Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi SpeedTest not working on iOS app.

Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

Orbi SpeedTest not working on iOS app.

The SpeedTest on the Orbi iOS app is not working.  It worked for about a week after I purchased and installed the Orbi (about 3 weeks ago), then stopped working.  The firmware version is V3.2.16.6.  MyiOs version is 13.2.  I am using an iPad2 and also aniPhone X.  I've reset the router, modem, devices, and app many times..in various orders.  I have also contacted Netgear but they have not been able to fix it yet.  Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

Message 1 of 13
rmakin
Tutor

Re: Orbi SpeedTest not working on iOS app.

You're not alone Fritzsche0529. I'm (Mike) having the same problem with the Orbi iOS app.  I installed the RBK753S, and the app, on 8/28/20.  The SpeedTest worked fine on the app until about 9/10/20.  I have rebooted the router and modem (several times) and have gone through a complete new installation setup.  SpeedTest still doesn't work and says 'Connection Failed'.  I've also tried to run the SpeedTest on the Configuration Website and it doesn't work now either; it did before.  RBR750 Firmware is V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.  IOS app Firmware is V3.2.16.6.  Additionally, the app keeps oscillating showing internet Online and then Offline. When it says Offline, the RBR750 has a pink dot on the app Network map, but there is no lighted band showing on the actual RBR750.  I am using an iPhone XR and a late 2015 iMac running Catalina. Any suggestions from NetGear, or others, to fix this?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 13
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

Misery loves company, I guess.  I haven't gotten any solutions from Netgear yet.  If they follow up with any type of solution, I'll pass it along.

Message 3 of 13
richll
Aspirant

Your're not alone.  The app is a diaster!

It worked fine for a few days including the speed test, but after the new ios update, 14, nothing will work.  Removed the app and reinstalled it and it won't find the Orbi.  Was on the phone for hours with Tech support and they don't have a clue as to how to fix it.  

Read the reviews on the app.

Message 4 of 13
Fritzsche0529
Apprentice

Many have had a similar problem with the app.  It works for a while then stops.  It does not appear to be an iOS14 issue.  I got help from Tech Support (3rd rep...first two couldn't help), and she had me do a factory reset on the router.  I had to reinstall the router afterwards, but the SpeedTest worked again. Based on input from another contributor, the app issue may pop up after reboot (not factory reset) of the router.  I have not tried that because my app is still working, but if I need to do a reboot for some reason...and the app stops working again, I will try the reset again and report back.  

While looking for the solution, I deleted and reinstalled the app many times and rebooted the router often as well...all without success...until the factory reset.  The tech actually helped me do it remotely (she took control and clicked through the steps.  I'm not a computer whiz in case that's not already obvious).  Good luck.

Message 5 of 13
Home181
Aspirant

I have been having the same issue with the speedtest function not working and have spent hours on the phone with various techs. It seems a factory reset and then customized configuration will work, but only until you reboot or power cycle the modem! Then the “connection error” comes back. It is not just in the iOS app but also in the QoS feature if you login via a browser where it doesn’t do a new test but just keeps showing the result of an old test. I have literally done a factory reset, put a customized name and password for my WiFi network, done one IP reservation for my printer, confirmed the speedtest works, backed up the settings and noticed that if I turn the router off and back on then the error comes back. If I then reload the saved settings from immediately before the power cycle, the speedtest works again. Last night the tech sent me a follow up email saying that the only way to use the router is to have **No** customization of settings, only use factory defaults... seems to me there is a problem in the firmware as it relates to rebooting with customized settings and netgear techs are not admitting it / too lazy to diagnose the issue. Oh, also, check your DHCP table. I cannot figure out why some devices are connected and working but do not show up in the list of attached devices. Other devices sometimes keep working even after I toggle the switch in the app to disable their access (noticed this with my Nest cameras). There are more bugs in the software here...
Message 6 of 13
rmakin
Tutor

Hi back Fritzsche0529.  Thanks for the response.  I, too, was able to fix the problem with help from the Netgear Tech team.  They had me do a "shock reset" which I'll copy below.  This also seemed to help the issue of it occasionally saying it could not detect an internet connection (although I know it was connected) which actually meant you couldn't use anything on the app at all.   I still think the IOS upgrade I did on the phone had something to do with it as I downloaded the Orbi app to my ipad and it worked.  So,  I deleted the app from my iPhone and reinstalled it.  So in the end, who knows what fixed it.  It has worked ever since I did all this and I've had no issues for a month now.  All seems to be working fine on the app and with the Orbi RBS750s mesh system.  

