Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi app doesn't show 2 satellites in the Network Map

GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

Orbi app doesn't show 2 satellites in the Network Map

I upgraded my router from a RBR750 to a RBR860. Router setup is complete with no issues. I added the 2 satellites from the 750 system (RBS750) and based on the WiFi Analytics tab in the Orbi app, they are connected with great signal strength. 

My issue, though it is not critical, is I can't get the 2 satellites to show on the Network Map in the Orbi app. I even logged into the router from PC to see if I could add them and it didn't work either. 

So, what is the issue? Is it because these satellites are not an 860 model? or is it another problem in the setup or adding steps of the satellites that I may have messed up? 

Thanks,

Greg

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi app doesn't show 2 satellites in the Network Map

Ok for that size of home, only one RBR and maybe one RBS would be needed. And run the RBR power setting at 25% at that as well. You don't need any additional RBS. Too Much Wifi: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 18

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Where do these two RBS750 satellites show up on the Attached Devices web page (Basic tab)?

• At the top as satellites, or
  • In the lower panel as "devices"?
Message 2 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Orbi app on Apple Or Android device? 

FYI:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065169/Which-Orbi-routers-and-satellites-are-compatible

Message 3 of 18
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

No, the satellites don't show up in either location. I tried "Add Orbi Satellites" but that didn't work either. 

Message 4 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

This would seem to be the conundrum.  Netgear says that the RBS750 satellite is not compatible with the RBR860 or the RBR860B router. Hence, adding them would seem to be impossible.

What could be happening is that they are powered up and are broadcasting the last SSID they knew about, but that nothing can connect to them because they are not linked to the router.  The app WiFi Analytics shows every access point with a strong enough signal to detect and can group them by SSID.

Message 5 of 18
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

Yep, I mis-read that table. So that would explain why I don't see the satellites, but they did connect to the 860 router, because the WiFi Analytics does show great signal strength. 

I have a 860 satellite being shipped. Should be here this coming week. I'll look for a good location to set it when I connect to the network. 

Message 6 of 18
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

Well, I don't have an answer for that. Here are 2 screen shots. This is one of the satellites in the bedroom, first photo is the WiFi Analytics from the Orbi (Android) app. It shows a strong signal strength.

image_jpeg.jpg

The 2nd photo is from a Wifi analyzer, where it shows my mesh network, 3 listings of my network, gzt7d8_net, and the top one is listed shows I am 0 feet from the satellite. The other two is the router 38ft away and the garage 47ft away. 

image1_jpeg.jpg

Not compatible, but for some reason, connected. 

I have a 860 satellite coming this week. We'll see if this all changes later. 

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

We asked NG about what RBS are compatible between 7, 8 and 9 series system. 

Though we found in our own testing 7 and 8s worked with 9 series, NG hasn't done any official testing between models as of yet to get official support results. So for some, they may or may not work and if they do work, may not be fully compatible across the system or app. Sounds like in this case the Orbi app and web page are not tuned fully for mixed model RBS being connected and not sure if or when that would happen.

Message 8 of 18
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

The house is 1900 sq feet, not counting the 24x24 garage. It appears the satellites are working even though they don't show up on the network map. I see how things turn when I add the 860 satellite later this week. 

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok for that size of home, only one RBR and maybe one RBS would be needed. And run the RBR power setting at 25% at that as well. You don't need any additional RBS. Too Much Wifi: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Message 10 of 18
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

Ok, I'll look into that. 

Thanks,

Greg

Message 11 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Would there by chance be a device handy that can connect to one of the Ethernet ports on a RBS750 satellite?

I find the information to be conflicting:

• Netgear's published table says the 750 satellites are not compatible with the 860 router.
    The table could be simply inaccurate.
    Some aspects of the devices may be compatible, but not totally compatible.
    (They seem pretty comfortable with footnotes (RBS40V and RBS50Y), so why not a footnote about that?)
  • A WiFi  Analyzer app shows three devices broadcasting the same SSID on channel 48.
  • Neither the web Attached Devices nor the app Connected Devices show the two satellites as connected.
  • (This is a guess, but) neither the web Attached Devices nor the app Connected Devices show any specific devices connected to either of the two satellites. (True? False?)
  • So, it would be handy to have more confidence that things are connected to these satellites and reaching the network.

For example, connect something to an Ethernet port on a satellite and

• See if it gets an IP address and can reach the internet.
  • See how Attached Devices and Connected Devices describe the connection.

Message 12 of 18
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

Good call, About CrimpOn - NETGEAR Communities

I took one of the 750 satellites and hooked it up to my desktop. 

image3_jpeg.jpg

And run a speed test. So yes to your point, it appears the 750 satellites are compatible with the 860 routers. 

Screenshot 2023-03-25 175547.jpg

Message 13 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

What a hoot!  Thanks for taking the time to do this experiment.

So:

• compatible in the sense that devices can connect to the satellite and get network access.
    That's the reason for the Ethernet connection.
    Puzzled why the WiFi symbol appears on the Speed Test:
    CrimpOn_0-1679784179014.png

• not compatible in the sense that the router apparently does not recognize and report the satellite.
  • makes a person wonder what else is not compatible.
    • Will devices roam seamlessly between the 860 and 750 access points?
    • If Guest Access is enabled, will it be enabled also on the satellites?
    • If a WiFi password is changed, will that propagate to the satellites?
    • What about Access Control?

Would hope that the computer showed up somewhere in Attached (or Connected) devices.

Message 14 of 18
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

Yes the wifi icon is confusing. I connected my desktop with a LAN cable to perform the speed test. In the one photo I posted you should see the cable coming out of the satellite in the lower right corner.
Message 15 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

I frequently have a laptop connected with both Ethernet and WiFi.  (Takes an extra step to open the WiFi icon and "Disconnect".  I finally cleared the "Connect Automatically" boxes from the saved WiFi SSIDs to keep this from happening.)

Message 16 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Just wondering if the desktop was simultaneously connected with Ethernet and WiFi.  i.e. both connections had valid IP addresses.

Message 17 of 18
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

No it was connected to the LAN cable. I turned off the wifi on the desktop before I tested it.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7