Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi app speed test inaccurate vs speedtest.net for AC2200 router, helped by CM600 modem

radderthanrad
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi app speed test inaccurate vs speedtest.net for AC2200 router, helped by CM600 modem

I just set up my new CM600 modem a few nights ago because my Orbi 2200 router was being unreliable. I bought the Orbi router has really helped cover my duplex apartment with good, reliable WiFi. I have the main router hub downstairs near our home office and the satellite upstairs near the living room. Part of the speed problems I've had were related to Spectrum internet service, which can't be blamed on the router. 

However, one thing I noticed about the Orbi router is that the app includes a "Speed Test" service. After setting up the router, I was consistently told by the app on my phone (iPhone 8 Plus) that my download speeds were 200+ mbps, which was great and much better than my old internet speeds! My internet service plan from Spectrum is supposed to get me 200 mbps downloads. The Orbi app says their speed test is provided by Ookla, who also have their own speed test website and app on iphone. What I found out was that on my iPhone Orbi app, my download speeds were rated as 200+ mbps, but only 30-35 mbps on the separate Ookla speed test app (both are run from my phone). I checked the Speed Test website on my laptop in the same location and also got 30-35 mbps. This leads me to believe that Netgear may be using the Ookla Speed Test service, but they are manipulating the numbers on the app to make their router look faster and better as the numbers are inconsistent. On 3/26/2019 around 11:09 pm the Ookla Speed Test app measured a download speed of 39.5 mbps, whereas the Orbi Speed Test (powered by Ookla) measured 209.32 mbps download at 11:11 pm. You may notice that on 3/27/19 the Speed Test app screen shot (darker background) the speeds doubled, because that's after I upgraded by cable modem from an older Arris model to a Netgear CM600. However, strangely, the Orbi Speed Test app didn't measure much of a change in download speed after the modem upgrade.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Orbi router and satellite since my apartment has good wifi and speeds with the upgraded modem, but don't trust their app's in-built "speed test".

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi app speed test inaccurate vs speedtest.net for AC2200 router, helped by CM600 modem

The built in app with the orbi is hardwired into the orbi. So its going off a hardwired speed. I notice your screen shot is from a wireless device. The wireless device might be connected to teh 2.4ghz or if its on 5ghz might be having interference in your area. Try hardwiring in your laptop and testing the speeds that way. That'll give you an accurate measure of your speeds. Your results of that dictate the best way to troubleshoot this to be a connectio problem to a wireless issue. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The built in app with the orbi is hardwired into the orbi. So its going off a hardwired speed. I notice your screen shot is from a wireless device. The wireless device might be connected to teh 2.4ghz or if its on 5ghz might be having interference in your area. Try hardwiring in your laptop and testing the speeds that way. That'll give you an accurate measure of your speeds. Your results of that dictate the best way to troubleshoot this to be a connectio problem to a wireless issue. 

Message 2 of 4
radderthanrad
Aspirant

Thank you. 

That makes sense. I was hoping the Orbi app's speed test functionality would allow me to determine the best location for satellite routers by testing the speed from my wireless devices, but if it only tests the speed of the main router connected to my modem, then that doesn't seem to be the case and I would need to use a third-party solution. Thank you.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Speedtest is the app that the built in Orbi uses. You can use the same app on your phone for testing placment. Keeping in mind, you should run the test several times because Orbi will dynamically change 2.4-5ghz as needed for speed. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7