Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi App: cannot enable Anywhere Access

PedroA
Follower

Orbi App: cannot enable Anywhere Access

I have a Netgear Orbi system (RBR50) with 3 satellites. Router Firmware Version = V2.5.1.16

If using the Netgear Orbi app (latest version 2.6.2.1239) on Android (v10), and I go to - Settings / Anywhere Access and then toggle the "Enable Anywhere Access" toggle slider to the right, the following happens:

The "Enable Anywhere Access" toggle slider moves to the right and goes green.

The screen says

"Please Wait..."

"Anywhere Access Enabled".

Then it returns to the same "Anywhere Access" screen, but the toggle slider has gone back to the left and is no longer green. See the attached phone screenshot.

If I try again, the same happens. I thus cannot "Enable Anywhere Access" using the app.

If I disconnect from my network (so that I am on a phone network) and open the Orbi app, and select "Connect via Anywhere Access", I get a screen with heading "Your Products" and then the text "No devices available. To remotely manage a NETGEAR router, enable the feature by connecting your router's WiFi, and the going to Menu > Settings >Anywhere Access within the app."

If on my WiFi, I log into the RBR50 via a browser, and go to Advanced Setup / Remote Management, "Turn Remote Management On" is off. I understand from other posts that for some reason, this setting and the app setting are different. The app setting is for app remote access, and the browser setting is for remote browser access. I want the app setting to work.

Can anyone solve this? Why can I not enable "Anywhere Access"? Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app
Good Luck.

Message 2 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@PedroA wrote:

If on my WiFi, I log into the RBR50 via a browser, and go to Advanced Setup / Remote Management, "Turn Remote Management On" is off. I understand from other posts that for some reason, this setting and the app setting are different. The app setting is for app remote access, and the browser setting is for remote browser access. I want the app setting to work.

You are correct.  There are three method to access an Orbi router remotely:

• The Orbi "app" Anywhere Access method, which appears to be failing to "take".
    Few of us on this forum have much experience with the Orbi "app" (I find it worthless.)
    So, you are much more likely to find someone who can help if you post in the Orbi App forum:
    https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app 
  • The Orbi web interface Remote Access.  This opens a port for the Orbi web server to listen for connections from the internet.
    I enabled this for a test and it works perfectly.  The issue I had is that once the port is opened, internet trolls all across the world stumble on it and begin trying to log in.  With my 30 character password, it will take them about 4 billion years  to eventually crack it, but every attempt gets added to the Orbi log file and I didn't like seeing them.  (Annoying)  So I turned it off.
  • OpenVPN.  This creates an OpenVPN "host".  I can then use OpenVPN "client" software on a laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc. to get into the Orbi router when away from home.  This has two benefits: (1) the entire pathway from (airport, coffee shop, hotel, mom's house) is encrypted, and (2) I can also access any device on the Orbi LAN.  This is the method I stuck with.

Sometimes it helps to restart the Orbi router, close the Orbi app, and start over.  Or, somebody on the app forum may have a suggestion.

Good Luck

Message 3 of 21
Sabbsol
Tutor

Same problem here, can't get the enable remote access to stay enabled on latest firmware 2.7.0.70

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 21
Yummyutoo
Initiate

Can not enable “anywhere access” say’s something went wrong?
Message 5 of 21
skraps56
Tutor

Same issue. It's been months now. RBR750 running firmware V4.6.8.2 can't use Anywhere Access. Netgear please fix.
Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Has to be enabled using the Orbi app under Settings. It's enabled by default. 

@skraps56 wrote:
Same issue. It's been months now. RBR750 running firmware V4.6.8.2 can't use Anywhere Access. Netgear please fix.

Message 7 of 21
skraps56
Tutor

Well aware of that process. Same resulting message for months. Resulting message reads...
"Some error occurred while
enabling/disabling Anywhere Access"
Config = RBR750 with 3 satellites firmware V4.6.8.2.

What next?
Message 8 of 21
skraps56
Tutor

Any update to my issue? 

Message 9 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

The original post from Sept of 2020 regarding the original Orbi is not relevant to the issue many customers have with their 750 and 850 systems.

When the 750 and 850 products product firmware was automatically updated in May, "something went horribly wrong" (to put it mildly) and customers lost (a) the ability to access the web interface and (b) Anywhere Access through the Orbi app.

There have been hundreds of posts regarding the issue. There appear to be two possible solutions:

• Perform a factory reset and reconfigure the system. This results in correct operation, but can be a lot of effort.
  • Wait for Netgear to (eventually) push out a fix that restores access. This has happened for many customers.
    For several weeks, people were sending a private message to @ChristineT (by clicking on the link and then selecting Send Private Message). They provided their serial number and Netgear would 'push' an update to their systems.
    Alas, it appears that for some customers, the Netgear 'push' never worked, and the factory reset is their only option.
Message 10 of 21
Ferrellt
Star

Anywhere access will not enable. Get an error that something went wrong. Omg fix this please.
Message 11 of 21
Greene10
Apprentice

I have a new two weeks old 960 series that I can not enable Anywhere Access. I have updated to the latest firmware and updated the app. The latest firmware was released a few weeks ago and the app a couple of days ago. This has been on going and there is nothing left to be done. PLEASE FIX THE APP.

Message 12 of 21

@Greene10 wrote:

I have a new two weeks old 960 series that I can not enable Anywhere Access. I have updated to the latest firmware and updated the app. The latest firmware was released a few weeks ago and the app a couple of days ago. This has been on going and there is nothing left to be done. PLEASE FIX THE APP.

You have joined in on an old discussion that started a while back (2020-09-09) and has moved on since then.

It might be worth reading this:

Can't logon to Orbi - "Logon timed out, please try... - NETGEAR Communities

It may be related to the issue you describe. Anywhere Access relied on the app to work.

If not, maybe add some more details. It doesn't seem to be related to firmware. If it is, roll back to an earlier version and see if that fixes it. Or wait for a new app to land.

Message 13 of 21
Ferrellt
Star

It’s clearly a problem in the app and the mechanism Netgear uses to identify client devices. I’d say it’s linked iPhone private IP addressing feature but Android folks seem to have this problem also. Seems to be a rather fragile design.
Message 14 of 21
Greene10
Apprentice

I did receive a call back from Level 2 support. I was not at home but are supposed to call back on Friday. They said something about looking at the logs and maybe do a “workaround “.
Message 15 of 21
Greene10
Apprentice

If it's not fixed when level 2 calls me back I'm ditching the 960. This is at a second home and I need anywhere access while I'm away.

Message 16 of 21

@Ferrellt wrote:
II’d say it’s linked iPhone private IP addressing feature but Android folks seem to have this problem also.

I gather that Samsung does that too on newer models.

Message 17 of 21
Ferrellt
Star

If it’s any consolation I finally dove in and set up the VPN service on the router and it works like a charm. You get the same native web interface on the Orbi as if you were on your Orbi network, but from anywhere in the world.
Message 18 of 21
Ferrellt
Star

There does seem to be this appalling lack of urgency on this issue from Netgear. I don’t know how they can continue this without word spreading that remote management is broken and they start to loose market share to vendors whose remote access solution does work.
Message 19 of 21
Ferrellt
Star

If L2 does solve this problem for you please share the solution. You’ll be a folk hero! Thanks
Message 20 of 21
Greene10
Apprentice

Thanks, I am going to try again when I get back on the local network. I will report back on the results.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7