Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 6 can't delete iPhone 12

dbottoms
Aspirant

Orbi 6 can't delete iPhone 12

I have the Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 System - AX6000 3 pack RBK853 and recently my iPhone 12 no longer has internet access.  When I look at the device the IP address appears to be 0.0.0.0 and when I attempt to delete it I get an "Unknown" error dialog and says "Unknown Error" with an OK button.  There are no other options. 

My Orbi is at the latest V4.6.3.16 firmware with no upgrades available.

When I try a Samsung Galaxy S12 phone alternative I can see the iPhone 12 but there is no delete device option.  When I look online using the Orbi routerlogin or the orbilogin websites it doesn't actually show me that my iPhone 12 is connected.  So there is nothing to delete.   The iPhone is connected but with no internet.  Flicking through apps like Facebook doesn't display any pictures and is very slow.  Other online apps are dodgy too. My belief is if I can somehow delete the iPhone 12 from the Orbi devices I should be able to re-connect it and all would be well again with it.  I just can't figure out hwo to delete it.  I've tried to temporarily turn off Access Control with no improvement.  I've created a Guest network and the iPhone 12 has no problem connecting to the Guest Network but of course it has limited access to parts of the network which is a problem.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Well there would be no need to delete the iphone if your using Orbi app ON the iphone as well. 

Is WiFi Private Address enabled on the iphone? If so, you can disable this. This isn't needed while your at home. If you travel, then you can enabled it then. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Where are you trying to "delete" the iphone? 
Is Wifi Privacy Address feature enabled on the iPhone? 

Message 2 of 6
dbottoms
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38 thanks a bunch for replying.  So, I'm in the Orbi app on my iPhone 12.  In the Device Manager -> iPhone -> "Delete This Device" in red at bottom. 

What's puzzling is the Device Manager shows my iPhone 12 as offline when I'm clearly online.  But I have diminished network access when I am connected so I switch to mobile often to do little things like surf Facebook or Instagram which is annoying.   It also shows the IP address of the iPhone 12 as  0.0.0.0 which makes no sense to me.  When I look at my iPhone WiFi settings it clearly does have an IP address on my local network.

I also noticed there is another generic iPhone device listed in the device manager.  It must be my iPhone 12 as its the only one in the house and no visitors have an iPhone.  This iPhone device has no Mac ID, is shown as Offline, and has a 0.0.0.0 IP address as well.  I can however delete this device though it reappears within a moment or so.  Facinating problem.

I just checked the Wifi Privacy Address option from the Orbi Wifi connection on my iPhone 12 in the Settings and I confirm the Private Wi-Fi Address is enabled.  Reading about this option does seem to suggest it may be the issue. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Well there would be no need to delete the iphone if your using Orbi app ON the iphone as well. 

Is WiFi Private Address enabled on the iphone? If so, you can disable this. This isn't needed while your at home. If you travel, then you can enabled it then. 

Message 4 of 6
dbottoms
Aspirant

Thanks again Furry.  While my iPhone does appear to be on my network this week; I continue to fail to understand how I got it back on the network.  I was definately not on my network when I posted the original thread.  But I will disable that private IP setting for now as I rarely travel.  This may remain a mystery.  But thanks again for the responses.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The WiFi Private Address causes the phone to give out a different MAC address I believe on a randome or by connection basis. So possible that the phone and router were having problems, the MAC address changed and possible it go re-connected this time. This apple feature seems to be causing odd problems. Why I disable mine while home. No need to be changing MAC addresses when at home. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7