Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi App Speed Slower Than Ookla Standalone Speed

MarcF_NY
Aspirant

Orbi App Speed Slower Than Ookla Standalone Speed

I've seen a few posts about speeds but I haven't found one specific to my concern. So here goes.

I have Spectrum and have 200 Mbps download. When I test the speed of my network through the Orbi app, the result is 48Mbps download. When I test the speed of my network thorugh the standalone Ookla speedtest app it indicates my download speed of 200 Mbps (+/- depending on the test). Why does the Orbi app show a much slower speed than my actual internet speed?

Thanks in advance for any direction.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi App Speed Slower Than Ookla Standalone Speed

The orbi app is hosted on the router. But sadly, it rarely chooses the best test server. Its even worse at speeds >500mbps. 

So if the server its choosing, is slow/bad, then your speeds show slow. 

The ookla app lets you choose/change servers to test different test servers. Plus its built in default tends to choose better servers. 

If you're hitting your full speeds using the ookla app, that's what I'd trust. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The orbi app is hosted on the router. But sadly, it rarely chooses the best test server. Its even worse at speeds >500mbps. 

So if the server its choosing, is slow/bad, then your speeds show slow. 

The ookla app lets you choose/change servers to test different test servers. Plus its built in default tends to choose better servers. 

If you're hitting your full speeds using the ookla app, that's what I'd trust. 

Message 2 of 3
MarcF_NY
Aspirant

I thought as much, but since the speeds with the Orbi app and the standalone Ookla app were nearly identical originally I couldn't come up with a reason. Thanks for the help and direction.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7