Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi app does not support your router model

StephHudd
Aspirant

Orbi app does not support your router model

I'M TRYING TO INSTALL NEW ORBI RBK7535 (AX4200) TRI-BAND MESH WIFI AND RECEIVED AN ERROR "THE APP DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR ROUTER MODEL".  MY ROUTER IS NETGEAR C6220.  HOW DO I FIX THIS?  DO I NEED TO BUY A NEW ROUTER AND IF SO HOW DO I DETERMINE WHAT ROUTER IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE ORBI?  THANK YOU.

Model: C6220|DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi app does not support your router model

The C6220 combination modem/router/WiFi for Xfinity and Comcast is often administered using the Genie app.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/CableModems/C6220.pdf 

So, the Orbi app will not recognize the C6220 and the Genie app will not recognize the Orbi.

Orbi systems are set up using either:

• A web browser on a computer connected to the Orbi, or
  • The Orbi 'app' on a smart phone or tablet (not Genie).

Connect the WAN (yellow) port on the Orbi to a LAN port on the C6220, and the Orbi will be ready to configure using one of those two methods.  (We 'old timers' prefer to use the web method because it gives access to every feature and setting.  The 'app' is slick and cute, but lacking in capability.)

This will result in having two routers (C6220 and Orbi), which is called a "Double NAT".  Thousands of customers do this and never even notice.  There are specific situations where a Double NAT causes problems (do an internet search).  In those cases either (a) the C6220 should be put into "bridge" mode, or (b) the Orbi should be put into Access Point (AP) mode.

Message 2 of 6
StephHudd
Aspirant

Thank you.  I don't believe I have a Genie App and it's not a Comcast provided modem, but I did purchase this C6220 Netgear modem as it was compatible with Xfinity/Comcast.  I put the yellow to yellow connection via ethernet cable as directed and tried the app but received the error message. Do I need to turn the wifi off on the C6220 modem?

I could not figure out how to put the C6220 modem into "bridge" mode but I was able to put the Orbi router into AP mode and it still had the same problem...say's it cannot connect to the Netgear modem.  Frustrating thing is I don't know which Netgear modem it's referring to...the C6220 or the Orbi.  It shouldn't be this complicated but I am definitely technology challenged!  I reset the Orbi to remove the AP mode as that didn't seem to work.  

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@StephHudd wrote:

I put the yellow to yellow connection via ethernet cable as directed and tried the app but received the error message. Do I need to turn the wifi off on the C6220 modem?

The app works only when the smartphone or tablet running the app is connected to WiFi.  If the WiFi is from the C6220, then the connection will ask the C6220 "where is the IP address of routerlogin.net?" and the C6220 will say, "That's MY IP address. Here is it."

So, yes. Turn off the WiFi on the C6220 and connect the smartphone to the default SSID/password that is printed on the product label on the bottom of the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Actually, you could probably leave the C6220 WiFi enabled as long as the smartphone is connected to the Orbi WiFi.

(We always recommend to disable such WiFi because (a) it doesn't add any value, and (b) it will be competing with the Orbi for radio time.  But some customers find having two different WiFi networks in the same house to be useful. - - I don't, but that's just me.)

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you set the C series modem to modem mode only and then connect the Orbi RBR to the modem. You won't need the router on the modem. Having two routers on the same line can cause some problems.

Orbi app is for the Orbi system. Genie app is not supported with the Orbi system. 

@StephHudd wrote:

I'M TRYING TO INSTALL NEW ORBI RBK7535 (AX4200) TRI-BAND MESH WIFI AND RECEIVED AN ERROR "THE APP DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR ROUTER MODEL".  MY ROUTER IS NETGEAR C6220.  HOW DO I FIX THIS?  DO I NEED TO BUY A NEW ROUTER AND IF SO HOW DO I DETERMINE WHAT ROUTER IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE ORBI?  THANK YOU.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7