Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi App Requesting Superuser Access???

therealflame
Aspirant

Orbi App Requesting Superuser Access???

Has anyone elses Orbi App on Android started requesting Superuser access? I have had Orbi and the Orbi app for close to a year now and I have never seen it do this before. I have a Superuser monitoring app on my phone called Magisk Manager it is telling me Orbi is denied Superuser acces ever few seconds.

Just wondering if the app was compromised somehow or maybe even my phone somehow.

I have app verson 2.2.4. 397
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Orbi App Requesting Superuser Access???

Discussed before. Android does out of the box not know anything like a Superuser - the problem does occur on rooted devices (with the Orbi App, Nighthawk App, and the Genie App) only. Unclear if/what they access (typically off the normal Android App access rights) what is triggering the Superuser notification. 

Here a reply provided by Netgear on Google Play - Netgear Orbi - All Reviews in the comments as a reply to similar user comments:

"The app itself does not require root access, nor does it try to invoke any root command; however it does perform a security check and unfortunately this appears to be the cause of the request. We are currently working on resolving this issue. Thank you for your patience!"

Message 2 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @therealflame

I have passed this information onto our engineering team and will provide an update as soon as possible. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R wrote:

I have passed this information onto our engineering team and will provide an update as soon as possible.  

Thank you Christian ... based on the feedback we have got on the Genie App, the Orbi App, and the Nighthawk App in tge Play Store (sharing some code obviously) the issue is known for at least one month, so a solution should not be to far away.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7