Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Newtork map in ORBI app does not show devices when selected

17alex23
Initiate

I just figured out the fix on my iphone.   I logged into the web interface and was looking at the attached device list .  I show that some of the devices had a blank model name . ONly showed some dashes.  -----  .  I clicked on each device and updated the model name.  For example my Roku showed Device Name: Roku  but Model Name was ---- .  I changed the model name to Roku and saved.  But once I did this I saw that the values in the app for this device changed to NULL .  I went back and the device and the Device Name was now missing so I updated that again.  DId this for about 5 devices and after refreshing the app the devices are now shown under each satellite under it's device list. 

Message 51 of 66
Chuck_M
Mentor

+1, that is a good bit of information to know!  The engineers should be informed of this finding.

Message 52 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Saw this, got excited and renamed all of my devices with 'dashes' in their names - but alas, it didn't do anything either. My wife's iphone has always worked withouit issue and shows up everything correctly, so I'm guessing this is an Android Oreo or Pie  issue (my phones had both), or potentially even Smasung Galaxy specific?

Anyway - eveything works via web access, so that'll do for now - but I'm guessing there are loads of people out there that probably don't even know how to access this resource, so Netgear really should fix this...

Message 53 of 66
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Shinedown -- Can you also check your Router and satellite names to see if they have spaces or special characters in them?

Message 54 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Hi Chuck, yeah done all that pal (couple of pages earlier in the thread), but thanks anyway.

Genuinely exhausted all options now. It's the app itself on my GS9 on Android Oreo/Pie , it has to be. Works everywhere else just fine, except on my (and seemingly others) Galaxy phone, I've also reinstalled the app a number of times too... Same app on my wife's iPhone works perfectly.

Guess it's just a waiting game now.
Message 55 of 66
Chuck_M
Mentor

So I had what seemed like the exact issue.

Funny that a friend came into my house and we used his phone and it worked excellent.

I went over to his house with my phone and MY phone worked well.

Turned out it was an odd character in the Orbi Name.

Have you considered or done a factory reset to see if that resolves this?

I know that sounds crazy, but I think it may be useful.

Message 56 of 66
PapaMike
Star

Try this with any mobile phone.

Settings/Wifi/SSID then...info tab...Forget This Network.

Restart the phone and reset Wifi.

That may be helpful.

Message 57 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Thanks Chuck, but it's not the case with my setup, having changed the names of the Router and Satellite a number of times, avoiding any spaces, special characters and even capital letters - nothing worked...

Message 58 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Tried it - didn't work, but thanks anyway PapaMike...

Message 59 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Why is this thread marked as 'solved' can a moderator undo this as it clearly isn't? I'd really like Netgear to take this seriously...
Message 60 of 66
Chuck_M
Mentor

Shine, I had a friend with Orbi and an android phone (as I do).  It was odd my phone worked PERFECTLY on his setup, but did not work on mine.  His phone worked PERFECTlY on his setup as well as mine.  

I finally got mine working by changing some names on the Router, Sats and SSID - I know that isnt your issue, but what I believe it points to is probably some "lose coding" that under certain circumstances doesnt allow the app to properly render.

I dont think it is the phone or the Orbi itself... Do you know others with Orbi's you can test your phone on?

Message 61 of 66
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Just updated my Orbi firmware. Concidently my phone also updated to Android 9 withing the same time period. App map now lists connected devices correctly. All good.

Message 62 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Holy heck! I just looked at the app after reading the above post and things have just miraculously started to work - I know I updated the app fairly recently, so maybe Netgear pushed a fix? Either way, it would certainly seem like things are now working 👍🏻
Message 63 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to post about this in the Orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Thank you. 

Message 64 of 66
Accutronman
Guide

Re: Network map in ORBI app does not show devices when selected

Still doesn’t show devices correctly for satellite in 2.3.1.48

Message 65 of 66
Rocketo
Aspirant

Same issue with mine on iPhone app with same fix. Named the empty device which in this case was Nest cams, and immediately devices showed in both the device lost and network maps.
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 66 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 65 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7