Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Remote Access for multiple clients

Cognomen
Tutor

Orbi Remote Access for multiple clients

Can I access a client's Orbi system remotely for their support?

I can access my Orbi RBR50 using Anywhere Access when I am away from my home wifi. However, I am unable to remotely access the systems I have set up for clients across the East of England as it would seem that the Orbi iOS app only allows one user, namely me, at a time. I am therefore unable to see the clients' systems as they each have their own login.

1. Are my assumptions correct in that only one user can be logged in at a time on the iOS app?

2. Is there a process that will allow me to remotely access these client's securely using their own logins from either an app or a web interface?

3. I noted that in setting up the client systems, the installation process overwrote my own login details in the iOS app.

4. Please note that I am unable to comment on or utilise Android user's experience as I have no detailed knowledge of that OS.

5. Am I the only one with this problem? I am now acquiring a substantial number of clients using Orbi who would appreciate simple remote help or is the Netgear plan to add to their load by supporting every single Orbi user for every small query?

6. Please bear in mind that not all of my Orbi clients have a computer attached to their network all the time. Many control Orbi through iPhones or iPads.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Remote Access for multiple clients

@Cognomen wrote:

1. Are my assumptions correct in that only one user can be logged in at a time on the iOS app?

I believe this is correct, yes.  One login at a time.

2. Is there a process that will allow me to remotely access these client's securely using their own logins from either an app or a web interface?

The original Orbi (RBR50) supports two types of remote access that are separate from the Orbi "app":

(a) Remote access to the web interface using a web browser and (b) activating OpenVPN to gain access to the web interface using a web browser. Both of these methods depend on knowing the IP address of the remote system, which can be done by setting up DDNS.

3. I noted that in setting up the client systems, the installation process overwrote my own login details in the iOS app.

4. Please note that I am unable to comment on or utilise Android user's experience as I have no detailed knowledge of that OS.

Android is the same. One login to the 'app' at a time.

5. Am I the only one with this problem? I am now acquiring a substantial number of clients using Orbi who would appreciate simple remote help or is the Netgear plan to add to their load by supporting every single Orbi user for every small query?

Netgear provides 90 days of 'complimentary support' with a new purchase.  After that, Netgear provides support only to customers who pay GearHead for it.

6. Please bear in mind that not all of my Orbi clients have a computer attached to their network all the time. Many control Orbi through iPhones or iPads.

My take is that the residential product was not designed for a corporate relationship.  Each Orbi has only one "admin" login password (the user ID cannot be changed from "admin")  The app allows one login to administer any number of Orbi systems (no idea what the limit is), but all from one Netgear account.

I think if Anywhere Access is set up on each Orbi, the most straightforward process is to keep a list of Netgear account/passwords for each client. Open the app. Login as the correct client. Etc.

Netgear's business products have all sorts of remote management capabilities, and they are not free either.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Cognomen wrote:

I believe this is correct, yes.  One login at a time.

The original Orbi (RBR50) supports two types of remote access that are separate from the Orbi "app":

(a) Remote access to the web interface using a web browser and (b) activating OpenVPN to gain access to the web interface using a web browser. Both of these methods depend on knowing the IP address of the remote system, which can be done by setting up DDNS.

Android is the same. One login to the 'app' at a time.

Netgear provides 90 days of 'complimentary support' with a new purchase.  After that, Netgear provides support only to customers who pay GearHead for it.

My take is that the residential product was not designed for a corporate relationship.  Each Orbi has only one "admin" login password (the user ID cannot be changed from "admin")  The app allows one login to administer any number of Orbi systems (no idea what the limit is), but all from one Netgear account.

I think if Anywhere Access is set up on each Orbi, the most straightforward process is to keep a list of Netgear account/passwords for each client. Open the app. Login as the correct client. Etc.

Netgear's business products have all sorts of remote management capabilities, and they are not free either.

Message 2 of 4
Cognomen
Tutor

Thanks CrimpOn, I'll go away and play now!

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

This question has come up before, so if you find a workable solution, please post it.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7