Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi app not connecting to the router with ios 14 upgrade (RBR750)

prabakarm
Tutor

Orbi app not connecting to the router with ios 14 upgrade (RBR750)

Hi,

I just upgraded by iphone to ios14 and now my orbi app is not able to connect to the router or product.  My wifi6 system works well and I am able to access the internet.  Just app is not connecting so unable to manage the wifi network.  Any suggestions on what the problem might be.  ios14 just got released.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 67
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Orbi app not connecting to the router with ios 14 upgrade (RBR750)

I think there might be a bug in iOS13 where you iPhone is temporarily unable to connect to your current wireless network.  Was it complaining that your password was invalid?  Did it complain about not having a private address?  Try forgetting the network, or turning off wireless, or powering off your iPhone.

I noticed last night after I upgraded my iPhone 11 Pro to iOS 14 that it complained that my current wifi network (my Orbi RBR850 one) wasn't using a Private Address.  It was strange, because clicking the (i) icon showed that Private Address was selected.  So I switched to one of my other wireless networks and then tried to switch back to Orbi RBR850 and it kept asking for the password.  I typed the correct password multiple times but it refused to connect.  I believe I also tried forgetting the network and connecting again but still the password was not accepted.  I too thought that there might be an iOS 14 connectivity problem with the Orbi.

However, now I believe it is just an iOS 14 bug.  I don't recall exactly what I did, maybe turned off Wireless or forgot the network again.  I may have toggled the Private Address option (it tells you that you'll need to rejoin the wi-fi network if you do).  I was able to connect to the Orbi RBR850 network on my iPhone and it recognized my password.  Here is also an article mentioning iOS 14 wi-fi problems and resolution steps: https://osxdaily.com/2020/09/18/how-fix-ios-ipados-14-wi-fi-problems/

Message 2 of 67
prabakarm
Tutor

Thanks.  I will try it.  My problem seems to be only with the orbi app connecting to the router so that I can manage it.  Rest of the apps in the phone works well.

Message 3 of 67
prabakarm
Tutor

Unfortunately still unable to connect to the router with the orbi app.

Message 4 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about any Orbi app problems over in the Orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Thank you. 

@prabakarm wrote:

Unfortunately still unable to connect to the router with the orbi app.

Message 5 of 67
Mikey94025
Hero

Make sure you upgrade/download the latest Orbi app version from the App Store.  Version 2.6.3.1 was released 1d ago and says (I just tried the app and it accessed my Orbi RBR850, I granted access to look for local devices when the iOS14 permission dialog prompted it upon first app launch - like many other apps):

iOS14 support.  Please ensure that you grant "Local Network" access so that the app can communicate with your Orbi WiFi system.

Message 6 of 67
glenfaj26
Guide

I am having the same issue. Ever since i updated to IOS 14, my Orbi Network app could not connect to my wifi, although my iphone wifi is connected to my Orbi wifi. Now I could not manage my Orbi network thru the iphone Orbi app. 

Help??

Message 7 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

iOS14 support.  Please ensure that you grant "Local Network" access so that the app can communicate with your Orbi WiFi system.

@glenfaj26 wrote:

I am having the same issue. Ever since i updated to IOS 14, my Orbi Network app could not connect to my wifi, although my iphone wifi is connected to my Orbi wifi. Now I could not manage my Orbi network thru the iphone Orbi app. 

Help??

Message 8 of 67
glenfaj26
Guide

Yes, access to local network is granted but still having issues.
Message 9 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

Please continue to post over in the Orbi app forum regarding this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Thank you. 

@glenfaj26 wrote:
Yes, access to local network is granted but still having issues.

Message 10 of 67
ejnOrbiUser
Aspirant

On my ipad I cannot connect to Router after ios 14 upgrade.  On my iphone I can connect after enabling the Local Network option on the Orbi app.  I do not have this option on the Orbi app ion my iPad.  

Message 11 of 67
afff50v2
Guide

has anyone been able to get their orbi app to connect?  since the latest apple update - i can't get my orbi app to open.  my wifi is working but i have not been able to get the app to work to update the firmware? or see anything on the app.  I have never been so frustrated with a product!  have almost hated it since day one.  Can't change the admin passord using the website they link to - won't open at all on three different browsers.  my password on the the app works, gets to the screen that says it is trying to connect with my product and then says it can't connect.  have rebooted the router, have tried to set up as new, nothing works!  what is happening???  I do have wifi - but can't do any routine checkup on the system or firmware updates.  anyone?  Bueller?  please help.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 67

UNABLE TO CONNECT TO WIFI AFTER iOS 14 upgrade. Have RBR50

I just upgraded to iOS 14 on my iPhone 11 Pro Max.  Just not able to connect to WiFi.  Orbi is working well, WiFi is working well on all other devices except my iPhone.  Tried most of the stuff recommended in various sites.  No luck so far.  Is there a firmware update required? Very frustrating.  

