Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New iPhone on Home Network Shows Different MAC Address

mapalm418
Aspirant

New iPhone on Home Network Shows Different MAC Address

I have a network running on an RB 20 router and satellite. I recently bought a new iPhone 13 Pro. When I looked at the list of attached devices on the Orbi app, I did not see the new phone (but I know it is connected since I have Wi-Fi on the phone).

The device name was a string of numbers. I assumed this was the new iPhone. So I changed the name to my phone. But when I look at the MAC address, it does not match the WiFi address I see under Settings on the iPhone.

Also, it does not indocate that it is an Apple device, whereas my other Apple devices do show up as Apple devices.

Is this normal?

I assume this device *is* my phone since it does not allow me to toggle off WiFi when I am in the app on my phone.

Thanks for any insight.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: New iPhone on Home Network Shows Different MAC Address

All of the new operating system versions feature the ability to create randomized MAC addresses when connecting to WiFi networks. If you Google "randomized MAC address" there wll be many (many) articles explaining how wonderful it is.  I absolutely hate it, and always find the section in Network Settings to disable this feature and use the actual hardware MAC address.

Message 2 of 6
mapalm418
Aspirant

Interesting. Thanks.

How do I disable that? I'd prefer to see actual MAC addresses, too. Is it the Network Settings on the Orbi? Or somewhere else?

I'm haing trouble connecting to orbilogin.com, so not sure I can even change settings there.

Here is another post I made today:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Says-My-iMac-Is-Not-Connected-to-The-Network-But-It-Is/m-...

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@mapalm418 wrote:

Interesting. Thanks.

How do I disable that? I'd prefer to see actual MAC addresses, too. Is it the Network Settings on the Orbi? Or somewhere else?

This setting is on the individual device, buried somewhere in "Settings....Network".  On my Android, I click the little gear icon, which opens up WiFi information, then click on Advanced.  iPhones are spawn of the devil. Their settings are an arcane mystery.

Message 4 of 6
mapalm418
Aspirant

Yes, I found that just after I submitted my reply. (I'm on an iPhone.) Thanks.

I do indeed see the MAC address that Orbi says is my iPhone, so all good there. I wonder if that'a also the reason Orbi doesn't autmpoatically list my iPhone as an Apple product. 

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Each manufacturer has OUI codes which network devices use in an attempt to figure out which company made the chip.

I like this site: https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7