Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI App does not ask for Local Network access permission with IOS 14.2 so can't use the app at

DevonWorrell
Guide

ORBI App does not ask for Local Network access permission with IOS 14.2 so can't use the app at all

It appears that there is a problem with IOS 14.2 either as a new OS issue for asking for Local network access or the app is not doing it. Can not use the app at all because of this.

Message 1 of 45

Accepted Solutions
ViperCU
Initiate

Re: ORBI App does not ask for Local Network access permission with IOS 14.2 so can't use the app at

Reinstalled several times with the same issue. BUT, I stumbled upon a fix: I installed the nighthawk app and when I installed it did ask for permission for local network access. Because I don’t have a nighthawk, I got the same error/issue but then when I deleted the nighthawk app and reinstalled the orbi app, it worked and asked for local network access. So, my problem is solved and maybe this will work for someone else.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 45

All Replies
GMoGoody8
Luminary

I’m only on 14.0 but if the app isn’t asking can you go through settings?

Settings—> Orbi—> Then toggle local network?
Message 2 of 45
Mstrbig
Master

Try rebooting the Orbi and see if you can log in.

Message 3 of 45
DevonWorrell
Guide

This was during the initial setup and I got past only by using a phone with older OS. Once did the initial setup then I can log in using web and manage. Think either bug in iOS 14.2 or in Orbi app for the new restriction in iOS 14 that required applications to ask for permission to use the local network.

Message 4 of 45
Mikey94025
Hero

Make sure you upgrade/download the latest Orbi app version from the App Store.  Version 2.6.3.1 was released 1d ago and says (I just tried the app and it accessed my Orbi RBR850, I granted access to look for local devices when the iOS14 permission dialog prompted it upon first app launch - like many other apps):

iOS14 support.  Please ensure that you grant "Local Network" access so that the app can communicate with your Orbi WiFi system.

Message 5 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app
Good Luck.

@DevonWorrell wrote:

It appears that there is a problem with IOS 14.2 either as a new OS issue for asking for Local network access or the app is not doing it. Can not use the app at all because of this.

Message 6 of 45
ViperCU
Initiate

I’m having the same problem. Specifically, the pop-up to ask for local network access does not show up, the app just goes to the next option. Therefore, the app never asks for local network access, the option to turn it on never appears in “settings/general/orbi” and the app never shows up in “settings/general/privacy” so there is no way to toggle it on. This only fails on my phone. I’m able to access it/use the app on iPads and other iPhones.
Message 7 of 45
GMoGoody8
Luminary

Weird my iPhone X is on 14.0 and I have received the notification all three times.

- When I first upgraded to IOS 14 my RBR50 was on 2.5.1.16
- When I upgraded the RBR50 to 2.7.0.70 it pushed a new version of the app so it asked me again.
- I was having a different issue with the new app listing my IPhone X’s real MAC and not letting me delete it. So I completely uninstalled the app, reinstalled and as soon as it opened I was asked for the network permission.

Have you tried the reinstall app route?
Message 8 of 45
ViperCU
Initiate

Reinstalled several times with the same issue. BUT, I stumbled upon a fix: I installed the nighthawk app and when I installed it did ask for permission for local network access. Because I don’t have a nighthawk, I got the same error/issue but then when I deleted the nighthawk app and reinstalled the orbi app, it worked and asked for local network access. So, my problem is solved and maybe this will work for someone else.
Message 9 of 45
DevonWorrell
Guide

yes delete both Nighthawk and Orbi applications and then reinstall Orbi and it did finally ask for permissioin.

Message 10 of 45
MitchStr
Tutor

That solved the problem of the app not asking to allow “Local Networks” but introduced a new problem....the app will not me to add my phone as a “Trusted Device” even after I enter the verification code.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 45
fussydutchman
Aspirant

This worked for me. Thank you!

Message 12 of 45
RichRich
Initiate

worked , seemed so screwy ,,, but it worked , make sure you use last step and delete the Nighthawlk App. -- worked for me after all the stepe

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 13 of 45
roarty58
Guide

ViperCU - thanks for posting.  This took care of the issue for me.

Message 14 of 45
afff50v2
Guide

Same for me. I did log into the ‘not secure’ admin website so I could update the firmware - thought that might help, but it didn’t.
Asks for local network access ✔️
Local network access is selected in app settings ✔️
Deleted and reinstalled app (including nighthawk) ✔️
Restarted the router/modem/phone ✔️
Do not have VPN✔️

Nothing works! Can’t even send a message to them on the developers side though the App Store. Really frustrated with this expensive pice of nothing.
Message 15 of 45
BigMooose
Aspirant

Thanks for the workaround! I've just made the switch and new Orbi arrived today, but the app wouldn't connect to the orbi and wasn't asking for network access... Gave a very bad first impression for Obi and was on the verge of packing it up again to return before stumbling on this thread.

I'm now just left unable to set my IOS14 iphone as a trusted device... 

Message 16 of 45
ChrisKing
Guide

Thanks for the tips on a work around, sadly didnt work for me, but I can see the Local Network option on Nighthawk, but even after removing the app afterwards and then deleting Orbi App and installing again, it still refused to open up the option.

Although I am on iOS 14.0.1 here, and there are no pending updates to the iOS, I check regularly, but so far nothing more recent since 14.0.1. 

Message 17 of 45
Warren11
Aspirant

This was my exact problem. Because I had the Nighthawk app installed along with the Orbi app it somehow prevented the Orbi app from prompting to allow Local Network access. Once I deleted the Nighthawk app the Orbi app finally prompted me and I was able to hit OK and continue on. I would have gone into the Settings -> Orbi and toggle Local Network but that option isn’t in the Orbi app settings. Must be a big.
Message 18 of 45
mgtechus
Aspirant

@BigMooose wrote:

Thanks for the workaround! I've just made the switch and new Orbi arrived today, but the app wouldn't connect to the orbi and wasn't asking for network access... Gave a very bad first impression for Obi and was on the verge of packing it up again to return before stumbling on this thread.

I'm now just left unable to set my IOS14 iphone as a trusted device... 

I am having thje same issue. Iphone 11 iOS 14.0.1

At 1st I thought it was a network problem, however I have tried all these methods.

Deleted Nighthawk app and reinstalled.

Tried wifi and cell data.

Verified app\ Iphone settings and local network was enabled.

Error is the same "Unable to add your device"

Message 19 of 45
DevonWorrell
Guide

believe you may need to have deleted NightHawk, rebooted and then NOT installing it and only installing ORBI app to get the request to enable local network access. Possible that if both are installed that the request woudl not happen or least that was the case for me.

Message 20 of 45
UncleBrett
Guide

This worked for me too!

Message 21 of 45
afff50v2
Guide

Ok. I have tried EVERYTHING deleting nighthawk app, deleting Orbi app, rebooting modem/router, I can get through the allowing network access but the app will NOT verify my phone as a trusted device therefore won’t open the app to me. Fells really insecure? And so crazy that you can not message the developer through the app. I am not happy with the lack of support from this company. 😒
Message 22 of 45
MitchStr
Tutor

Restart your phone when all else fails
Message 23 of 45
afff50v2
Guide

I have restarted my phone.  I have rebooted my phone.  I have tried EVERYTHING that has been suggested.  nothing has worked.  

Message 24 of 45
afff50v2
Guide

and getting these stupid badges for being a 'poster' when I am just on here trying to find a solution to an app issue is just insulting.  

Message 25 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7