Message 13 of 67
Arkvader
Aspirant

Re: UNABLE TO CONNECT TO WIFI AFTER iOS 14 upgrade. Have RBR50

I am having the same issue.  I can connect via Anywhere Access, but the app believes I am not connected to the local WiFi network.  I reinstalled the app and no changes.  I pulled out my iPad, which had not been updated to iOS 14, installed the Orbi app and had no problem connecting.  I guess my troubleshooting isolates the iOS upgrade as the problem so it sounds like we're waiting for an update to the app to resolve.  I will try opening a ticket with Netgear support.  Maybe if enough people do it, we can expedite a fix.

Message 14 of 67
Arkvader
Aspirant

Re: UNABLE TO CONNECT TO WIFI AFTER iOS 14 upgrade. Have RBR50

About opening a ticket with Support.  Strike that, because I'm not paying for support beyond 90 days.  They basically leave you to the "Community" for a solution.  Very frustrating since they're the only ones that can fix this.  We'll have to wait for an update to the app.

Message 15 of 67

Try disconnecting from VPN and in my case it worked.

Go to Setting

Choose General

Scroll Down to VPN and

Click on VPN and disconnect it.

Hope this works for others too

Message 16 of 67

Disconnect VPN from SEttings ->General --> VPN and then disconnect.  It worked for me

Message 17 of 67
Arkvader
Aspirant

Thank you SSTHANUNATHAN.  This worked.

Message 18 of 67
Dpalmer1008
Aspirant

It’s not working for me. I’m not using a VPN to deactivate.
Message 19 of 67
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dpalmer1008 - May you reboot your iOS device and let us know the outcome.

Christian 

Message 20 of 67
glenfaj26
Guide

I have rebooted my RBR50 device so many times, still not working. 

I find this issue weird because the Orbi app on my iPhone 8, iPad Pro, and iPhone 7 all can connect to my local network EXCEPT on my iPhone XS which is my primary phone. I have also tried the following options without any success: resetting my iphone network settings; forgetting my wifi network and logging back on; deleting the Orbi app and downloading it again. I do not use a VPN, so nothing to turn off. 

This is the most annoying issue I ever had with this Orbi router. I hope the Netgear technicians would put this issue a priority to fix. 

Message 21 of 67
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@glenfaj26 - Have you had a moment to enable local network access on your iOS device? If not, please refer to the article below. You may need to reboot your iOS device and reinstall the Orbi app if you're able to view this feature in your iOS devices' settings.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062316/Why-am-I-being-asked-to-let-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-apps-connect-to-d...

Christian 

Message 22 of 67
rwenig
Aspirant

I too had the same problem.

I had installed the Orbi app on IOS 13 and it was working.

After the IOS upgrade -- not so -- I could not connect to the device via WIfi -- only with the anywhere access.

Netgear's advice was dead wrong -- because the option to Access the Local Network does not show up.

I deleted/removed the orbi app and then reinstalled. Then the option is present.

Now it works.

Netgear support -- not so good here.

Message 23 of 67
ChrisKing
Guide

I’m glad other people are having the same problem as I’m also experiencing this.
I am using the iPhone 11 with iOS version 14. The latest app version on the store for me is 2.6.4.13.
It refuses to detect my product, and when I try and go to enable local network, there is no option or slight switch to toggle this on. I have now deleted the app twice and re-added it and still the option is missing.
The only way I can connect using the app is through anywhere connect.
I have even found the local network settings inside the phone and there is no way to manually add the option for Orbi.
Netgear definitely need to fix this as this is quite a annoying bug!
Message 24 of 67
Stev3D
Luminary

Not intending to be cranky, but what’s the point? So many people are having this problem on such a wide variety of devices one has to wonder if NETGEAR or the app developer are actually doing any testing in advance of an OS update — it so they wait until the users show up with pitchforks and torches before they do anything about bugs.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 25 of 67
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7