reasonable to expect something like this to have a feature to measure and chart bandwidth usage.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya thats something that left to business and enterprise class environments. 

If you had the 50 series, then you could load up Voxels FW and configure a bandwidth plug in. I did it once on my RBR50. Or was that my R7800, can't remember now. He does FW for both 50 series Orbi and the R7800. Nice sutff but take some doing to get it all configured. He doen't work on Orbi AX stuff. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7