Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK 853 speed test not working

Intmedhead8
Tutor

Orbi RBK 853 speed test not working

Speed test is no longer working. States connection failure. I have rebooted and uninstalled and re-installed my APP. No luck. It was as working when I first got my mesh in June and now that my free Netgear support has expired, it no longer works. Coincidence? Had anyone had this recent problem?
Message 1 of 31

Accepted Solutions
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

I was finally able to speak to a Netgear support rep, Rose. The delay was from my end, not theirs. She performed a factory reset remotely on my router, and I went through the steps to set up a new router. The reset was initiated from within the router web page (I don’t know exactly where on the page the reset was accessible since I was not doing it, but to be clear, it was not via the app). After the router had restarted and I finished the installation process, the SpeedTest via the app worked. Considering that the app worked for me previously and then stopped, much like what has happened to others, I’m cautiously optimistic that this is a permanent fix. But I have to say that Rose was great and I’m back in business.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 31

All Replies
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

I'm having the same problem with my Orbi RBK 753.  It was working for the first few weeks, and then stopped.  I've reset the router and modem several times, have uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times, and tried customer support.  No success.

Message 2 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app
Let them know what your seeing. 

Thank you. 

Message 3 of 31
Intmedhead8
Tutor

When I try to use the speed test, it says " Connection Failed. If the problem persists, try rebooting your router."  I have rebooted and unplugged the router a dozen or more times.  It worked up until 3 weeks ago when my support service for Netgear expired.  I was not sure if this was a coincidence or if the speed test was a free service as long as I had the support service with Netgear.

Message 4 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

This maybe something going on with the app or on NGs side that they need to take a look at. 

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

Message 5 of 31
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Intmedhead8 and @Fritzsche0529

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Is this on Android or iOS? 

May we please know the Android or iOS version?

Kindly provide the Orbi App version. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 6 of 31
Intmedhead8
Tutor

Apple iPhone X. 

Orbi version 2.6.2.9

firmware version V3.2.16.6

Message 7 of 31
Cshartma
Guide

I have the same problem. Speedtest in the app and on the router’s web interface have ceased to work after a firmware upgrade. I’ve vlcalled netgear support 4 times - each time on hold for 1.5 hours. None of their suggestions helped. They are not only incompetent but also Poorly managed. This is the worse customer experience I’ve had on any product.
Message 8 of 31
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Orbi App Users, 

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback with your latest experience regarding the Orbi app speed test feature. For those experiencing issues, may you please provide the following information for us to check further.

Product Model:

Firmware Version:

Orbi App Version: (iOS or Android) 

Thank you,

Christian 

Message 9 of 31
Roobob
Aspirant

Same problem. Speedtest in Orbi app is not working. “Connection failed. If the problem persists try rebooting your router.”

I have rebooted the router, the ONT, and disconnected all devices several times and still see the issue.

Product model: RBK853/RBR850
Firmware version: v3.2.16.6
Orbi App Version: iOS 2.6.2.9

Note that Speedtest App and Net Analyzer app on the same device both work and get good speeds.
Message 10 of 31
BiGMERF
Apprentice

same issue here.. 

latest firmware for both app and router

several reboots has done nothing to change it

this morning app wouldnt even recognize the app.. had to restart it

ive only had the 550 for less than a week and after working good for a few days, its been down hill since

Message 11 of 31
tuxbox78
Aspirant

very same here for RBK853 and all latest firmware and iOS App (for iOS14).

Message 12 of 31
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello, 

For those on iOS 14 experiencing this issue, may you enable local network access if you haven't done so already and let me know if your issue persists. You may need to reinstall the Orbi app if you're unable to see this in your iPhone's settings or if you're unable to get a local network access notification. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062316/Why-am-I-being-asked-to-let-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-apps-connect-to-d...

Christian 

Message 13 of 31
BiGMERF
Apprentice

When I had my previous system rbr852, it was prior to the iOS 14 update that the speedtest began to fail.  When I upgraded to iOS 14 ( I also enabled the network option ). It still did not work.  I was within my 30 day window and brought it back this past Monday.  So far the speedtest within the new one is working.  But it's only been a few days though.. my last system it worked for about a week, then just stopped.. along with device naming and image tagging. 

Message 14 of 31
BiGMERF
Apprentice

Also I know I saw today an update popped up in the App Store for Orbi.  Was that a fix ? 

Message 15 of 31
Intmedhead8
Tutor

I just looked at my APP store and I did not see a update for this program.

Message 16 of 31
Intmedhead8
Tutor

I deleted the APP and reinstalled it and unfortunately it still did not work.

Message 17 of 31
BiGMERF
Apprentice

I had it on both my iPad and iPhone 

Message 18 of 31
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@BiGMERF - Please feel free to provide another update in the future. 

@Intmedhead8 - Are you on iOS 14? 

Christian 

Message 19 of 31
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

My app was set for local network access, and I am using iOS 14. I switched the setting off then on again, and still have the SpeedTest problem.
Message 20 of 31
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

I was finally able to speak to a Netgear support rep, Rose. The delay was from my end, not theirs. She performed a factory reset remotely on my router, and I went through the steps to set up a new router. The reset was initiated from within the router web page (I don’t know exactly where on the page the reset was accessible since I was not doing it, but to be clear, it was not via the app). After the router had restarted and I finished the installation process, the SpeedTest via the app worked. Considering that the app worked for me previously and then stopped, much like what has happened to others, I’m cautiously optimistic that this is a permanent fix. But I have to say that Rose was great and I’m back in business.
Message 21 of 31
TAU-2
Aspirant

Hi, my Orbi app internet speed test feature stopped working about two days ago.  I consistently receive "Connection Failed" when running this test.  Please see requested information below:

Product Model: RBR750

Firmware Version: v3.2.16.6

Orbi App Version: (iOS or Android) : Android version 2.6.2.1239

Message 22 of 31
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

@TAU-2 ,

This has happened to many of us.  Frankly, I'm not sure why it works for just a few days, then stops, but that's what seems to be happening.  For me, I tried rebooting everything (router, modem, satellites) in various orders, and reinstalled the app a few times as well.  Nothing worked.  I finally did a "factory reset" of the router.  A Netgear tech did it for me remotely, but you could likely do it yourself, although you'll probably need to access the router web app from a PC and connect via Ethernet.  (www.orbilogin.net).  Since this was done for me, I'm not able to give you good instructions on how to execute the factory reset, but if you need help, you can contact NETGEAR or maybe someone on this forum could offer assistance.  Good luck.

Message 23 of 31
TAU-2
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, Fritzsche0529.  I have done all of the recommended steps, except for the factory reset, to no avail.  I have opened a ticket with support and will follow up with them today for a resolution.  If no fix is provided by support, I guess I will do the dreaded factory reset.  Thanks again!

Message 24 of 31
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

Best of luck. Let us know if it works. Mine is still working. Rose, the Netgear tech who helped me, checked in this evening to ensure that my app was still working. It was. Hopefully you’ll get her to help you as well!
Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7