Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi app is displaying many devices with weak signal

SuperPCM781
Guide

Orbi app is displaying many devices with weak signal

I actually have 1 RBR40 base and 3 RBS30 satellites in a 1250sq ft ranch with a basement. 

I have complete coverage throughout the house. Speeds are 250mbps give or take throughout the house. 

Using the Orbi app on my iPhone I see many devices with just one bar which doesnt make sense to me. 

I am thinking this is why I see a little lag in my camera.

I have Daisy Chain checked. 

The same thing was happening when I had Implicit Beamforming off, MU-MIMO off, and Enable Fasting Roaming off. 

I am running firmware version 2.3.5.32. Just updated this morning. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Orbi app is displaying many devices with weak signal

Hello SuperPCM781,

Welcome to the community! May you check the signal strength using the web admin page and letting us know what reflects. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 19
SuperPCM781
Guide

Christian,

I see this from the web admin using my browser. 

All show high signal strength. 

Honestly I didnt think this was a representation of signal strength.

I thought it was just a picture showing all devices connected to wifi not necessary display the strength of the signal. 

Every wireless device whether on 2.4ghz or 5.0ghz shows the same as the picture below. 

One device should not be full strength? I do have great coverage throughout my home. 

If this is an indication of signal strength why does the ORBI mobile app show varied signals for me most low strength but a few high strength?

See attachment. 

Message 3 of 19
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

SuperPCM781, 

I was looking to see what the internet status was displayed in the web admin. May you run a speed test on the devices that claim to low signal strength. You may also need to see whether these devices are connected to the RBR40 or the RBW30 satellites. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 4 of 19
SuperPCM781
Guide

Yes I did all that. 

It appears that the wireless equipment doesnt always connect to the closest satelitte or base unit. 

The signal is strong and aboiut the same throughout my house. 

Speed tests do not necessarily reflect good signal strength.

It just doesn't sense.  

Message 5 of 19
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SuperPCM781,

May you try reinstalling the Orbi app to see if there are any changes. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 6 of 19
k3n85
Tutor

I've seen the same, my device is 3 feet away from a connected Satellite, yet shows 1-bar of signal strength in the iOS app. I think this might be broken either on the Satellite FW or in the iOS app. I also have another open post on the "Link Rate" showing incorrectly on the iOS app with the Satellite. The two issues might be similar in root cause.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Link-rate-incorrect-when-device-connected-to-Orbi-satellite/m-... 

Message 7 of 19
Douggs
Aspirant

I have a similar observation.  Orbi app shows low signal strength for wifi right next to router.  Device is showing good signal though

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 19
Robertvogt3
Aspirant

I am also haveing the same issue, all connected devices show one bar of wifi weather on 2.4 or 5.0 and regardless of distance, but on the actual device they have full bars and full network speed. 

i ahve tried reinstalling the ios app. and factory resetting the netgear modem.

i have a cax80 netgear modem.

Message 9 of 19
Robertvogt3
Aspirant

just got done on chat with support and they have escalated it

Message 10 of 19
Robertvogt3
Aspirant

Still no solution, netgear tech was in a remote session on my computer and couldnt fix it. They said they are going to see if they csn reproduce my situation
Message 11 of 19
Robertvogt3
Aspirant

As you can see the app shows all connected devices are at one bar
Message 12 of 19
Maheshb4u
Aspirant

Why am I seeing poor signal strength in orbi app even after sitting beside to main router as well..
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 19
Maheshb4u
Aspirant

Hi Robert,
Were you happen to hear any update for this issue..?
Message 14 of 19
Robertvogt3
Aspirant

I checked it again today, and apparently an update to the app fixxed my issue. all devices that are connected to the router, now show the correct signal strength in the app.

Message 15 of 19
SeaRascal
Aspirant

I have the same issue with my ORBI CBR40 and my RBS20.  Low signal on the app even though the device is in very close proximity to the ORBI's.  I have the latest version of the app 2.7.2.1371 and the firmware vesion is V2.5.0.14.  Any thoughts?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 16 of 19
Robertvogt3
Aspirant

TRy updateing the netgear app that worked for me

Message 17 of 19
TyneBridges
Tutor

I'm also rather puzzled by the signal strength indicators under WiFi analytics in the Orbi app (of which I have the latest version). I understand the dB reading on a scale of -95 to -17 and that, the lower the figure, the better. What I don't understand is the percentage below that, which sometimes shows 100% but can also drop as low as 50% when the dB figure still shows "okay". Is the percentage an indicator of signal to noise ratio? If not, what is it based on?

My Orbi system is an RBK752, installed a few days ago.

Thanks.

Message 18 of 19
Kabes
Aspirant

+1 on this issue. I recently purchased the Orbi 6000 WIFI 6 and went through a painful setup process. The app is tortoise slow and some times unresponsive. I could be standing right next to the router or satellite and show one bar of signal strength on the Orbi app. On my iPhone I show full strength. This is all with the latest IOS and Netgear software.
Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7