Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi App crashing

Savasral
Tutor

Orbi App crashing

Since couple of weeks my orbi app on android phone crashes everytime I try to login. It simnply freezes and the app crashes, I have tried re-installing the app, reset my router to factory settings, but nothing seems to help. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 62
dmgr157
Initiate

Same issue here!

Message 2 of 62
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Savasral & dmgr157,

May you provide the following info for us to check further.

Orbi Model:

Orbi Firmware Version:

Orbi App Version: (please also specify if it's iOS or Android)

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 3 of 62
Savasral
Tutor

Orbi Model: RBR50

Orbi Firmware Version: V2.7.2.104

Orbi App Version: (please also specify if it's iOS or Android): Android app version 2.8.6.1417

Message 4 of 62
MrSqueakers
Guide

I am having the same issue, app crashes sometimes on launch, other times works with no issues, mostly just hangs and not responsive. Android Orbi app v2.8.6.1417, Samsung Galaxy S9+, RBR50 running v2.7.2.104.
Message 5 of 62
dmgr157
Initiate

So after uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my phone another 2 times, it seems to be working fine now.
Message 6 of 62
DarcyBlessing
Aspirant

Did you ever get an answer? I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. No issue's with internet just with app

Message 7 of 62
Ken2122
Tutor

I have a Samsung S9 phone (Android 10). I have an Orbi RBR50 (v. 2.3.5.30). The Orbi app keeps crashing. At one point, it seemed to have worked but while navigating different menus, the password login prompt keeps reappearing, then crashes.
Message 8 of 62
Savasral
Tutor

Unfortunately couldnt figure it out - so I moved to my trusty little ASUS router and changed the Orbi's into AP mode. That way I am able to control my network through the ASUS UI - which by the way has all the options including parental controls free of cost - which is otherwise a subscription on Orbi... the 100 odd $ ASUS unit does it all for me

Message 9 of 62
billcurrier
Tutor

Orbi, why haven't you responded to this problem?  It is appears to be an issue with the app and is clearly happening to multiple people. 

Message 10 of 62
PECAMPO70
Initiate

ORBI - Netgear, I have the same issue. The ORBI app locks up my phone and I can not access my ORBI device. Where is teh tech support here in a clear common problem????

Message 11 of 62
Aaron_Remy
Initiate

How is this a solution? The problem is with the app. The reason for the app is so we dont have to go to a computer to check on things.
Message 12 of 62
mayecho
Tutor

Same issue on my Note9. Orbi app crashes. Have to uninstall and reinstall, then it only works once and crashes again. Have to repeat the process because I monitor several orbi setups over multiple network. Netgear needs to fix this yesterday. High priority.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 13 of 62
Sparky1984
Aspirant

Samsung Note 9. FAIL.
Message 14 of 62
Aspirant

Orbi app crashes.  I can access Orbi online settings and manage my network from there, but not from the app.  Firmware V2.7.3.22. Galaxy S7.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different device to see if app crashes? 
Remove and re-install the app on your S7? 

@58038 wrote:

Orbi app crashes.  I can access Orbi online settings and manage my network from there, but not from the app.  Firmware V2.7.3.22. Galaxy S7.

Message 16 of 62
Aspirant

App works on wife's S7, but crashes on mine.  Uninstall, restart phone, reinstall, clear cache, clear data... still crashes.  Sounds like a problem with my phone, any ideas to fix?  Otherwise, I'll just use her phone when I want to check the network.  Thanks.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

No ideas. Ya, sounds like a specific problem with your phone and app issue. You can try this last a last resort. Back up the phone fully. Once thats done, factory reset the phone. Get it setup with some basic stuff first, don't re-load it from the backup just yet. Go in and install Orbi app and see if it loads wtih out crashing. If it does, then something that NG and Samsung should work on. Smiley Embarassed

Message 18 of 62
turbodriller44
Initiate

I'm having the same problem.  The app worked fine on my S7 when I bought the Orbi RBK13 several months ago.  I took the mesh down while back, and I decided last night to add it back to my home network.  The app crashed when I opened it.  I tried it again.  I've unstalled it and installed it a few times.  Half the time it crashes immediately.  The other half I can only get to the point of it wanting to know my location.  Crash.  

Do they not have a way to configure the Orbi router WITHOUT the worthless app???

Message 19 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Others said one S7 worked with Orbi app, the other didn't. As mentioned for the other user:

You can try this last a last resort. Back up the phone fully. Once thats done, factory reset the phone. Get it setup with some basic stuff first, don't re-load it from the backup just yet. Go in and install Orbi app and see if it loads wtih out crashing. If it does, then something that NG and Samsung should work on.

@turbodriller44 wrote:

I'm having the same problem.  The app worked fine on my S7 when I bought the Orbi RBK13 several months ago.  I took the mesh down while back, and I decided last night to add it back to my home network.  The app crashed when I opened it.  I tried it again.  I've unstalled it and installed it a few times.  Half the time it crashes immediately.  The other half I can only get to the point of it wanting to know my location.  Crash.  

Do they not have a way to configure the Orbi router WITHOUT the worthless app???

Message 20 of 62
MrSqueakers
Guide

I have found the iOS app works nearly flawlessly, this issue persists on Android on my S9+. I have found more success when I let the app fully load all graphical elements before trying to touch the screen at all. Hit or miss on whether it will work when I open it or freeze up completely. Seems random, no real way to fix it, force stop and try again is the only solution I have found.
Message 21 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Others said one S7 worked with Orbi app, the other didn't. As mentioned for the other user:

You can try this last a last resort. Back up the phone fully. Once thats done, factory reset the phone. Get it setup with some basic stuff first, don't re-load it from the backup just yet. Go in and install Orbi app and see if it loads wtih out crashing. If it does, then something that NG and Samsung should work on.

@MrSqueakers wrote:
I have found the iOS app works nearly flawlessly, this issue persists on Android on my S9+. I have found more success when I let the app fully load all graphical elements before trying to touch the screen at all. Hit or miss on whether it will work when I open it or freeze up completely. Seems random, no real way to fix it, force stop and try again is the only solution I have found.

Message 22 of 62
Savasral
Tutor

Its appalling that the company has chosen to keep quiet while so many folks out there are having this same issue. If the app was built with IoS in mind, then thats okay - atleast they should advertize it that way so that while we spend $400 for the unit, all of us android users may as well spend another $800 to get an iphone !!

Message 23 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you not contact the forum moderator about this? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-App-crashing/m-p/2077876/highlight/true#M3091

@Savasral wrote:

Its appalling that the company has chosen to keep quiet while so many folks out there are having this same issue. If the app was built with IoS in mind, then thats okay - atleast they should advertize it that way so that while we spend $400 for the unit, all of us android users may as well spend another $800 to get an iphone !!

Message 24 of 62
billcurrier
Tutor

I am dismayed that Netgear has not responded to this issue in a meaningful way.  It's been months since it was reported and it is clearly affecting quite a few people.  This is not an Android problem, or a problem with a specfic model of smartphone.  This is a Orbi software problem that Netgear has chosen to ignore.  I spent good money for this product and it is not working properly.  Netgear has had plenty of time to fix this issue.  I will not be buying or recommending Netgear in the future.

Message 25 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7