Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi App remote access issue - "Device is offline" - with my solution

wedgedOne
Follower

Orbi App remote access issue - "Device is offline" - with my solution

Hello all, I'm sharing this in case it helps someone else. 

I have an RBR750 with 2 satellites - at FW version 4.6.14.3. I just installed the system a month ago and have a free year of Netgear Armor because I purchased the system at Costco. So many of the posts in this forum seem to suggest that fixing "Orbi App access issues" require me to be on the Orbi's WiFi network, and even then I might need to do a complete reset of my Orbi to fix this kind Orbi App access issue, but since I'm not at home I don't have that option.

I had been unable to access the router through the Orbi app for at least a week, even though the router was up and running (as verified by connecting to it via VPN using OpenVPN). The message I got from the Orbi App (on iOS and IPadOS) was "Device is offline". And in case you're wondering why I wanted to use the Orbi App if I had VPN access working and therefore access to the router's web interface - well it's because I can't seem to turn Armor on or off with anything other than the Orbi App. And I needed to disable Armor to try to solve a problem with inexplicable loss of access to my (long functioning) home monitoring camera system.

So ... It turns out there is a way to do at least some Armor actions via a web browser - by going to https://armor.netgear.com and logging in with my Netgear registration credentials. Once I found that out, I logged in to Armor and saw that it had decided that the my IP address was the origin of some kind of suspicious access attempt and ARMOR HAD BLOCKED MY IP ADDRESS. I was able to add my IP address to the whitelist for Armor, and the next time I tried to use the Orbi App - it worked! From there I was then FINALLY able to disable Armor using the Orbi App too. 

Anyway I hope this helps someone else. 

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi App remote access issue - "Device is offline" - with my solution

Any updates on this? I presume this has been solve now. 

@wedgedOne wrote:

Hello all, I'm sharing this in case it helps someone else. 

I have an RBR750 with 2 satellites - at FW version 4.6.14.3. I just installed the system a month ago and have a free year of Netgear Armor because I purchased the system at Costco. So many of the posts in this forum seem to suggest that fixing "Orbi App access issues" require me to be on the Orbi's WiFi network, and even then I might need to do a complete reset of my Orbi to fix this kind Orbi App access issue, but since I'm not at home I don't have that option.

I had been unable to access the router through the Orbi app for at least a week, even though the router was up and running (as verified by connecting to it via VPN using OpenVPN). The message I got from the Orbi App (on iOS and IPadOS) was "Device is offline". And in case you're wondering why I wanted to use the Orbi App if I had VPN access working and therefore access to the router's web interface - well it's because I can't seem to turn Armor on or off with anything other than the Orbi App. And I needed to disable Armor to try to solve a problem with inexplicable loss of access to my (long functioning) home monitoring camera system.

So ... It turns out there is a way to do at least some Armor actions via a web browser - by going to https://armor.netgear.com and logging in with my Netgear registration credentials. Once I found that out, I logged in to Armor and saw that it had decided that the my IP address was the origin of some kind of suspicious access attempt and ARMOR HAD BLOCKED MY IP ADDRESS. I was able to add my IP address to the whitelist for Armor, and the next time I tried to use the Orbi App - it worked! From there I was then FINALLY able to disable Armor using the Orbi App too. 

Anyway I hope this helps someone else. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7