Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi App defaults to Anywhere Access despite being connected to router WiFi

J3rry
Aspirant

Orbi App defaults to Anywhere Access despite being connected to router WiFi

Hi,

I have recently installed the RBK752 router and satellite but have a couple of issues (second issue detailed in separate post). The first is that the Orbi App connects to system by Anywhere Access all the time unless I manually select to connect locally. This happens continuously when my mobile device is connected to the Orbi router. Once I manually select to connect locally the Anywhere Access disappears from the list until the next time the app is opened - when it reverts back to connecting to anywhere Access.

I have version V2.11.0.1661 of the Android app (used on a Samsung Galaxy S9). The firmware of the RBK752 (router and satellite) is V4.6.3.7_2.0.49. This is a new set up and the behaviour has occured since initial set up. I have tried reinstalling the app as well as a factory reset on the system. I have allowed Location Access in the App permissions.

Is this behaviour standard or is there anything I can do to make the app always directly connect locally when connected to the router WiFi?

Any advice / help appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling Anywhere Access or Remote access on the RBR. Should be under the Advanced Tab/Advanced settings/Administration section. 

Message 2 of 10
J3rry
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, if I disable Anywhere Access the app defaults to connecting locally but as soon as Anywhere Access is enabled again it defaults to Anywhere Access.

This is specifically relating to Anywhere Access on the app. I do not have Anywhere Access enabled for the web interface.

Turning off Anywhere Access is not really a fix as it means I have to remember to switch it back on before disconnecting from the local network or else I won't be able to access the network remotely. I assume this is a bug in the app but not sure if it is specific to me or a general bug?

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Somethign to present to NG support and see if this is correct behavior or not. 

Does this happen on all devices? 

I know when Im at work, I have to select Access Anywhere. When I'm at home I don't, it just logs in. 

Message 4 of 10
J3rry
Aspirant

I only have the app on my mobile. I have an RBK353 and RBK752 set up with the app and the behaviour described only occurs with the RBK752, although the app has been updated since the last time I used it connected locally to the RBK353 so this might have changed.

I'll raise this with Netgear Support, thanks FURRYe38.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 10
X1Zero
Tutor

I’m having the same app issue. Only started occurring with the latest two app updates on iOS.

Whether you’re on your local network or not, the app defaults to Anywhere Access on opening.

Latest app version: 2.12.0.22.
Previous version: 2.11.6.0
Message 7 of 10
testhecheese
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue of not able to turn off Anywhere Access in the app..

However I think I found a way to turn it off...

I'm using the iOS app.. version 2.12.0.22

In the orbi app...

- in the upper right corner, touch the circle with a cloud in the middle icon

- the Orbi menu will display

- at the top of the menu just below the "Orbi" header at the top, there should be section with the model number of your router and below the model number it says "Connected via Anywhere Access"

- touch the model number menu option 

- the screen "Your Products" will display, there will be 2 different products displaying

- touch the option that says "Connect Locally"

- the screen will disappear and go back to the apps main screen

- notice in the upper right corner, the circle now has a house in it

- touch the circle with a house icon

- the Orbi menu will display, now the model number option has the text "Connected Locally"

- touch the Ssettings menu option

- the "Settings" screen will display

- touch the Anywhere Access option

- you should now be able to touch the slider bar for "Out-Of-Home Controls" and turn off Anywhere Access

Hope this helps! : )

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Works with Android as well.  Thanks for finding this.

Message 9 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My Netgear Nighthawk R8000p exhibited the same behavior before I upgraded to the Orbi R752, so I think this is a standard thing.  If Anywhere Access is selected it always uses that.  

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7