Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI now showing offline devices too

XBond
Apprentice

ORBI now showing offline devices too

I was updated to the latest fw this morning.

Now the ORBI app under Network Map, lists both online and offline devices which is kind of a pain, since I don’t need/care to see offline devices.

It is even worse for the Device Manager section of the app. It lists over 100 offline devices. Seems to be any device that has ever connected to either the router or a satellite. This is not very useful as some of these devices are guests’ devices from years ago.

At least give me an option to filter this out for both Device Manager and Network Map.

Prior to today all I saw was connected and online devices which is what I care about.

This is quite a step back in functionality imho. Would be really great to get the old functionality back.

Thanks.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello XBond,

Thanks for the feedback. I would check to see if your router is due for a firmware update and reinstall the Orbi app.

Christian 

Message 2 of 9
XBond
Apprentice

The router and satellites are all running the latest firmware. The app was recently updated. I guess that I could try and reinstall the app.

Message 3 of 9
XBond
Apprentice

Well, that sucked. Reinstalled the app, but now I can't log in to my account in the Orbi. Says it doesn't recognize the device. Says it is sending a code, but well um, the app times out before I have a chance to get the code (which never arrives), so I can't login.

Man, this is starting to become an epic fail. This was all working fine.

Message 4 of 9
XBond
Apprentice

Worked around that. So now I know that I have the latest iPhone Orbi app installed.

Same issue. Still see all the offline devices.

Message 5 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi XBond,

Thanks for getting back with an update. May you factory reset your router and run through the setup assistant again using the Orbi app. 

Christian 

Message 6 of 9
XBond
Apprentice

Got a call from Netgear Level 2 support yesterday. This seems like a feature change in the app. Being escalated to the engineering team. There is nothing wrong with the app it the new behavior makes it harder (and more annoying) to navigate in the app.

Also, doing a factory reset just can’t be the answer to everything - my two cents.
Message 7 of 9
Toddgarnand
Initiate

My concern is, are these offline devices tying up IP addresses eventually leading to no available IPs as devices pull new leases, especially with the roll out of private WiFi-addresses. And for someone whom has static routes, IP reservations, and V-lans setup I refuse to accept a factory reset as an acceptable resolution and I certainly have neither the time nor desire to sit here and manually remove/delete each device one by one. Industry standard for a DHCP lease is 72 hours, considering it would appear there is no expiration for leases in the Orbi system I would think that to be a reasonable place for the Engineering and Development team to start
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I, also, was surprised to see over 100 devices in the Orbi "app", which I verified by opening the Orbi web interface to the Advanced Tab, Security, Access Control. There is a table, "Allowed Devices not currently connected to the network."  Oh, my. Every device that had ever connected to the Orbi was listed.

This makes sense in the context of Access Control.  If the user enabled access control and specifies "Block New Devices from Connecting", then the Orbi needs to have a record of devices which have been allowed to connect.  This does not tie up IP addresses in the DHCP pool.  All it does is remember "This device is allowed."

In my case, I have Access Control disabled. (I find it a distraction.) So, I got rid of all these entries.  If one of these devices comes back some day and tries to connect with the 25 character Orbi WiFi password, I'm fine with that.

If the concern is tying up IP addresses, I  believe it is not the case.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7