Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR850 QoS Spped Test Fails

VerneArase
Apprentice

Orbi RBR850 QoS Spped Test Fails

Anyone know how to get the speed test working on the RBR850?

Every time I try to use it it just hangs.

It's less important now that I have gigabit service, but when I had 300 mbps service it would've been nice for QoS to have the bandwidth numbers so it could leave upstream bandwidth available for ACK/NAKs.

-- Thanks, Verne

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

Same Issue QoS Stopped Test Fails

On going a few days.

Message 2 of 20
VerneArase
Apprentice

For me it's been happening for months.

It stopped working not long after I bought my RBK853 package.

Anyone know what domain name it's trying to connect to?

-- Thanks, Verne

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

So after 6 months and 50 plus hours on the phone of going back and fourth netgear agreed to replace my system but not really. They wanted to send out only the router, system was purchased as a set. Not a single call was made to me from Netgear for troubleshooting after the first few. Ithe issues:

Discarding the BPDU, since it is an invalid BPDU so many times a second it takes the router offline. , back online and back offline, FLAPPING Even when the router and the satellite are the only things connected the same behavior. Wired and wireless backhawl no change

But t was me calling yall back and today when I found out the RMA was canceled I called, and  2 more hours and still a run around. Now with out a stable working system and my RMA is no where to be found. The flapping issue is well documented and the BPDU is also clearly defined. Hoops jumped by providing each and everything that supported asked when I CALLED yall. Wireshark captures clearly show there is an issue.

So as a twenty plus year customer, how can I get service?. Or shall we set the last hoop on fire to see if I can jump thru?

and Or should I just pony up and go with Cisco?

Message 4 of 20
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jsrichie, 

Has our support team been able to follow up with your regarding your concerns?

Regards,

Christian 

Message 5 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

Over 60 hours on the phone on HOLD for support and so everytime calling I get transfered to another dept the issue remains:

3/19/ 0915
expert ID
Disconnected

trasnfered to

19 dead air

expert ID

0947. HOLD AGAIN

Message 6 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

AND DISCONNECTED AGAIN

Well since Netgear would not like to support the product they sell,I'm DONE.

Twenty year customer and So an hour latter and still have not gotten to any one and have had to call back 5 five.

Simply the worst support for what use to be a great company.

Good Bye Netgear.

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Been working here for me on v12 and using a CM1200 modem:

OrbiAppSpeedTestWorking.png

Message 8 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

Message 9 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

So I have posted the response 5 times and each time it is removed.

Why?

Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What text are you using? 

Message 11 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

Yea I placed it in all text cleaned with notepad. Yet still pulled.

So It my only assumption that the data posted is in some way not acceptable despite its only the details of the issue.

So with that it looks to be that Netgear does not wish to solve the issue with the flagship device for home use. Nor have it in the light.

yet Ill try again in a smaller chunk

Message 12 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

yep pulled

so 

The issue ORBI was placed in service as a router. Speed test Runs. Speed is 500/500 and registers as such +/_ 25meg. With this speed, QoS is not needed per NG own documentation, and is strongly suggest that it be turned off. Does not matter the config state. On or Off Speed test run or Not. Set or not set manually 500/500:

Testing:
All Speed tests are Averaged over 72 hours / 2 vendors. NOT a SINGLE SHOT measurement. TIC stacked used to monitor.

Measured internet speed on cable modem side remains 500/500. ONT > CM
Measured speed on the ORBI directly connected to a 1g port on the CM with 10 devices wired to the switch. ONT > CM > R8000 > NG324TP / ORBI
Main speed test server running in 256gig memory space never more than 250megs or half the measured speed after a Speed test with QoS on and manually set.
Main speed test server running in 256gig memory space never more than 100meg with NG Managed QoS.

All firmware  use Current on One stop back on the train,

Message 13 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

Place the Device in AP mode and the issue becomes flapping.ONT > CM > R8000 > NG324 / ORBI

errors ate the rate of 2 per ms of Discarding the BPDU, since it is an invalid BPDU type

With DoS Protections turned on to "protect the switch" it sees this as a DOS attack and DOWN/DOWN the port thus taking the wireless network offline. Only when a trap it placed to UP/UP the port can I return service. The effect of this is FLAPPING.
Now with DoS Protection turned OFF this is still an issue and the messages still produce at the same rate but the FLAPPING is not "controlled"
When connecting the ORBI directly to the R8000 with an R8000 connection the NG324PoE190 the messages continue.
With NO other devices connected, so CM>R8000>NG324?ORBI { AP Mode } FLAPPING
With NO other devices connected, so CM/R8000/NG324/ORBI. AP Mode. FLAPPING
So in each scenario, the device becomes unresponsive for a time frame of 10 to 15 seconds.
With NO other devices connected, so ONT>CM>ORBI { Router Mode } QoS speed issues
With NO other devices connected, so ONT>CM>/ORBI. { AP Mode } this is not a configuration unless I supply a DHCP/DNS server. the R8000 or 

Message 14 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

As. finaly step a new system / router and Mesh / was placed online from another vendor and the errors cleared and all log are reporting normal activity.

Even the NG324TP is returning to normal operation. 

Sure would like the system brought to life properly

Message 15 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

And it has returned for now. So I wait the suggestions.  And resetting the system for more than the 100th time is not going to fly.

Message 16 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

After a promise for a call back None ever came, I called again and again got a promise 24-48 hours.

We are now at 48 hours and NO call. 

So NO I have not gotten Service on this device to bring it back to life. 3 rounds of a promise to call in 24 to 48 hours.

And from the looks of it they delay is to wait out the device warranty and then tell me sorry.

So nothing from the NG community and nothing from NG it self to assist.

Seem I may have to visit the HQ with the device to get it solved.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have an ONT connected to a CM series modem? Can the CM modem be removed when using the ONT?

Seems like your configurations could be effecting the RBR. Most RBRs should connect to a ONT directly or a CM series modem if the modem is fully coax connected. My RBR850 is connected directly to my CM1200 since last year. No ONT present. I have no probems with QOS or speed issues. 

You'll need to keep in contact with NG support about this. You may have a faulty system. 

I would also not use the switch as well. This may introducing problems in to the mix. I would connect the RBR in AP mode directly to the R series router in that configuration.

The CM series modems do not have DHCP services do AP mode is not a valid configuration for the RBR. 

Message 18 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

You dont have fiber then, Optical Network terminal.

The configurations have been all explained in detail to NG .

They are not posted here because they keep removing the gory details 

I surly not dropping cash on a Netgear CM with coax

Put your device in AP mode drop a Switch in and I bet you get the same reaction.

It will not speed test both units.

There is also an auable click on the satellite 

Im done with Netgear they have wasted to much of my time for his type of trivial issue.

The need to fix their spanning tree issues or give up.

I have already made the choice to move on and guess what back to lighting fast.

And well a hell of a lot better integration with the new vendor. 

Bye Bye Netgear.

PS I Have a new ORBI system,324tp, 4  GC308E, and 4 GS110TPv3s,  for personal use.

30 +GSM4230P's and a few XSM4348CS enterprise units.

Offers?

Message 19 of 20
jsrichie
Tutor

yep promised a call at 0900 to 1000 this morning and the call never came,

So Netgear has again had me SIT around waiting for a call which never comes.

WHY

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7