Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi app and Insights App for iOS

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi app and Insights App for iOS

Hi Orbi community,,,,,

On my Router, I have changed the UID.  It is not admin.  I did that for security.

Unfortunatly, the ORBI app and the insights app default to admin.  Hence I cannot use these tools.

And chance the "Engineers" could address this?  I suppose I could just open a ticket. But thought I would ask the Community

- is every one just defaulting to admin?  Seems pointless in terms of adding security to ones system.

Thoughts??

Cheers

dH 

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi app and Insights App for iOS

@Retired_Member wrote:

On my Router, I have changed the UID.  It is not admin.  I did that for security.

I had wondered what the "downside" of changing the admin UID from "admin" would turn out to be.  So, we have two choices:

• Go maximum security by changing the UID to something different from "admin" and use only the Orbi web interface, or
  • Leave it set to "admin" and use the Orbi "app" (and Insight).

Since Netgear does not provide an official method of changing the admin UID, my guess is that they have little interest in making other products compatible with a user "hack".

As far as I know, there are no Netgear engineers active on the community forums, so the request is unlikely to reach anyone who would be capable of working on it.  Sorry.

Message 2 of 3
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi app and Insights App for iOS

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi Orbi community,,,,,

Unfortunatly, the ORBI app and the insights app default to admin.  Hence I cannot use these tools.

And chance the "Engineers" could address this?  I suppose I could just open a ticket. But thought I would ask the Community

- is every one just defaulting to admin?  Seems pointless in terms of adding security to ones system.

Thoughts??

Cheers

dH 

Admin is the industry standard for almost all routers. Also, it really doesn't hurt security as long as you use a complicated password. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7