Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi App

rbyrdman
Tutor

Orbi App

Hello-

I have just started having a problem opening the Orbi App.  I click on the app and it comes right back and says "Orbi has stopped"  with two choices.  The first is to close app and the second is send feedback.

My RBR20 is still up and running and I am connected to the internet with all my wireless devices.  Everything seems to be running fine except I can not get to the app.  Can you help??

Thanks for you time and effort.

Richard Byrd
Message 1 of 13

@rbyrdman wrote:
Hello-

I have just started having a problem opening the Orbi App.  I click on the app and it comes right back and says "Orbi has stopped"  with two choices.  The first is to close app and the second is send feedback.

Was this after the latest app update?

Which app? iOS or Android?

I ask because the same thing has started happening to me on a Samsung on Android 8. Similar symptoms.

No problem on a Huawei tablet on Android 9.

I have the same problem on the Nighthawk App.

Both started after the latest update to 2.10.6.1635.

Message 2 of 13
WoodBHermit
Tutor

I noticed this very same problem today, 08/13/2021, with the Orbi app for Android smartphones. I'm running Android 8.0.0.

I had just renewed my Bitdefender Total Security subscription with Netgear Armor for Orbi on 08/08/2021 and everything worked fine for a few days thereafter. This problem must have developed sometime within the past 2-3 days. I don't use the Orbi app every day so it's difficult to be more precise.

My WiFi works fine but the Orbi smartphone app no longer works, always stops at the very beginning right after the version screen is displayed (version 2.10.6.1635): "Orbi has stopped" is the only message I get along with a feedback option. I have restarted my smartphone and also uninstalled and reinstalled the app but nothing helps. App does not work at all.

I have today also noticed on the Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi Web Portal (RBR50 router) that my Armor Security Status is now NOT ACTIVATED when it was ACTIVATED and working fine just a few days ago after renewal, along with the app.

Anyone else noticing something similar?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Android app 2.10.6.1635 is working for me on

Android 11

Android 10

Android 8.1.0

Android 7.1.1

The RBR50 remains on firmware 2.7.2.104 (I have seen the notice occasionally about "New Firmware" and am waiting to see if Netgear forces it on me). I have never activated Armor or Parental Controls.

Message 4 of 13
WoodBHermit
Tutor

I have been running Version V2.7.3.22 firmware on my Orbi without any performance issues.

Regarding the mentioned app issue on Android, I have read multiple reviews of the Orbi app posted by users on Google Play who are having this identical issue: no problems at all with the app in the past (like me and the OP) and then over the course of just a few days a sudden app failure as it refuses to launch at all. This is most likely related to the latest update in some way.

Netgear has so far failed to address this issue even once on Google Play. They really should address it here on the user forums.

Message 5 of 13
rbyrdman
Tutor

V2.7.3.22 is for the Orbi router.  The problem is the v2.10.6.1635 for the app.  The NETGEAR TEAM has reached out to me for more information and I gave it to them.  Maybe they will come back with an answer or a fix.  If the do I will pass it on.

Message 6 of 13
WoodBHermit
Tutor

Yes, the latest Version of the app (v2.10.6.1635) does appear to be the problem at least for some users. Thanks for the update. I hope Netgear finds a solution.

Message 7 of 13
WoodBHermit
Tutor

I have a solution for this. Whatever the issue(s) may be they are definitely related to the latest version of the Orbi app v2.10.6.1635, updated in late July 2021.

I have today gone to APK mirror online (apkmirror.com) and downloaded and installed the most recent version of the Orbi app before this, namely v2.10.5.1633 from early July 2021.

The installation was smooth and my Orbi app is now up and running without any problems once again. Afterwards, I also deactivated automatic updates for the Orbi app in Google Play to avoid having the malfunctioning v2.10.6.1635 automatically installed once again. You should do this too.

Something problematic was introduced into this software moving from the prior version to the the most recent update.

NETGEAR definitely needs to fix something here in a future version of the Orbi app!

Message 8 of 13

@WoodBHermit wrote:

I have a solution for this. Whatever the issue(s) may be they are definitely related to the latest version of the Orbi app v2.10.6.1635, updated in late July 2021.

I have today gone to APK mirror online (apkmirror.com) and downloaded and installed the most recent version of the Orbi app before this, namely v2.10.5.1633 from early July 2021.

IT WORKS.

Message 9 of 13
rbyrdman
Tutor

@WoodBHermit 

Thanks for the info.  It does work!!!  Now I can get back to work.  Maybe Netgear will come up with a fix so we can move on without a jury rig.  Thanks again.

Message 10 of 13

Indeed.

Now I just have to see if the Nighthawk version also works.

Why is Netgear silent on this issue?

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Netgear is silent on nearly every issue.

Message 12 of 13
WoodBHermit
Tutor

UPDATE

Just in case you haven't noticed this yet yourself, the only version of the Orbi app that so far still functions without any problems of the app repeatedly stopping at some point for unknown reasons is 2.10.5.1633 from July 2021. It was originally proposed as a workaround for this issue in this thread.

Both of the updates since then (2.11.0.1661 and 2.11.5.1716) have some variation of the app stopping unexpectedly and repeatedly (at least with Android 8.0) making the app essentially useless.

I wonder why NETGEAR hasn't come up with a solution for this in the meantime? Two more app upgrades have come and gone and still no action!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7