Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi App crashing

redwhiner
Initiate

They need to fix the app. I'm about ready to trash the system for something else.
Message 26 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you not contact the forum moderator about this? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-App-crashing/m-p/2077876/highlight/true#M3091

Others said one S7 worked with Orbi app, the other didn't. As mentioned for the other user:

You can try this last a last resort. Back up the phone fully. Once thats done, factory reset the phone. Get it setup with some basic stuff first, don't re-load it from the backup just yet. Go in and install Orbi app and see if it loads wtih out crashing. If it does, then something that NG and Samsung should work on.

@redwhiner wrote:
They need to fix the app. I'm about ready to trash the system for something else.

Message 27 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you not contact the forum moderator about this? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-App-crashing/m-p/2077876/highlight/true#M3091

Others said one S7 worked with Orbi app, the other didn't. As mentioned for the other user:

You can try this last a last resort. Back up the phone fully. Once thats done, factory reset the phone. Get it setup with some basic stuff first, don't re-load it from the backup just yet. Go in and install Orbi app and see if it loads wtih out crashing. If it does, then something that NG and Samsung should work on.

@billcurrier wrote:

I am dismayed that Netgear has not responded to this issue in a meaningful way.  It's been months since it was reported and it is clearly affecting quite a few people.  This is not an Android problem, or a problem with a specfic model of smartphone.  This is a Orbi software problem that Netgear has chosen to ignore.  I spent good money for this product and it is not working properly.  Netgear has had plenty of time to fix this issue.  I will not be buying or recommending Netgear in the future.

Message 28 of 62
mayecho
Tutor

The new update for Android seems to have fixed the problem. Released yesterday 8/3/21 - So far so good. If you haven't already, get on it.

Message 29 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. 

@mayecho wrote:

The new update for Android seems to have fixed the problem. Released yesterday 8/3/21 - So far so good. If you haven't already, get on it.

Message 30 of 62
billcurrier
Tutor

Where is the latest Android version?  I checked the app store and it is still showing the version from July 25.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

What android device do you have? I have a Galaxy Tab S2 and not seeing anything since July as well. 

@billcurrier wrote:

Where is the latest Android version?  I checked the app store and it is still showing the version from July 25.

Message 33 of 62
ButterflyWisper
Aspirant

Same issue , I can finally log in online but the phone app is useless, crashes when trying to log in (Samsung Galaxy S7)

Message 34 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Esure the app is up to date. Un-install then re-install it. 

You can try this last a last resort. Back up the phone fully. Once thats done, factory reset the phone. Get it setup with some basic stuff first, don't re-load it from the backup just yet. Go in and install Orbi app and see if it loads wtih out crashing. If it does, then you'll need to contact NG support.

@ButterflyWisper wrote:

Same issue , I can finally log in online but the phone app is useless, crashes when trying to log in (Samsung Galaxy S7)

Message 35 of 62

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Esure the app is up to date. Un-install then re-install it. 

Achieves  nothing here.

Uninstall, clear data in Android app, reinstall.

Still crashes.

Message 36 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Something NG and Samsung need to work on. 

One can try this last a last resort. Back up the phone fully. Once thats done, factory reset the phone. Get it setup with some basic stuff first, don't re-load it from the backup just yet. Go in and install Orbi app and see if it loads wtih out crashing. If it does, then you'll need to contact NG support.

Message 37 of 62
GuyInDFW
Aspirant

On Orbi device App Ver 2.11.0.1661 Firm v2.7.3.22.

Samsung 7edge App Version 2.11.0.1661 Updated Aug 16 2021

The app is requesting permission to Camera, Contacts, Location, Microphone, Phone, Storage, Other ie Flashlight, run startup, view network connections, netgear cloud, prevent phone from sleep, wifi connect, finger print, data, multicast etc.

I called support.  They had me update tthe ORBI firmware.