1st step:

Shock reset steps:

Press and hold the reset button for the whole 1 min and 30 sec.

• For the first 30 sec, leave it powered on
• For the next 30 sec, unplug the power adapter from the power outlet
• For the last 30 sec, plug it back in

2nd step:

Setup the router by going to www.orbilogin.com instead of using the Orbi app.

3rd step:

Do a Mac Spoof:

1. Access www.orbillogin.com
2. go to Basic > Internet
3. go to Router MAC address > Select Use Computer MAC address and hit apply.

4th step:

Do a power cycle on both your modem and router for 2 mins.

• 1st, turn off the router, then the modem.
• Wait for 2 mins.
• plug the modem back in then the router.

If these steps are unsuccessful please provide us the following information:
 <List all information that may be needed to escalate to further troubleshoot the product. Found on http://netgear-us1.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19899/kw/escalation%20template>

Message 7 of 13
Home181
Aspirant

Thanks for posting rmakin. Have you since done a power cycle with no issues? Do you have any other customization on your settings such as a customized SSID, port forwarding, etc.
Message 8 of 13
rmakin
Tutor

No worries Home 181 (Aspirant).  Yes, I have done power cycles since then with no issues.  And no, I do not now have any cutomization on my settings.  Some background: I have a Nighthawk MR1100 hotspot LTE router (actually from AT&T on a monthly billing basis) as we are in the country and don't have access to cable.   My RBR750 is connected via ethernet to my hotspot. I had initial problems initially installing the Orbi system, including some customization.  I initally unchecked the DHCP box in the MR1100 settings to run the system with the MR1100 acting only as the modem and letting the RBR750 act as the router (as suggested by the Orbi Team).  This didn't work as the internet would not connect.  The next review with the Orbi Team, they suggested checking the DHCP box.  I did this and re-installed everything per the Orbi app (including using the SSID it suggested) as a new system using the defaults per the app; no customization.  All is working well now.

Message 9 of 13
richll
Aspirant

Re: Orbi SpeedTest and router cannot be found with iOS app.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I probably should have been more specific with my issues.

I originally had the system up and working with the mobile app until the I had done the ios 14.1 update.  At that point the app no longer worked and I could only make changes from the PC 189.189.1.1.

I contacted tech support many time and they had me set everything back to factory defaults which didn't do any good.  We even tried a second time.  I tried putting the orbi and two satellites in manually and also by scanning the the QR code and it would not recognize the Orbi.  As you know the Orbi comes with a network name (SSID) and a password which it then gives you the option to change, and I did.  

I tried multiple time haven't had any success in having it find the Orbi. 

My ethernet from my FIOS interface is plugged directly into the back of the Orbi.   

I have been trying to read all the suggestions that have been sent and I appreciate it, since the community is usually more helpful and knowledgeable than Netgear.

Thanks

Message 10 of 13
rmakin
Tutor

Home181 - I finally got my speed test to work after taking the advice of another contributor and doing a factory reset.  I had to do a new system configuration after that.  All was fairly simply by just following the App instructions.  Speed test now works on the App and on the Orbi online Configuration site for my system.  Hope this helps.  I have an RBK753S mesh system but that isn't recognized in the block above for the Model type.

Message 11 of 13
rmakin
Tutor

I took your suggestion and did a factory reset and had the same success as you did.  I had to do a complete new system configuration after that, but the end result as the speed test and everything else on the App now works.  To my surprise the history of my previous speed tests was saved so I still have those to view.  I had to reboot my Nighthawk MR1100 hotspot modem (AT&T supplied) in the process but that didn't have any impact on the speed test working.  I did not reboot the RBR750 after doing the reset and hope that I will not have to do that again.

Message 12 of 13
Home181
Aspirant

I have tried the factory reset two times and its the same scenario on each occasion. It all works great, I put in my settings, no issue. Then, upon a power cycle, the speed test function is gone. I have now figured out that I can simply restore the backup of my settings after a power cycle and it is all fine again (even though it was the same settings before the power cycle). Its a great router otherwise, just having to reload settings after each power cycle is a bit crazy.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7