Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi App completely not working

MasakiKoi
Star

Re: Orbi App completely not working

I spoke to Netgear.  They are aware of the issue.  They recommend a factory reset which I do NOT want to do.  A software update is in the works.  Emergency red flag priority ticket has been open and escalated.  Netgear initiated an automatic software update all across the board.  This caused the issue.  Netgear why didn't you all tested in the lab prior to deploying the software?? Netgear/Engineering team if you are reading this PLEASE have a toggle button option (on/off) on the GUI so that those that don't want the update can turn it off.  Let's get the ball rolling and fix this ASAP!!

Message 76 of 114
Rmalibu
Star

Any time frame on the software update? And even when available is a factory reset still needed
Message 77 of 114
Mitchcougar
Guide

FIXED. So I but the bullet, factory reset using the back pinhole. Then, I set it up in the Orbi ap, did not need wired connection. It wasn’t a total pain to do, just frustrating
Message 78 of 114
richsadams
Star

Good to hear. Which model do you have?

Before it all went haywire, the app noted a firmware update was available. Of course it couldn't update since all connections to the router were refused. (Plus according to Netgear's website the satellites should be updated before updating the router.) I'm not sure what the current version on ours is now, but according to Netgear the latest firmware version for our RBR750 is 4.6.8.2. Wondering if that's the same for yours.

Here's Netgear's listing of all of the Orbis. Clicking on the model takes you to the page with specs and links to software and firmware updates.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx

The release notes say that it "Fixes the orbilogin.net access issue when DoH (DNS over HTTPS) is enabled". Not sure if that's related to our issue(s) or not though.

Thanks for reporting back. That's always very valuable. 👍

TIA.

Message 79 of 114
Mitchcougar
Guide

FIXED. Factory reset router, then I was able to set everything back up using Orbi iPhone app. So far so good.
Message 80 of 114
Mitchcougar
Guide

Rbr850 with satellite
Message 81 of 114
richsadams
Star

Thanks @Mitchcougar. 👌

According to Orbi the latest firmware for your RBR850 is the same, 4.6.8.2. Curious to know if that's the version yours is on now and if that's the real solution.

Message 82 of 114
Mitchcougar
Guide

Good questions. I’m on 4.6.8.2. Honestly, I don’t the firmware when all this started, only what I have currently.
Message 83 of 114
richsadams
Star

Understood. I've no idea what firmware ours was on when things went south either. I should have taken some screenshots but I didn't expect to totally lose my connection to the router. The release notes show 4.6.8.2 was issued 27 April 2022.

Perhaps others will chime in if/when they can see what firmware version they're on.

Thanks again... it gives one hope! 

Message 84 of 114
Jamaldnb
Guide

I had some 3.?.?.? Version new out of the box. It wouldn’t update and had issues during the setup. I had to factory reset it 5 times and go through the process without recreating my previous network because it was having issues finalizing. Spent 2 hours on with tech support and finally got it up and running after setting it up with the generic network it comes with. Then using a laptop via Orbi login.com and changed the name and password to the previous and it worked. Then the next day I lost access completely to the system via any login method. My internet still works and support says it’s a known issue. The prospect of factory resetting for the 7th time is not in the cards. Fix up your software net gear… anyone have any luck yet? I’ve not owned this system for 2 days and my previous setup just bricked out of know where… sneaky suspicion it was the firmware update that did it… but net gear wasn’t willing to help replace my unit since they have 1 year hrdwr warranty.
Message 85 of 114
richsadams
Star

@Jamaldnb, very frustrating for sure. Hang in there.

Just for the record, what model do you have?

Message 86 of 114
Rmalibu
Star

my question to all is  has the new software fix from netgear up?  is the firmware 4.6.8.2 the new one after the problem we all have been having with app not connecting to router even though wifi working?   And if so then from what i am reading from everyone is that a factory reset is needed and also once that is done if the firmware is not the 4.6.8.2 then one should update the satellites first then the router  is that correct 

I am not wanting to factory reset till i can be told that netgear has resolved the problem   thanks for any input

Message 87 of 114
Jamaldnb
Guide

RB752 (2 pack; router and satellite)
Message 88 of 114
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rmalibu wrote:

my question to all is  has the new software fix from netgear up?  is the firmware 4.6.8.2 the new one after the problem we all have been having with app not connecting to router even though wifi working?   And if so then from what i am reading from everyone is that a factory reset is needed and also once that is done if the firmware is not the 4.6.8.2 then one should update the satellites first then the router  is that correct 

No. New firmware has yet to be released.  What customers are reporting is that a factory reset and configuration eliminates the access problem from Orbi app and web browser.  Something is "different" between that automatic update process and a factory reset. Customers who really, seriously need access now have only one choice: the factory reset.  Customers who are merely annoyed at the lack of access but who can "live without it" have the option of waiting to see what Netgear does.

Message 89 of 114
Rmalibu
Star

But for those who have factory reset and app to router problem solved but for how long? I set up my 850 with 2 satellites and all was well for a few days then the app won’t connect to router. Won’t just doing a factory reset be revisiting the same problem in a few days?
Message 90 of 114
dckiwi
Guide

I wonder if factory reset installs an old firmware, which works until it auto-updates to the latest one which has this problem.
Message 91 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

The reset has resolved the web access problem and has lasted pasted a few days. Seen no others posting that they lost access again after the reset. 

Also, to help with setting system back to ready as quickly as possible, users need to do a backup configuration to file once there systems are setup. https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Have this on had will help aleaviate setup time should resets be needed in the future though we all hope that won't happen again or too often. 

@Rmalibu wrote:
But for those who have factory reset and app to router problem solved but for how long? I set up my 850 with 2 satellites and all was well for a few days then the app won’t connect to router. Won’t just doing a factory reset be revisiting the same problem in a few days?

Message 92 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

Resets DO NOT install FW or revert FW versions. Resets only clear out the memory and user configurations. 

Have a back up configuration file on hand to help avoid setup times after a reset:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@dckiwi wrote:
I wonder if factory reset installs an old firmware, which works until it auto-updates to the latest one which has this problem.

Message 93 of 114
Rmalibu
Star

Since your factory reset have things remained stable with app communicating with router?

and did you do a firmware update or just left that alone

thanks

Message 94 of 114
LJL60
Initiate

Re: No longer able to connect to router via IP address in browser or Orbi app

Yes the reset resolves the problem

Message 95 of 114
Jamaldnb
Guide

Any update from anyone at Netgear? Still don’t have access via the app or login via web. I’m counting down the days to return this product.
Message 96 of 114
plemans
Guru

@Jamaldnb there is a notice at the top of the page and a link to the status page for issue updates. 

NETGEAR

Message 97 of 114
Jamaldnb
Guide

Okay, so just hold tight? I’ve factory reset this thing 7 times already during the setup so I am not going that route this time. I hope they can resolve the app control. I guess I should be happy that my internet is still working.
Message 98 of 114
Rmalibu
Star

support sent me an email that they sent out to my router a fix   just had to power down router for 5 min and power up and wait 5 more min and all came back fine   App and orbilogin.com working   asked about firmware update  but so far has not responded  so until get info back on that will not upgrade firmware 

Message 99 of 114
surround
Star

Re: Can’t find router

Having the same problem with the exact same router RBR750
Message 100 of 114
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7