The app works on my Samsung Tablet SM-T818T AndVer 7.0 Knox Ver 2.7.1

Customer Suppor states there is a New Phone version comingout in 5 days, as Netgear is aware of the issue.

Now we wait.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 38 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hope it helps to fix this. 

Message 39 of 62
hojni
Aspirant

My Android Orbi app keeps stopping or failing to connect too.

Orbi Model................................ RBR750

Orbi Firmware Version.......... V4.6.3.7_2.0.49

Orbi App.................................... Android v2.11.0.1661

Message 40 of 62

@hojni wrote:

My Android Orbi app keeps stopping or failing to connect too.

Orbi Model................................ RBR750

Orbi Firmware Version.......... V4.6.3.7_2.0.49

Orbi App.................................... Android v2.11.0.1661

Which Android device is this?

I have two, one (Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017), Android 8.0.0) crashes, the other (Huawei, Mediapad M5, Android 9.0) one doesn't.

Same behaviour with Nighthawk and Orbi apps.

Message 41 of 62
madfishmuso
Aspirant

Product Model: RBR50v2

Firmware Version V2.7.3.22
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.375

Same Issues for me - Samsung S8 - Android Version 8.0.0

App Version : Last Updated 16 Aug 2021 - which is about when the problem started.

Keeps crashing.  Tried uninstall, re-install.

Have put feedback in the Android Store too and emailed netgearteam@netgear.com

Cheers

Message 42 of 62
bakersfroon
Aspirant

Reinstall and do not give location permission!

Message 43 of 62
GuyInDFW
Aspirant

Factory Reseting my phone is the solution.

Orbi has made an agreement to support their device.

If netgear can not support their application, then I will request a refund.

Message 44 of 62
GuyInDFW
Aspirant

This is not a fix.  

Message 45 of 62
CrimpOn
Guru

@GuyInDFW wrote:

This is not a fix.  

I am confused.  "This is not a fix":

• Because message #44 was incorrect.  Resetting the phone appeared to solve the problem, but did not?
  • Because people should not have to reset their phones to get an app to work?
Message 46 of 62
GuyInDFW
Aspirant

To ask the user to perform a factory reset of thier device "phone" which works great with all other apps, is not a FIX.

The ORBI app should have been tested to ensure it worked across the board

NOT simply toss in the pond and fix the ripples.

What is the solution?

I have uninstalled the last version NO Luck

I have unistalled this version and still NO Luck.

But your solution is to blame the user device pass the fault.

If you do not have a true solution, simply admit and move on.  

We are not all super man.

Have a nice day

Message 47 of 62
GuyInDFW
Aspirant

You state a "last resort" (factory reset phone)

What are the prior resorts?

The provided link simply goes to the last resort.

Message 48 of 62
CrimpOn
Guru

I remain confused about messages #44 and #45.

#44: "Factory Reseting my phone is the solution."

#45: "This is not a fix. "

Did the Orbi app work after resetting the phone or not?

Netgear's community forums are a convenient web place for customers to discuss Netgear products, including posting about problems they are having so that other customers can comment (confirm that they have the same problem and could not solve it. describe a solution that has worked for them. propose ways to troubleshoot the problem. etc.)  In almost five years, I have never seen a post by any person claiming to be a Netgear support or engineering employee.  Other manufacturers may assign employees to monitor forums and respond to questions, but it appears that Netgear does not.

In the absence of guidance from Netgear, we customers offer eac other ways to get past the issue, often describing what other users have posted. I, myself, do not have an AX Orbi, so anything I would post would be hearsay.

I agree 100% that customers should not have to find ways to get a product to function as it should.  But, what's the alternative? We cannot get the Netgear corporate structure to be more responsive or more agile.

My own solution to "the app doesn't work" would be, "Quit using the stupid app. Use the web browser interface."

Message 49 of 62
MrSqueakers
Guide

Not using the app would be a great solution...if you were able to modify parental controls from the web gui...which you cannot unless it was recently added and I missed it.
Message 50 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7