SeclusionBay
Tutor

Re: Orbi App Anywhere Access not working

Never fixed.
Message 51 of 78
fondoo
Tutor

I have the same problem with my RBK853. So what was the fix y'all??

Message 52 of 78
RobertTLax
Tutor

I found that by deleting my Access Anywhere config for both of my routers on the website, and then setting up Access Anywhere again on both routers, mine started working again. Hope I don’t jinx myself by saying this.
Message 53 of 78
fondoo
Tutor

can you explain to me how to delete the access anywhere config on the web interface of the router??

Message 54 of 78
RobertTLax
Tutor

In my account on the Netgear website, not the router itself.
Message 55 of 78
Greene10
Apprentice

My 960 series just stated working one day. No firmware update or app update.

Message 56 of 78
FURRYe38
Guru

Where about's on the NG web site would you delete this information? 

@RobertTLax wrote:
In my account on the Netgear website, not the router itself.

Message 57 of 78
fondoo
Tutor

So I enabled VPN access on the RBK853 and installed OpenVPN app on my iphone. I am connected on the VPN, why can't I access the Orbi Anywhere Access now? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Message 58 of 78
FURRYe38
Guru

Does AA work with VPN disabled? VPN may not support the data path that AA needs when using it in a on VPN connection. 

Message 59 of 78
fondoo
Tutor

you would think connected to the VPN with Netgears OpenVPN access it would make AA as a local access.

its possible that the VPN is on a seperate VLAN. 

Message 60 of 78
CrimpOn
Guru

@fondoo wrote:

So I enabled VPN access on the RBK853 and installed OpenVPN app on my iphone. I am connected on the VPN, why can't I access the Orbi Anywhere Access now? It makes no sense whatsoever.

It would be helpful to know if the VPN feature is configured to allow access to the internet. (see page 120 of the user manual):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw 

CrimpOn_0-1678129187497.png

Page 122 of the user manual has this comment:

CrimpOn_1-1678129369849.png

The reason for this question is a hypothesis that when VPN is activated on a device (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.) one might expect that all data connections will go through the VPN tunnel.  Say I'm sitting at Starbucks, connected to their WiFi, and activate the VPN.  Does it know, "I want connections to my bank to go through the VPN, but connections to Macy's to bypass the VPN?  Maybe for Netflix -- oh, hell, you pick VPN or not VPN? - - I think users assume that everything they do while sitting at Starbucks connected to their VPN is shielded from the Starbucks network.

The iPhone has no idea that this particular VPN host is at your house.  For all the iPhone knows, you could be using NordVPN, ExpressVPN, or any VPN.

Message 61 of 78
RobertTLax
Tutor

Well, I can’t seem to find it anymore. I see that profiles can be deleted on the app, assuming they can be seen. My problem was that I couldn’t see my profiles on the app - every time I tried to access I got a message that an error occurred. I found a place on Netgear‘s website where I could see the profiles and deleted them, and then set them up again on the app. Everything worked after that. I can’t seem to find where on the site I saw the profiles before.
Message 62 of 78
fondoo
Tutor

for the love of god. Why is there no Anywhere access enable/disable on the Orbi web interface 192.168.1.1????

Message 63 of 78
fondoo
Tutor

I have successfully unregistered my Orbi serial number and registered it under my own email now. STILL can not get Anywhere Access to work. Why is it this challenging??? Netgear really wants my $$$$ for support contract

Message 64 of 78
CrimpOn
Guru

@fondoo wrote:

for the love of god. Why is there no Anywhere access enable/disable on the Orbi web interface 192.168.1.1????

An interesting question.  My hypothesis is that it is a security provision. As things stand, Anywhere Access can be enabled only when a mobile device (smartphone, tablet) is directly connected to the Orbi LAN.  This verifies:

• That the device has physical access to the property, plus
  • That the person using the Orbi app knows the login credentials.

If Anywhere Access could be enabled remotely, then someone who knows your login credentials could install the Orbi app on their own mobile device, turn on Anywhere Access, and then proceed to wreak havoc on your system.  Devices being 'paused'. Armor/Parental controls fiddled with. etc. etc.

I think you have a valid point: If someone (a) steals my mobile device and (b) can open the app then they can do bad things on a device that has previously had Anywhere Access enabled.  There should be a mechanism to block Anywhere Access from the router web interface.  That is probably the point of providing 2-Factor authentication for the Orbi app.(Which opens up an entirely different can of worms if one can believe some of the posts on the forum.)

Message 65 of 78
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure all Wi-Fi Private IP Address or MAC Address Randomization is disable on mobile devices:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Might try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch first with a Wired PC and web browser. Then see if Orbi app and AA work. 

If it still fails, submit a bug report:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

Orbi app and AA is working on my 7 and 8 series systems. 

@fondoo wrote:

I have successfully unregistered my Orbi serial number and registered it under my own email now. STILL can not get Anywhere Access to work. Why is it this challenging??? Netgear really wants my $$$$ for support contract

Message 66 of 78
fondoo
Tutor

im very disappointed with netgear support. i've sent multiple emails with no responses. i am over the support warranty and now have to buy a support contract just to get this crap working again. 

Message 67 of 78
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you submit a bug report thru the app as suggested? 

Also did you remove the app, reboot the device, then reinstall the app? 

Message 68 of 78
fondoo
Tutor

I've done everything in the blue moon! they just want me to pay for support, which im willing to do so. 

Message 69 of 78
FURRYe38
Guru

Give NG some time. Check back. Might be solved in next app update. 

Message 70 of 78
fondoo
Tutor

i got the anywhere access working again after updating the firmware to the latest version 7.2.6.21 here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-...

Message 71 of 78
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@JScharps wrote:

Can’t enable the Anywhere Access in the Orbi App.  Every time I try, I get the message “Something went wrong, sorry about this.  Please try again”.  

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Message 72 of 78
fondoo
Tutor

what firmware version are you running on the your RBR850 and RBS850?

Message 73 of 78
FURRYe38
Guru

Me or JSharps? 

Message 74 of 78
Drew212
Guide

RBR850 W/ 3 SAT's ; )
Message 75 of 78
Top Contributors