Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi app in landscape mode.

EntangledWeb
Tutor

Orbi app in landscape mode.

I was asked to post this here, therefore, I am ...

Hello.

Why is the Orbi app "stuck" in portrait mode?

I have an iPad Pro with Keyboard case + Pencil.  The keyboard snaps into place "putting" the iPad in landscape.  Sort of ridiculous that the app does not rotate which makes using the app a little frustrating by either removing the keyboard each time or getting a neck ache viewing the thing with a tilted head. 

And forget about using it on an iPhone 6s+ in portriat mode too.

One more issue: why isn't the app available for use on an iMac?  Sure, I can get to the Orbi router from a browser but it ain't the same.

Thanks.

PS:  Becuase of this "flaw", I will most likely CANCEL my Trial Subscription to Netgear Armor that expires in 29 days ... tick.tick.tcik

Message 1 of 5
EntangledWeb
Tutor

I made a error in my Post:

"And forget about using it on an iPhone 6s+ in portriat mode too."

The Orbi App on an iPhone 6s+ works fine except it is stuck in protrait ... shame.

What I was referring to was using the Router browser interface on an iPhone 6s+ ... the text / links are too damn small.  Netgear (or whomever) NEEDS to get the App to rotate.

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

No Netgear App (Orbi, Nighthak, or Genie) does allow rotation to landscape for now.

In Netgear's mind the Apps are for mobile phone with small screens where the Web UI might be hard to use. To some extent I'm with them - except that I would love to see automatic view change to portrait and landscape as this is a coming up standard on all phone platforms. Of course, allowing automatic rotation would fulfill the needs of the tablet users with keyboard stands.

The correct way would be re-arranging the widgets for landscape usage, not just having the App bigger requiring vertical scrolling- the font size will remain the same.

The Web UI is perfectly workable on iOS, iPadOS, Android, or Windows tablets - and only the Web UI does offer the full feature set. I can't see any advantage for using an App. 

Interestingly, Microsoft and Apple seem to go complete different directions:

• Microsoft has abandoned the dream with Windows that involved universal Windows apps that would span across phones, tablets, PCs, and even Xbox consoles. The plan was that app developers could write a single app for all of these devices, and it would magically span across them all. This dream really started to fall apart after Windows Phone failed, but it's well and truly over now. Microsoft has spent years pushing developers to create special apps for the company Universal Windows Platform (UWP), and today, it’s putting the final nail in the UWP coffin. 
  • Apple aims to allow developers to release universal apps that work across iPhone, iPad, and Mac by 2021. Not that there will be one store allowing one submission (there are still two required for the mobile OSes vs macOS), just the underlying code can be the same.

Time will tell...

Message 3 of 5
EntangledWeb
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

I'm an Apple user.  

It make no sense not to rotate the App when the screen rotates.  I could careless about vertical scrolling, I care about using my iPad Pro keyboard.  

I currenlty have 3 Orbi:  Router, Satellite, Outdoor Satellite and a Wallplug Satellite.  When screwing around with the Network name, the Router thought I had 4 Satellites.  Three of Satellites showed up under the Router, with a message to "click here to see all Satellites" ...  so based on this, I will assume the "widget" isn't setup to handle more than 3 Satellites under the Router.

With that said, I seriously doubt if I will be using the Orbi app over the Browser (which rotates) all that much.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@EntangledWeb wrote:

I currenlty have 3 Orbi:  Router, Satellite, Outdoor Satellite and a Wallplug Satellite.  When screwing around with the Network name, the Router thought I had 4 Satellites.  Three of Satellites showed up under the Router, with a message to "click here to see all Satellites" ...  so based on this, I will assume the "widget" isn't setup to handle more than 3 Satellites under the Router.

Please consider to add some screenshots for clarification so Netgear will be able to pick this up. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7