Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi App Anywhere Access not working

JScharps
Guide

Orbi App Anywhere Access not working

Can’t enable the Anywhere Access in the Orbi App.  Every time I try, I get the message “Something went wrong, sorry about this.  Please try again”.  

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Message 1 of 78
JScharps
Guide

Why doesn’t anyone from Netgear respond to this issue?  

Message 2 of 78
CrimpOn
Guru

Is this the Apple or Android version of the 'app'?

Sometimes completely removing the app and reinstalling it works.

And, of course, Anywhere Access can be enabled only when the Apple/Android device is connected to the Orbi LAN.

Message 3 of 78
JScharps
Guide

Apple version. I’m connected at home via Wi-Fi. If I turn off my Wi-Fi, then I can’t get into the app because I can’t turn on the anywhere access. I keep getting an error message. Error message states “ something went wrong , sorry about this. Please try again “. Just started to happen with the latest app update.
Message 4 of 78
CrimpOn
Guru

You are trying to enable when you ARE connected to WiFi, correct?
Message 5 of 78
JScharps
Guide

Correct
Message 6 of 78
CrimpOn
Guru

Is there another iPhone or iPad that you can load the app on?

Message 7 of 78
JScharps
Guide

No. I have the app on both my iPhone and iPad. Why do you think deleting the app and reinstalling the app will fix this issue?
Message 8 of 78
JScharps
Guide

Btw. I deleted the app on my iPhone and then reinstalled the app. That didn’t work. Still can’t turn on Anywhere Access.
Message 9 of 78
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a pretty clear progression of steps that people take to solve "computer problems" when no one seems to have a clear idea what is the matter.  The theory is that "something is corrupted, and once the corruption is gone, everything will work".

• First, turn everything off and back on again.  router, iPhone, iPad.  Everything.
  • If that doesn't work, completely erase the program that isn't working.  Get rid of it completely.  Data, Cache, everything.
    Then restart the iPhone, reload the app and try again.
  • Still no joy, do a "quick factory reset" on the router. i.e.
    • Using the web browser interface,
    • Save a copy of the configuration to a computer (or tablet)
    • Get out the paperclip and do a Factory Reset.
    • When the router comes back up broadcasting the credentials on the product label,
    • Go through the setup using the web browser interface but
      • Do NOT change the WiFi credentials.
      • Plow through the config pages, ignoring offers to sign up for things or register the router, until...
      • You get to a page that offers a choice of (a) continue the setup manually, or (b) load a previously saved configuration.
      • Take the reload option and reload that saved configuration file.
    • This entire process can be done in under 15 minutes.
    • When the reload finishes, the router will boot up with the saved WiFi credentials and everything in the house will begin to connect.
  • Still not successful, "next to last resort" is to do a for real Factory Reset and type  everything in from scratch. (In my case this takes about two hours.)
  • Even this fails???  "Last Resort" is to manually load previous firmware on the router.

Since I am an Android Deviant, I also have the option to find previous versions of the Orbi app and replace the current one with an older version.  I doubt that Apple folk have this option.

Is this acceptable?  Of course not.  It sucks, big time.  A lot of customers might think, "Meh. I don't need Anywhere Access enough to go through all this.  Maybe a future release of the app will work correctly."

Message 10 of 78
Binky73
Aspirant

I used an older iPhone that would not download the new version of the Orbi app, BUT it would let me download an older version of the app. I have 2.13.1.4 app version and v2.7.4.24 firmware version. I tried to enable the access anywhere option on the older version of Orbi app and still unable to access.
For reference, the new version of the app is 2.20.1.9
Seems to me the common denominator for the anywhere access option not working is the firmware version of the actual Orbi router itself.
Is there an option to revert back to an older version of the firmware to test that theory?
Or when will the new firmware be updated to work with enabling the access anywhere option?
This is a problem for many people and needs to be addressed by Orbi.
Message 11 of 78
GNX375
Aspirant

im having the same problem with 2 netgear routers.  not sure when it stopped working but ive tried everything

Message 12 of 78
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 13 of 78
Ferrellt
Star

Factory reset won’t do squat if the problem is in the Orbi app or it’s design
Message 14 of 78
tws46
Initiate

A few weeks ago my Orbi RBR50 (at my home) and my Orbi RBR20 (at a remote location) suddenly disabled the Anywhere Access feature and will not allow me to re-enable it . As others have experienced, I get the message "Something went wrong, sorry about that. Please try again".  I made no changes to either router that would have triggered this problem.  I've tried everything except a factory reset....since I get the same response on both routers I don't believe a reset would work.  Was there a recent firmware update that might've done this?  Has anyone heard from Netgear/Orbi on this glitch? Guess I'll go router shopping!

Message 15 of 78
Greene10
Apprentice

Support acknowledged there was a problem with Anywhere Access and wanted me to do a workaround which I refused. I read somewhere Anywhere Access was working prior to an October 6 app update. I am currently looking at other routers.

Message 16 of 78
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, you are a little behind.  The Oct 6 update to the Android Orbi app mangled Anywhere Access.  There have been two updates since then.  It might be less costly. to update the Orbi app and re-enable Anywhere Access.

Of course, one of the frustrations is that Anywhere Access can be enabled only when connected to the router on the local LAN.

Message 17 of 78
tws46
Initiate

Thanks for your quick response. The first thing I did was check for a firmware update…I was up to date. Checked again this morning…no new update. Rebooted the Orbi a couple times. Deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone. Firmware 2.7.4.24 on the RBR50. Was jesting about router hunting…that may come after a factory reset and reinstall.
Message 18 of 78
StevenOrbi
Tutor

Can confirm Anywhere Access cannot be enabled on v2.21.1.35 on IOS 15.7.1

There does not seem to be a way to do it when logged into the router through a LAN connected PC using a web browser.

Come on NetGear.  Do you test these app updates?

Message 19 of 78
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 20 of 78
CrimpOn
Guru

@StevenOrbi wrote:

There does not seem to be a way to do it when logged into the router through a LAN connected PC using a web browser.

This is correct.  Anywhere Access can be enabled/disabled only using the Orbi 'app'.  Not only that, but Anywhere Access applies to the specific device running the Orbi app. A customer could have multiple devices:

• Some of which have Anywhere Access enabled and can reach the Orbi from other locations.
  • Some of which do not have Anywhere Access enabled and if removed from the Orbi LAN cannot access the Orbi through Netgear's "cloud".

Message 21 of 78
Bayamon62
Guide

Remote access not working on mine either I get a "something went wrong, try again "
I have deleted the app and reinstall, that did nothing , I don't know I want to do a factory reset , the way this device and app have been working it may never work again ! Terrible ...when I buy a new mesh it won't be orbi.....I would attach a picture, but that doesn't work either!
App running on Samsung S21 plus.
Message 22 of 78
Drew212
Guide

Getting armor to recognize the system isn't that easy especially when the anywhere access app is having issues, I don't want to have to do that unless it's a last resort since everything's still working except Anywhere Access
Message 23 of 78
Drew212
Guide

Yes there was a recent firmware update I have the same problem:-(
Message 24 of 78
coonstz
Aspirant

Same
Message 25 of 78
Top Contributors